Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Continental GT battery questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 09:23 AM
Forster1993 is an unknown quantity at this point
Continental GT battery questions

So I've ordered a CTEK battery tender but I'm waiting on it arriving.

Today I went to my car and the central locking wasn't working opened the car with the key and everything was dead. But the car would start.

So I'm guessing this means the main battery is dead?

When charging is there anything special to it? Or do I literally connect my unit onto the terminals?

Also should I swap the tender between the batteries? As far as I know it won't charge both batteries with it only connected to one?

​​​

Old 09-17-2017, 09:30 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
I plug my CTEK into the 12V outlet in the trunk/boot. It does charge both batteries. Connecting to the terminals is a PITA as you have to remove the battery panels and the house battery terminal is VERY unusual. Better to use a cigarette adaptor for your connection.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:37 AM
I haven't noticed a 12v plug in the boot? where abouts is it?

Old 09-17-2017, 09:47 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
In my 2005, it is on the left side of the trunk (looking at the car from the rear) ahead of the battery panel. It's about half way up the wall. Normally, it is closed and appears as a small 3 inch flat plastic panel. By pressing the panel the receptacle is opened.

Old 09-17-2017, 02:22 PM
Just had a look and I can see the plastic panel you were talking about? And it's okay to charge via that then? I take it the charge should be low current anyway shouldn't it?

Old 09-17-2017, 03:01 PM
PMS
If you plug your CTEK into that receptacle, it will charge both batteries. I leave my CTEK connected 95% of the time it is sitting in the garage. The Bentley Continental GT EATS batteries!!

It will take the CTEK about 4-7 hours (or longer) to recharge your batteries. Once charged, the CTEK will monitor the batteries and top them up as needed. If your house battery is flat, you may not be able to recharge it and hold the charge (worst case scenario). (You will know this if the monitor light never turns steady green.) Depending upon how you have your car's monitors set, the charge light will change from green to red briefly if you trigger a monitor (e.g. open a door, etc.).

Old 10-19-2017, 08:05 AM
BentleyOwnergdc is an unknown quantity at this point
A couple of questions, if I may... I know this may be a stupid question but when you say you can plug the CTek into the 12 volt outlet in the trunk, are you saying you don't need to plug anything into a wall outlet?

Also, which CTek tender model do you recommend for charging both batteries in the Continental GT? mine is a 2006 which I just purchased.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:09 AM
Yes it need to be in the wall outlet and then charges the car via the 12v socket

I've also fitted the LED lit comfort connect cable to the starter battery which indicates when the battery is low. In which case I swap my CTEK over however that one shouldn't really go down as there's no load on it when stationary.

I have a MXS 5.0

Old 10-19-2017, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the quick reply!

Old 10-19-2017, 08:52 AM
PMS
Both batteries will be charged by the single outlet in the trunk. I am using the MUS 4.3 version of CTEK. It does have to be plugged into the wall.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:08 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BentleyOwnergdc
A couple of questions, if I may... I know this may be a stupid question but when you say you can plug the CTek into the 12 volt outlet in the trunk, are you saying you don't need to plug anything into a wall outlet?
I am sorry, but I just have to ask , is your thinking that you would plug the C-Tek into the 12 volt power supply socket on the vehicle, so the battery in the vehicle would power the C-Tek to charge the same batteries that are powering the C-Tek....... ?

Sounds like perpetual motion.......

Old 10-19-2017, 12:45 PM
That was my confusion....when i initially read the post I thought how is the battery supposed to power the CTek to charge the battery? .....

Old 10-19-2017, 03:12 PM
Arachnophobia will become famous soon enoughArachnophobia will become famous soon enough
Well, I guess I will throw out another thought. So, after you plug the ctek in to the 12vt accessory plug in the trunk, then you plug the other end into a wall socket, do you leave the trunk open while it is charging? One might think it might have been a better idea to put some external accessory outlet on the outside of the vehicle underneath for charging? I only ask since I don't know his this all works as I have never used a charger on mine.

Old 10-19-2017, 03:52 PM
PMS
You plug into the trunk and the wall. Leave the charger outside the trunk on the floor. Close the trunk over the connecting wire. The rubber trunk seal is flexible enough not to crush the wire. Ensure that closing the trunk does not disconnect the cigarette plug inside the trunk. The ctek unit will flash if you have disconnected it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.