997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

New 997.1TT owner here with a couple questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 12:29 PM
wkp42 is an unknown quantity at this point
New 997.1TT owner here with a couple questions

Hello all. I took delivery of my stock 2007 911 turbo a week ago and have already put 1,000 miles on it. I can’t stop driving it, I think I’m addicted to the car already.

The first question I have is about about the tiptronic transmission. When driving normally it shifts very smooth and feels very comfortable. Under spirited driving and full acceleration it has a slight clunk when
up shifting. The clunk feels like it happens a splitfraction of a second before it goes into the next gear. This clunk can be felt when in manual mode and up shifting at around 3-4K rpms with half throttle (around 5psi) almost the same as when at full throttle and shift at 6700k (around 13psi). There’s is absolutely no clunk when in auto mode and just casually cruising along and barely getting to 2-4psi. Can someone please shine some light on this? I have never owned a 911 turbo and did not test drive any other 997tt before I bought mine. One of my Cayenne Turbos was the 1st gen we the tiptronic transmission and it did not have this clunk on upshifting and it had 125,000 plus miles when I sold it. What could this be? Or is this normal?

2nd question. It also has a weird clunk when down shifting from 2nd to 1st when you are slowing down and reach about 5-10mph. If I use the steering wheel buttons to downshift to 1st at like 15-20 mph it does not clunk and gives a beautiful exhaust note when it snaps down a gear instantly, but I worry this is abuse on the box(even though it feels much better and how I think the transmission should function). If you let the car downshift on it’s own when you’ve almost completely stopped you can a hear and feel the transmission downshifting into 1st and get the clunk. I did experience this exact same problem in my 2006 Cayenne TT but never investigated it. Anyone know what causes this and how to fix it?

Old 10-21-2017, 01:47 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Hi wk,

Congrats and welcome! It can be a few things but my first guess is the trans mount. Also you can have a pressure test performed to see if she is running ti-top. If not that also can cause it and there is a vacuum line and solenoid that goes to the trans. Feel free to reach out if I can help you with any details or perhaps a friendly in your area to take a look.

Nice clean car!

Old 10-21-2017, 02:53 PM
wkp42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Hi wk,

Congrats and welcome! It can be a few things but my first guess is the trans mount. Also you can have a pressure test performed to see if she is running ti-top. If not that also can cause it and there is a vacuum line and solenoid that goes to the trans. Feel free to reach out if I can help you with any details or perhaps a friendly in your area to take a look.

Nice clean car!

Thanks for chiming in. I would love to know if there are any 997 tt tip owners in eastern NC (where I live) that could drive mine and see if it feels normal. Also do you know anywhere in eastern NC that you recommend to get this car looked at. Not exactly a hot bed for Porsche’s (only 2 other Carreras in my town) and no one specializes in them, let alone transmission work.

Something else i noticed it that it that if you start to move as soon as the car is put in drive it has a hesitation almost like something is scratching or dragging while it’s engaging. If you put in drive and wait 1-2 seconds before you go it doesn’t do this.

I also see that while the car is idling it bounces up and down +/-20rpms. Looks to be (reading gauge) 760-780 rpms up and down. Neither of my Cayenne TT did this. Is this normal for these cars?

I appreciate your time.

Last edited by wkp42; 10-21-2017 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Change info
Old 10-21-2017, 05:59 PM
bgrpph has a spectacular aura aboutbgrpph has a spectacular aura aboutbgrpph has a spectacular aura about
Not sure of miles on your car but could be eng or trans mounts-
i've '07 997TT tip w 34k miles on it that i've had for 4+ yrs- never had the clunk u speak of- i did get trans fluid, trans filter & diff fluid changed few yrs ago at dealer-just for peaceof mind- i got a 6 yr $250 ded fidelity platinum warranty few yrs ago just before my CPO ran out just in case-

wife has a '07 boxster S tip- has 78K miles on it- boxster eng mounts & trans are diff than the TT but.. her car did have a bit of a thunk in feb '17- not exactly- but similar to what u're describing-.one could hear/feel it- i rarely drove it but when i did it was definitely noticeable to me- it also has fidelity platinum warranty- took it to dealer- it needed new front motor mount, & other stuff- all covered by fidelity warranty- got car back no more thunk - so it was front mount on the Boxster causing the thunk.

Last edited by bgrpph; 10-22-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:49 AM
ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !
Like Sam said you can check the trans mount and you can also check the guibo flex on the drive shaft.

Old 10-23-2017, 03:53 PM
MK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by wkp42
Thanks for chiming in. I would love to know if there are any 997 tt tip owners in eastern NC (where I live) that could drive mine and see if it feels normal. Also do you know anywhere in eastern NC that you recommend to get this car looked at. Not exactly a hot bed for Porsche’s (only 2 other Carreras in my town) and no one specializes in them, let alone transmission work.

Something else i noticed it that it that if you start to move as soon as the car is put in drive it has a hesitation almost like something is scratching or dragging while it’s engaging. If you put in drive and wait 1-2 seconds before you go it doesn’t do this.

I also see that while the car is idling it bounces up and down +/-20rpms. Looks to be (reading gauge) 760-780 rpms up and down. Neither of my Cayenne TT did this. Is this normal for these cars?

I appreciate your time.
Yes I have the same issue when moving from reverse to drive. If you immediately press on the gas there's a hesitation and you feel almost as if gears are grinding and then it engages. Told this is normal. You just have to wait a good 1.5 seconds after changing gears before you press the gas.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:43 AM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
Have you noticed is this gets any better or worse after the car warms up?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.