Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Panamera S owners check in-- Oil consumption and Cylinder Scoring?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 01:29 AM
newporsche is an unknown quantity at this point
2010 Panamera S owners check in-- Oil consumption and Cylinder Scoring?

Hey all, so I have been noticing very high oil consumption (1L for every 1000-2000km) and I am wondering if this could be possible cylinder scoring?

What other signs should I be looking for potential engine issues?

Can any other Panamera S 2010 owners let me know about your oil consumption to let me know if this is normal?

Old 12-15-2017, 12:50 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
did you make sure you don t have a leak somewhere under all that covering first?
You jumped right to the worse case.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:27 PM
i dont see any oil leaks, does a more thorough inspection need to be done at the mechanic?

anyone with the 2010 panamera getting really high oil consumption?

Old 12-16-2017, 10:39 AM
rmjjensen has a spectacular aura aboutrmjjensen has a spectacular aura aboutrmjjensen has a spectacular aura about
It is common to have high oil consumption but your numbers do sound high. At the end of the day, there's nothing you can do right? Do you have a valid warranty?

If you wanted, you can get a nice borescope camera, pull the plugs and put the camera in each cylinder to take a peak. It also might give you piece of mind...

Old 12-16-2017, 12:46 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
also make sure you are using the correct oil and weight first. Start with the simple, right oil, any underside leaks. I guess you may have seen oil dripping somewhere with a large loss as you claim.
A history would help too, like miles, how long you own it, when did you notice, are you measuring loss correctly or just give it to the dealer.

Old 12-16-2017, 04:16 PM
im monitoring it closely now, so far 500km driven and one bar has dropped on the oil display...the dealership said its normal but i think its excessive. the dealership put the oil in so im sure they used the right oil. i dont notice any oil leaks on the pavement but does a more thorough check need to be done?

Old 12-16-2017, 04:16 PM
also anyone with a 2010 panamera s also have this kind of oil consumption or am i alone?

Old 12-17-2017, 06:07 AM
everyone may not agree but if it was me I would want to see underside of engine/car and check oil filter, plug, oil lines etc for a small leak just to rule that out. Sounds like your car uses a little oil but I have seen many post in which a car uses oil like that. Porsche and other manufactures usually say that is within the allowable limits.

Old 12-17-2017, 10:21 AM
allroadusa has a spectacular aura aboutallroadusa has a spectacular aura about
Hi,
I can tell from European board that some of Panamera V8 engines will burn oil pretty quickly, from 1l every 8000 kms to 1l every 1000 kms.
This is not a sign of scored cylinder.
However, knocking noise AND oil consumption are not good sign.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:39 PM
what does the knocking noise sound like?

Old 12-19-2017, 06:15 AM
Originally Posted by newporsche
what does the knocking noise sound like?

depending on how bad it is but I would describe as taking your knuckles and tapping them on a wooden table. Like knocking on a door thus the term KNOCK. Don t panic because I think you would already know if you had it.

Old 12-19-2017, 06:21 AM
ok understood,

im going to have the oil topped up again, do you recommend i try using a different 0w40 oil rather than MOBIL1 to see if that helps with consumption? some people said maybe that could help? Any other oil brands you recommend for the panamera?

Old 12-19-2017, 07:21 AM
do you think doing the next top up with MOTUL 5w40 might help the situation?

Old 12-19-2017, 08:22 AM
You could try a different oil on the next change. Mixing a quart or two may do nothing.
FYI. I have another brand turbo car and I was told the oil level will vary greatly depending on when it is checked. I m not sure what the 2010 oil system is like and if it s the same as my 15 but I would just drive it and keep an eye. It doesn t have to always be on that full mark. As long as you are not below the min mark.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:54 PM
im thinking of changing the oil to the MOTUL 5w40 oil rather than the mobil1 0w40....is the 5w40 thicker and will slow oil consumption? i also heard MOTUL is better than mobil1

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2010 Panamera S owners check in-- Oil consumption and Cylinder Scoring?