Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2008 V8 vantage oil choice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 09:45 AM
Shortpballer is an unknown quantity at this point
2008 V8 vantage oil choice

Hey Everyone,
I知 sorry if we致e been over this a bunch of times, but I知 reading a bunch of conflicting messages about what oil we should be using. Should we be using Mobil 1 5w -30.

Ive read that somewhere along the way they changed it.

Not sure if it matters, but I live in California and my car is a Daily driver that is never tracked, but generally driven kind of hard.

Would just like to know what is the exact oil I should be buying (brand included)

Old 01-15-2018, 10:28 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Don't know where you getting conflicting stories on oil, everyone here uses 10-60. Castrol is mfr recomendation. Use any flavor you can get, just make sure in synthetic 10w-60.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:38 AM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Go with your owner's manual.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:12 PM
Shortpballer is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by J doubleU
Don't know where you getting conflicting stories on oil, everyone here uses 10-60. Castrol is mfr recomendation. Use any flavor you can get, just make sure in synthetic 10w-60.
I read somewhere online that even dealerships started using 5w-30 or 5w-40

Old 01-15-2018, 04:35 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
0w-40 for the V12, or 0w-20 for the V12 DB11.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:01 PM
kdm
kdm is a glorious beacon of lightkdm is a glorious beacon of lightkdm is a glorious beacon of lightkdm is a glorious beacon of lightkdm is a glorious beacon of light
Our V8V's typically use 10W/60

I just bought this
12 pack 12 pack
of Castrol EDGE SUPERCAR 10W-60 off Amazon.

Old 01-16-2018, 12:05 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
I just pick it up at the dealer when I'm there, which is fairly often! $14/qt.

When I picked mine up yesterday it was still in the bay and I asked if I could check the oil [it's f'n cold out]. He fired it up and ran the revs and popped the hood for me. I checked it, quart low. I asked, it's drinking a quart every 4000 miles, isn't that alot? He said, NO, that's really good. Evidently they like a little extra oil with the vinegar. Then when I was talking to the advisor about when service was due I found out it had been 5000 miles, so I guess it's extra good

Then we both realized it was due for service now, [I'm doing oil every 5-6000 so it will always be off schedule for all the rest] and they just had my car for 7 days doing software for England and I could have had them do the service at the same time! ;/

Old 01-17-2018, 09:44 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
my 2009 is burning a little less oil since I switched to Liqui Moly Synthoil Race Tech GT1 10w60, I pay $125 Cdn for 2 x 5L

Old 01-17-2018, 04:41 PM
silver997 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
When I picked mine up yesterday it was still in the bay and I asked if I could check the oil [it's f'n cold out]. He fired it up and ran the revs and popped the hood for me. I checked it, quart low. I asked, it's drinking a quart every 4000 miles, isn't that alot? He said, NO, that's really good. Evidently they like a little extra oil with the vinegar. Then when I was talking to the advisor about when service was due I found out it had been 5000 miles, so I guess it's extra good
Yea, mine drinks about 1l every 4k miles.

My 20k mint 3.6l 997 Porsche drank 1l every 1k miles. Apparently that is normal according to the manual. I sold that thing after 10 years of ownership. It was starting to use more and more oil. Just to put things into perspective.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:48 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
I'm really glad to hear, it was starting to worry me because that would point to a problem with any "regular" cars. Then again, I never ever checked the oil in my z's, I'd just go get it changed every 3k. But then I forgot for a year and 11k miles, and still have no idea if it was low, I never checked it, I just made an appointment and got it changed!

If it aint broke I usually never think about it. Now I care enough about my car to think about it, and still never checked the oil for the first 7000 miles I owed it, and was 2 quarts low. But it could have been low when I bought it LOL

Old 01-17-2018, 05:02 PM
I check the oil at least once a week. So that 1l is added about 200ml at a time. I try to keep that oil level perfectly in between the max an min line. Yea, i need to get a life. Lol.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:07 PM
I only checked because it was in a warm bay, and I needed to know what it's using after it being 2 low the last time. It was 1/2" over the min so I just asked "add a quart?" and he said yes. I'm not even sure if it's supposed to be in the middle or on the max line, but it's got 11 quarts, missing 1 isn't a tragedy. Missing 200ml.... you need a life!

BTW my last ticket was for passing on the right [and doing 106 in a 65... LOL]

Old 01-17-2018, 05:27 PM
AFAIK passing on the right is legal in here in Alberta. It must be, because "they" would have thrown me in jail and throw away the key and crushed my car into a cube long time ago.
Only pass on the right when safe. Just saying!

Old 01-17-2018, 05:31 PM
Only when working carefully thru traffic, which was why he couldn't write me for careless or aggressive or any of the other many options my state has. But since he could, he did, he was a little pissed after chasing me down for 20 miles

Old 01-22-2018, 07:55 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Funny, I wanted to drive my car yesterday and noticed it was low on oil. Went to Autozone first. No 10-60 oil of any brand. No Aston Martin on their computer drop down.

Went to Advance Auto Parts. No 10-60 on shelf, but they had 11 quarts of Castrol 10-60 "out back". Was able to order online (while in the store) and came out to about $12.50 a quart with an order online & pick up at the store discount.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2008 V8 vantage oil choice