997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997.1 Dguth's Forged Engine Build

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 09:28 AM
Dguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of light
997.1 Dguth's Forged Engine Build

Good morning everyone,

I thought I'd start a fresh thread documenting the current build. For those that remember my previous thread, mine was the one that after installing a few mods had the dreaded camshaft error (spun sleeve). I was faced with a decision to just fix/pin the cams or go for a complete engine build making the car stronger and faster.

Well, my decision was to make it stronger and faster. Huge thanks to Sam at By Design who's been instrumental in pulling all of this together! Can't say enough about his support & advice, quick response and ability to move this along at a pretty fast pace.

Our overall goal for the build was to get around 900hp & 900 torque, maintain daily drivability, have power come in early & broad across the RPM range and keep power within tolerance not to damage transmission and suspension components.

First about the car, it's a 2007 Porsche 997.1, manual with about 25k miles. Great condition and has from the factory the full Techart package. Including pictures above. We decided to have Jon Bray rebuild the motor and go ahead an build it into a forged 3.8L. I'm attaching below a list of the engine modification along with upgraded/added bolt ons.

Should be one of a kind vehicle and something I'll keep for a long time! Engine rebuild is complete, it's back at Sam's shop and I'll be posting updates and pictures along the way including dyno charts once available.

Engine

By Design/EVOSpec 1200hp Capable 3.8 Stage 2+ build

- Full R&R and replacement of all wear items
- Cam Pinning
- Forged 3.8 With ring pak, Spec skirt and Coatings large pin
- Darton sleeves
- Case machine and final Cyl hone
- CP Forged Pistons
- Spec Carillo H Beam Rods
- Stage 2+ CNC Heads
- Inconel valves and Spec seats
- Ti valve springs and hardware for 8000 rpm
- Spec Intake and Exhaust cams
- Spec Crank finish/balance
- Spec 12mm head stud kit
- Spec custom head gaskets
- Spec bearing upgrade

Bolt-Ons

By Design Stage 4+

- By Design/TiAL 68mm+ GT2 turbochargers
- By Design 4.5 inch intercoolers 2.5 in/out
- Silicone boost hose Kit
- Silicone Turbo inlet pipes
- Billet Forge DV's
- BMC Filter
- IPD 82mm Plenum and GT3 Throttle body
- IPD Y-Pipe
- Kline Equal Length Headers
- By Design/Kline 76/70mm Race/Street exhaust
- Denso Plugs Gap .025
- 2nd Gen factory coils
- ID1300 Fuel Injectors
- Cobb AP
- Custom Dyno tuning
- SRE Sport Clutch
- New Dual Mass Flywheel
- DSC suspension module
- TS rear toe links

Last edited by Dguth; 08-16-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:23 AM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
SUBSCRIBED TO THIS THREAD!!

Beautiful machine BTW, I know I am a little bias as I have the same colour and body package!

This should be a wicked street power band of a machine with a built 3.8, VTG's & top end head work!! Allowing the full TQ of the VTG's with the built 3.8 should be amazing & better flowing up top with head work.....this should be sweet!

It is very rare lately to see someone build a drivers car the way Porsche would of made it with a great daily power band with out having to have your motor screaming to have fun, but retain low end response, boost & TQ etc.

Very interested on the outcome as I weigh out keeping my machine I have always wanted (my current 997) and doing the same as you & just keep it for a VERY long time or picking up 991 for the only reason that I would do STG4+, but I would drive it a lot more & just sell when something newer or better comes out....so I am watching this thread closely.

Your in great hands with Sam!

Old 08-16-2017, 10:31 AM
Dguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Bobbyfali
SUBSCRIBED TO THIS THREAD!!

Beautiful machine BTW, I know I am a little bias as I have the same colour and body package!

This should be a wicked street power band of a machine with a built 3.8, VTG's & top end head work!! Allowing the full TQ of the VTG's with the built 3.8 should be amazing & better flowing up top with head work.....this should be sweet!

It is very rare lately to see someone build a drivers car the way Porsche would of made it with a great daily power band with out having to have your motor screaming to have fun, but retain low end response, boost & TQ etc.

Very interested on the outcome as I weigh out keeping my machine I have always wanted (my current 997) and doing the same as you & just keep it for a VERY long time or picking up 991 for the only reason that I would do STG4+, but I would drive it a lot more & just sell when something newer or better comes out....so I am watching this thread closely.

Your in great hands with Sam!

Thanks Bobby, appreciate it - great points!

Old 08-16-2017, 08:33 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Sounds like fun. A good combination of upgrades that don't require going completely nuts, while getting 90% of the power that builds that cost 4x make.

