Sponsored by:

Apple Car Play Installed- PICS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 11:12 PM
amgpan is an unknown quantity at this point
Apple Car Play Installed- PICS

So i installed this Apple CarPlay kit.
Well i personally didnt install it, i got it installed. Installation with a reverse camera cost me about $300 and the Kit itself cost $1000.
(AU Prices)

Everything works pretty well. It runs on Android (funnily enough!)
So in saying that has Android functionality also. Also has WiFi so can use your phone as a hotspot to go on internet, stream YouTube, Netflix etc.

The Apple carplay function is great for Maps. Forget about updating your NAV DVD in the PCM, just use the carplay.

Only drawback to car play (and this is across the board with carplay in general), is that you have to plug your phone in. (I think this is now overcome in the likes of the new BMW's (2018+ ) etc, where carplay allows you to connect wirelessly.

The reverse camera is also good, it has guidance lines, which are dynamic (they move with the steering wheel), as this carplay system is connected via Canbus.

A worthwhile upgrade.

Below is the link to where i bought it from:
http://www.naviplus.com.au/

Old 02-16-2018, 11:48 PM
negb is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by amgpan
Just wondering which one you have bought as I don't see any for Porsche

Old 02-17-2018, 01:48 AM
http://www.naviplus.com.au/online-st...Auto-c27643123

hmm, might have to contact them directly

Old 02-18-2018, 07:43 PM
OEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura about
Looks good, and hopefully a clean install. How did they interface it with the PCM? Have you retained PCM functionality? I'd be interested in any details you have to share just cause I'm curious.

Old 02-21-2018, 02:05 AM
Zero functionality of the PCM is lost.
To activate the car play, just press the NAVI button once. Thats the only difference. All the touch screen function works perfectly.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:45 AM
drviperdds is on a distinguished road
Does your phone have to be connected to the car via USB port at all times in order for the CarPlay to work?

Old 02-22-2018, 06:13 AM
Unfortunately yes. That is the draw back with ALL Apple Car Play systems (OEM & Aftermarket)

Its only the current BMW (Late 2017 and up) that have Wireless Car Play [AFAIK]. And im sure more will follow after that.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:45 AM
Ok, thanks. Guess I'll just make a custom iPad holder over the head display then. I did a similar install in my SV. Here's some pics

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	27021629_1519080311545713_5304017489179348445_o.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	521231   Click image for larger version

Name:	EzHuvuhsQIi2OaQAjyxtRQ.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	521232   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_18dc.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	2.61 MB
ID:	521233   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_18dd.jpeg
Views:	79
Size:	2.55 MB
ID:	521234  
Old 02-22-2018, 08:22 PM
OEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by drviperdds
Ok, thanks. Guess I'll just make a custom iPad holder over the head display then. I did a similar install in my SV. Here's some pics
That sir is a CLEAN install! very well done!

Old 02-22-2018, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by OEkun1
That sir is a CLEAN install! very well done!
Thanks! It turned out great. I'm very proud of it as I'm not a shop, rather customizing in my garage. The pad slides in and out as needed on the go.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:15 PM
Thanks! It turned out great. I'm very proud of it as I'm not a shop, rather customizing in my garage. The pad slides in and out as needed on the go.
Any additional pictures/thread? Feel free to PM me as I love watching/reading such processes.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by OEkun1
Any additional pictures/thread? Feel free to PM me as I love watching/reading such processes.
I have a couple of threads on Lambopower and Lamborghini-talk but pretty the same pics. I don't have too many of the pics in process making though.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:54 AM
I have a couple of threads on Lambopower and Lamborghini-talk but pretty the same pics. I don't have too many of the pics in process making though.
Duly noted.

Old 03-04-2018, 03:14 PM
tallpaul is on a distinguished road
Thanks for posting this, I might seriously consider grabbing one of these. Looks like a nice way to get Android Auto (or Apple Car Play).

I know you didn't install it, but it looks pretty easy from the kit. Get a sense from the installers how complicated it was? Or did it come with installation instructions you could post?

Originally Posted by amgpan
So i installed this Apple CarPlay kit.
Well i personally didnt install it, i got it installed. Installation with a reverse camera cost me about $300 and the Kit itself cost $1000.
(AU Prices)

Everything works pretty well. It runs on Android (funnily enough!)
So in saying that has Android functionality also. Also has WiFi so can use your phone as a hotspot to go on internet, stream YouTube, Netflix etc.

The Apple carplay function is great for Maps. Forget about updating your NAV DVD in the PCM, just use the carplay.

Only drawback to car play (and this is across the board with carplay in general), is that you have to plug your phone in. (I think this is now overcome in the likes of the new BMW's (2018+ ) etc, where carplay allows you to connect wirelessly.

The reverse camera is also good, it has guidance lines, which are dynamic (they move with the steering wheel), as this carplay system is connected via Canbus.

A worthwhile upgrade.

Old 03-11-2018, 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by tallpaul
Thanks for posting this, I might seriously consider grabbing one of these. Looks like a nice way to get Android Auto (or Apple Car Play).

I know you didn't install it, but it looks pretty easy from the kit. Get a sense from the installers how complicated it was? Or did it come with installation instructions you could post?
Hey mate.
The installation is something i woulnt attempt. Its not a plug & play solution. I watched the installer put it in, and its very complicated.

He removed the screen of the PCM and opened it up, and had to take boards out of it, desolder certain things, add things inside, solder etc.

Its not a P&P solution and i wouldnt attempt it if you werent confident in these kind of things. Not saying it couldnt be done, obviously it can. Would just need some experience.

It did some with instructions, but i dont have them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.