Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

DBS Tailight Moisture

Old 10-18-2017, 02:44 PM
Mike991 is on a distinguished road
DBS Tailight Moisture

My newly purchased 2011 DBS Volante has moisture inside both taillights in exactly the same area. Has anyone experienced this?

Old 10-18-2017, 03:06 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Extremely common problem - if you have an extended warranty use it and you just paid for the year with repairs, if not, try to get a good price used - not hard to replace yourself, but be sure to get matching colors (they come in black and grey trim). I've had 5 Vantages - and 4 of them had same problem (all under warranty).

Old 10-18-2017, 03:27 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
+1 +1 +1

Mike,

This is a normal fact of life for a AM. If they sit in weather this happens. If you pressure wash them this happens. If you wash often then this happens. The FACTORY repair I believe was to drill a small hole in the back casing, put in moisture absorbers into the light, then seal with a rubber plug. There is a thread on that procedure.

New ones are like 1k or so. Check REDPANTS.lol a forum sponsor for new ones if you need them or get them on eBay etc....... Used might make you end up with the same issue you have now. MINE were new in 2013 on my DB9, they moisten up everytime I wash it. Part of life. I don't care, the car is worth it to me to deal with it. But if a warranty replacement is on hand that is different. No warranty, leave it and minimize the water near it, or fix it like the shop manual says.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:39 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
^^ As above.

IMO you should push for a free replacement. This problem is so common and well documented, that there is no question it is due to a design or manufacturing defect, and as such Aston should have come clean on this a long time ago.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:22 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
It's how the lamps are installed that causes the fault. On the outermost ends if you press lightly and there is no movement the lamp is in too tight and will open the sealing area on the lens to the housing. Instant funnel created that will allow water in when washed. There needs to be a gap from the body 2-3 cm in that area. If you buy new lamps spend the time to install them correctly.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:23 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Sorry that should be 2-3mm gap to body quarter.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:14 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Very interesting. First time I have read that here or on Pistonheads. Basically, what you are saying is that many cars had the lamps installed incorrectly at the factory. This would certainly not surprise me.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:26 PM
Yes sir, and the problem can continue if the new lamps are not installed correctly. If you remove the suspect lamp and have paint removed from the area of contact at the quarter panel area.That is the fault of opening the lamp to water ingress.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:22 AM
Thanks gents, very helpful as now I know it isn't just my car. Kind of a WTF moment but I wont let it bother me.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:25 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
In my experience with 5 vantages I've owned, that is the only re-occurring bug I've encountered.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:33 AM
That is good news. Seems like a solid car. I have paint bubbling up in 2 spots on the convertible top stowage cover. Have you had any paint problems on your cars?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo752.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	514592  
Old 10-19-2017, 08:39 AM
Never had any paint problems, but I do have leather shrinking on the dash (under warranty) on this newer one, which I never had in the past.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:17 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Mike991
That is good news. Seems like a solid car. I have paint bubbling up in 2 spots on the convertible top stowage cover. Have you had any paint problems on your cars?
If your car is a 2013, I would see a dealer for that. Quite possibly rust occurring I think under that. I forget what paint bubbling means. Likely water or moisture under the layer causing it. You see that on old cars a lot, and usually means rust I believe. Might be wrong so don't panic.

Well was wrong, aluminum panel like posted by others, and paint not adhering due to contamination during the paint process. Unless a warrantied car, Aston likely wont touch it. Deal with it till it gets too bad and then have someone respray it.

Last edited by SheriffDep; 10-19-2017 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Incorrect Information
Old 10-19-2017, 01:20 PM
randyb will become famous soon enoughrandyb will become famous soon enough
I have that on mine too, it is from the panting process. Tonneau covers are aluminum and they attach something (not sure what) to the panel and from what I was told that if they didn't clean that off before primer and paint, that the paint would not adhere properly. Was told that at 2 different dealers, could be just a line or the truth, not sure which.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by Prefurbia
In my experience with 5 vantages I've owned, that is the only re-occurring bug I've encountered.
I learned my lesson with my V8V. Since then, very careful when washing the back of the car and no problems, knock on wood.

On the other hand, the misting headlights and creaking tailgate requiring constant tweaking of the stoppers have been cheerfully present on all 3 of my Vantages.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.