You are using GT2 hotside 68mm turbos? That will help quite a bit.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:00 PM
trbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud of
Very nice! What will you use for engine management? Stock ECU or standalone? I see Cobb listed but wouldn't you want some safeties in there that standalones provide? Why Cobb?

Old 08-16-2017, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by rix
Sounds like fun. A good combination of upgrades that don't require going completely nuts, while getting 90% of the power that builds that cost 4x make.

Thanks Rix! Yes, Sam has had these "unicorn" set of GT2 turbos and somehow I was fortunate enough for him to use them on this build and upgrade the internals.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by trbofvr
Very nice! What will you use for engine management? Stock ECU or standalone? I see Cobb listed but wouldn't you want some safeties in there that standalones provide? Why Cobb?
I will defer to Sam on answering that question. It's a little outside of my knowledge expertise. I know we've been custom tuning the car through the Cobb device and believe his plans are to continue that. We will have two files, one for 93 pump and one for E85 fuel. The ECU on the car currently is a Techart ECU. Not sure if that makes a difference but it was part of the Techart power package that was put on the car when ordered from the factory. Somebody paid a heck of a lot of money for that package at the time.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:29 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Super excited D! I have all the new SRE clutch parts installed and we will get it all mated up and in this week!

trbo the Cobb AP has been an awesome tool for us and we have many records with 007 and 991 VTG cars running it. I love it and the support from them. We have all factory safeties in full effect and this car will run liker a stock one...but with almost double the power

Old 08-17-2017, 12:12 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rix

It'll be pretty snappy Dan!

Old 08-17-2017, 01:55 AM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dguth
Thanks Rix! Yes, Sam has had these "unicorn" set of GT2 turbos and somehow I was fortunate enough for him to use them on this build and upgrade the internals.
This was very similar to my original plan - but it took so long to get things done my budget kept expanding . Should be good for solid extra horsepower over standard 68mm VTGs, and less heat -- which is always the enemy of the VTG.

Sam gets things done fast, I doubt you'll have the delays that I did. Shameless plug, my Accessport is for sale in the classifieds

Old 08-17-2017, 12:33 PM
rix
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
900 awhp on 1300 cc injectors?
I wondered that too, should just about max out ID1300s... Might be worth going to ID1700s, but I'm not sure how well it would idle on 93.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:58 PM
Former Vendor
800 wheel as stated. 900 crank.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:51 PM
Former Vendor
Thanks Steve!

Hopefully for most it's all in the 1st post. 900hp, not whp DynoJet AWHP to be clear.

Later I mentioned 800wheel (AWHP) to be my personal goal while monitoring everything. We have over 10 By Design Stage 4 997 cars on stock motors over 700wheel...All wheel. Followed by about 20 of over 107 By Design Stage 4 991TT 3.8 cars with the 68mm non-GT2 VTG's making 720-750 AWP and setting records. Then Mark Blackwell's 991 with a By Design/Spec motor running 819 AWHP and running full 1/2 miles no problem with our same TiAL VTG set up. It's a lot of fun!

So we are emulating that motor build. No DI but running E85 so I think we can get pretty close to this...

Old 08-17-2017, 01:56 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by IMI A
Fabulous build. Nice to see someone trying to push the boundaries with VTGS again on 997.1 platform

Sam could be holding a few more records soon. 177mph the record by any VTG car at 1/2 mile I think? In fact Sambo By Design's record

Looking forward to see some VBOX figures up to 1/2 mile.

What trap speed are you hoping for at 1/2 mile Sambo?
Hi mate. I know you have your eyes on this one with GT2 hot sides
This car will be a real hoot every day! If I had to guess 180 is a realistic goal in the 1/2. 1/4 mid to high 140's maybe. I say that because MB's 991 ran 148 on a slipping PDK tester. Our other 700wheel 997's I think sit right around 140 now.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:06 PM
Former Vendor
Yeah I hear you it's not about the $ for us. The way we tune and run the curve we are able to do pretty well with fuel. Better than others I have seen. I think M3 Maestro has some great data where we got him more power and his fuel consumption was 10-15% better. I am fortunate to have a pretty great team. Running a VTG car up Pike's Peak for 10 min straight at insane temps and fuel demand you learn a lot. Some of my guys have run PP for 5 years among other things and bring a lot to the table. If fuel proves to be an issue we will go up but for now we feel pretty good about our targets. If it comes to it we will take 780 on 1300's running like stock over 800+ going big. it's a chain reaction as Dan mentioned. Going BIG to some is not even the tip haha.

...sorry about that blurry pic guys

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 997.1 Dguth's Forged Engine Build