Rear spoiler over the engine - when does it deploy?

Old 10-02-2017, 07:31 AM
Little Gator will become famous soon enough
Rear spoiler over the engine - when does it deploy?

My 2015 911 has a rear spoiler over the engine that is totally impossible to ever see while driving if it is deployed or not. I can check that it does work when parked if I deploy it on purpose. But it is total faith that is has deployed during driving. If it has deploys automatically, there is no way that I found to determine what position it is in. I also couldn't find any information about what speed is it suppose to deploy, and what speed is it suppose to close. Does anyone know some of this information?

Old 10-02-2017, 07:35 AM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Depending on the vehicle speed and the position of the slide/tilt roof, the rear spoiler extends automatically at above approx. 75 mph (120 km/ h) and retracts again below approx. 50 mph (80 km/h).

If you have a sunroof (and its opened), the spoiler deploys at an even greater angle.
You can barely see the top edge of the deployed spoiler in your rear view mirror.

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...ting-principle

Old 10-02-2017, 09:02 AM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
As “dux” discussed, when engaged automatically, the rear spoiler obscures the bottom edge of view from the rear view mirror.

Old 10-15-2017, 09:49 PM
JDDarkside is on a distinguished road
I have never checked my 991, but on my 997.2 I actually had my young son ride in the back seat and watch, and tell me when it went up (120 km/hr) and down again at 60 km/hr

Old 10-16-2017, 12:41 PM
trovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nice
it is a lot easier to see it on 997, but not 991. but if you move up a little you can see the upper edge.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:24 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Best way to see it is very late afternoon with the sun at your 3 o'clock low. Look at the shadow of the car at your 8 o'clock low. Easy to tell when deployed. Don't forget to check your 12 often!

Old 10-18-2017, 08:40 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
I only bought my 991 2CS because I could see the spoiler go up and and up again and down too! If you have a cab, you need someone following you with a camera.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:45 PM
Tpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to all
It will trigger a dash light if it does not work.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:38 PM
cfpchfc1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by chuckbdc
I only bought my 991 2CS because I could see the spoiler go up and and up again and down too! If you have a cab, you need someone following you with a camera.
Better view on a Turbo 991

Old 10-21-2017, 10:50 AM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
On my 991S, I couldn't see it even if I sat up in my seat...with the GTS, I can see it deployed at the lowest angle. Maybe due to the wide body?

Old 10-21-2017, 11:58 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by chance6
On my 991S, I couldn't see it even if I sat up in my seat...with the GTS, I can see it deployed at the lowest angle. Maybe due to the wide body?
Could be you keep the seat in a lower position than I do.

I believe that in the GTS the spoiler always deploys in the higher position that mine (C2S with SPASM) goes to when the sunroof is popped.

Old 10-21-2017, 12:06 PM
af330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by dux
If you have a sunroof (and its opened), the spoiler deploys at an even greater angle.
You can barely see the top edge of the deployed spoiler in your rear view mirror.

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...ting-principle
I thought this was only for cars with Spasm, I only have pasm and when I tried it manually I didn’t notice any difference in the spoiler position.

I have tried many angles with my exterior and interior rear view mirrors and have yet in 5 1/2 years ever seen my spoiler ever go up or down automatically.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:12 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by cfpchfc1
Better view on a Turbo 991
Correct. It can be seen in the rear view mirror in the turbo cabriolet in the first position at 125 kph, and easily seen in the fully extended position at 150 kph.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.