Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2011 Aston Vantage Sportshift Downshift Lag DSC Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 08:55 PM
BearN420 is an unknown quantity at this point
2011 Aston Vantage Sportshift Downshift Lag DSC Problem

Hi Everyone ,
New member here and need some technical advice or if someone has had experience. Have a 2011 Vantage N420 with 4.7 and sportshift transmission. Lately I found how to disable DSC ( Thanks to these forums) and tried it out but my transmission is acting up and have only driving it 30 minutes and 5 easy takeoffs with full gas at around 2k rpm to get wheels to spin. No full throttle off the bat, just let clutch engage and then give it gas. If I disable DSC , and try creep it puts it into N within 2 seconds ( Doesn't matter if it is 1st or reverse) Then it will work for like 4-5 takeoffs in first and then the next time it will rev high like its slipping. Then it will slightly slip through most gears through 5th. ( No clutch smell though) I shut car off and leave DSC on ( Light Off) and it works great! No slipping , 4th or 5th gear pedal to floor @ 45-50MPH no slipping in revs . When the car DSC is disabled for the first 4-5 takeoffs , there is no slipping and the tail wags easily. It seems like after 5-6 stops , the computer forgets and needs to be shutdown and restarted. Around this time I have noticed that the sport downshifts have a lag ( 2-3 seconds) and it bangs in no matter if DSC is disabled or on. ( Worse when cold goes almost away when warm) Before, it would be instant rev match downshift but now it jerks you forward. Also I have tried to do the neutral when going and then pulling lever to get into a gear, but mine just ground like trying to find a gear! Others have said their cars pop into right gear but mine didn't. I have done 5-8 clutch relearns when I got the car and have done 1 each time I take it out. Regular creep just fully engages clutch and doesn't jerk, just steady. The battery was replaced before I got car and so I made sure to do misfire corrections ( Thanks irish) and scanner reads that it has been learnt. I have put over 3K miles on car within 3 months and since then haven't had any issues apart from a stutter and 1 coastdown engine kill. It drives fine with traction control but sometimes I like to wag the tail ! I believe I still need to take it in for the recall ( Got it in June 2017) so wondering if any else has had this problem? It is getting winterized now so next spring it will be going to dealer for recall so any information would help to notify dealer. Unknown clutch history ( has 26,700 miles on odometer) , unknown upgrades no fault codes in engine side using cheap OBD scanner. I drive with slight toe lifting changing gears , let clutch fully engage before giving it throttle, full open high rpm shifts are right on and instant and don't abuse it - just drive it like it should ! (Clean the carbon out of the cylinders.) It doesn't sound like a clutch issue , more of a computer problem to me. If it was the clutch wouldn't it slip all the time and not only when DSC is disabled? Thanks for the replies

Old 10-21-2017, 07:44 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Why not take it in for the recall and have them get a read of the clutch measurements and any codes stored. With that mileage it very well could be a clutch. Put some money aside during winter storage into a clutch fund if that's the case.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:42 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
For future reference, try to use paragraphs. This was so long, got lost while trying to read so didn't finish.

Old 10-21-2017, 05:28 PM
BearN420 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ya I hear you XJRS , the older you get its harder to concentrate . They make a pill for that
I guess I would be better off to PM a tech but since I'm new I can't do that. Thought the 2 Gurus's on here might read it and try to figure it out or have a direction to point me in . Either way, I plan on putting in a Velocity AP Twin plate but don't want that to get screwed up by a software problem in TCU . Stuart said in an earlier post that he was going to offer it around $3450 essentially taking off $1000 from price to compete with the AMR offering. I might have to contact him to see if that deal is still good.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.