Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Parking Brakes (help)!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 08:09 PM
Scottiejo is on a distinguished road
Parking Brakes (help)!

Hi all. So I have a problem, can't get the parking brakes back on! I replaced my rotors with the lightweight two piece Wilwood rotors today (ordered from Redpants). New pads on the main rotors were no problem. But with the new rotors I could not get the parking brakes back on. Seemed like the more I tried the more the piston pushed out. No way to fit them on now, even with the old worn pads.
Any suggestions?
By the way, screws holding the rotors on suck! Had to chisel all of them out! Rotors needed a lot or persuasion by a huge red rubber mallet to get off too.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:48 PM
Thank you Kanga. I was trying to figure out the manual adjustment but was looking on the backside where there isn't any. I'll post the results!

Old 11-03-2017, 09:14 AM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
Parking brake special tool

I had the same issues when I installed the two piece rotors over two years ago.

Rewinding the parking brake piston can be a challenge, as clearances are rather close when the calipers are assembled.
The workshop manual in Installation step 2 calls to "Retract pistons into calipers (special tool?)"

See Installation instruction #2.

I separated the two halves of one of the parking brake calipers. You can see the two holes in the top of the piston which are used to rewind the piston.

Two holed piston face

I made up a simple fixture using a flat washer, a nut and some rod material that I had in my garage-it took me about an hour to fabricate after I decided what needed to be done.
Only two holes needed to be drilled and the assembly was all press fit.

Piston side

Wrench side

Rewinding piston

The second question was how can I insert the fixture between the caliper body and the parking brake piston while still assembled?
After some failed attempts, I ended up using a tie-wrap around the washer which provided a "handle" and was thin enough to allow the wrench to fit as well.
The combination worked well enough on the other side that I didn't need split the parking brake caliper.

Side view

Top view

It probably took longer to make the fixture than to disassemble the second caliper, but if there is a next time, I'll be ready .

Old 11-03-2017, 11:44 AM
DonL,
Perfect explanation! Doesn't seem so difficult after all, other than the tight space.
Thanks!

Old 11-10-2017, 06:53 PM
Guy's thanks for the advice. It was actually very easy once I knew the simple process of screwing in the piston in. It should have been obvious.
The new Wilwoods and pads purchased from Redpants are great! Smoother braking for sure. I know it's in my head but the car feels lighter.

Old 06-22-2019, 05:37 PM
E5PR1T will become famous soon enough
A buddy of mine is replacing the ebrake pads right now. For some reason they couldn't punch out the 2 pins to remove the pads. Is there any special tricks to remove the pins?

Old 06-22-2019, 06:12 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
They are probably going the wrong way? The pins "exit" outward towards you.

Old 06-22-2019, 06:28 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
I used small vicegrips, clamped down in the center area of the pin. Then use a hammer to tap grips close to the jaws outward just as the tip with the retainer clip comes out. Then repeat with the other's.

Old 06-22-2019, 06:43 PM
E5PR1T will become famous soon enough
Thank you!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.