Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Video clip- Panamera sounding ok on startup?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 07:13 PM
newporsche is an unknown quantity at this point
Video clip- Panamera sounding ok on startup?

I took few video clips today to get opinions on if the panamera is sounding ok because its still consuming a lot of oil and i got a report of misfire cylinder 8 recently. This is the startup after a few days of not being used

Are the tail pipes/smoke/startup sounds ok or are they abnormal? You may need to put on headphones if the noise isnt loud enough sorry

video 1: sounds from the hood/tire area: http://tinypic.com/r/wb2u7o/9

video 2: exhaust/smoke/tail pipe area (not sure what that intermittent noise is from 45 seconds onwards-- is that a problem??):

any opinions from those 2 videos would be appreciated as i am not sure what sounds/visuals would constitute a major problem with the vehicle besides the misfire code on cylinder 8 and the oil consumption that I have noticed.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:55 AM
Anyone have any thoughts on the two videos? thanks all

Old 02-19-2018, 11:13 AM
970panamera is an unknown quantity at this point
Hard to tell, but I think it sounds ok.

For the misfire, you need to diagnose and see what the cause is. Is it a spark plug, coil, injector, compression, etc...

How many miles on your car?

Old 02-19-2018, 11:22 AM
terraclean was added to car before i believe

coil was moved from the misfire cylinder to another one to see if follows through to other cylinder then ill know if the coil is the issue.

would either of these 2 things also be the cause for oil consumption of 1L every 1500-2000km?

Old 02-20-2018, 07:18 PM
Anyone else have any thoughts on the video clips?

Old 02-21-2018, 02:11 AM
amgpan is an unknown quantity at this point
Moving the coil to another cyl is the way to diag the misfire. Good.

The rattle sound after 45 secs to me (and its hard on a video like this to diagnose) but either sounds like the exhaust rattling on a component of the car, or the exhaust itself inside is deteriorating. Hard to know. How many kms on the car?

The smoke is def not good. But are you sure its not just condensation? Do you still have the same smoke when the car is warm? If same smoke when warm, then something is not right.

I used to have high oil consumption too (granted not as much as your reporting), and to combat that i switched to Mobil 1 5W50.
Has made a world of difference for my consumption. Nearly NIL consumption between service (10,000km service interval)

I also once had a misfire, turned out to be a coil. Did the moving coil to different cyl. It followed. New coil. Problem solved.

At the same time, i also changed all the spark plugs anyway. Made a nice difference on the car.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:05 AM
it was cold and windy that day and hadnt started car for few days, maybe thats why?

no tapping sound or sooty exhaust pipes from what i can tell though right?

is it safe to switch to 5w50? any brands you recommend?

Old 02-21-2018, 09:06 AM
and how soon after moving the coil should i check to see if the misfire followed the coil? a few weeks?

Old 02-21-2018, 02:55 PM
knowspin has a spectacular aura aboutknowspin has a spectacular aura aboutknowspin has a spectacular aura about
The "smoke" is obviously steam and not from burning oil. It looks and sounds quite normal. The misfire code could be a coil, or a spark plug, or even an erroneous error code.

How does the car feel on aggressive acceleration? If there's a misfire, that's where you will notice it.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:41 PM
if i accelerate hard from a stop light ill get some jerking but i was presuming that was an issue with the pdk in the 2010 versions, otherwise i havent noticed anything major. I will take it to porsche in few weeks to see if the misfire followed through to the other cylinder i guess?

Old 02-22-2018, 06:19 AM
I have only ever used Mobil 1 for oil personally. Very happy with it.

Switch to 5W50 and see if it helps you.
Remember to let ALL the old oil drain out properly. Drain the oil while the motor is still "warm".

Regarding you Cyl Misfire. Now that you have determined which cyl is having the misfire, move that coil pack to another cyl. (swap it)

Wait until the misfire happens again. Scan the car. If the misfiring cyl is the one that you moved the coil pack too, then its a faulty coil pack. Just change that one.

You will absolutely know if you have a misfire. The car shakes quite badly. There is no missing it.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:24 PM
ok thanks

in regards to the oil, it would make no difference if just topping up a L of the different oil, it would have to be a full oil change?

Old 02-22-2018, 08:59 PM
To get the full effect of hoping to rectify your oil consumption issue a full drain and replenish is the best thing to do.

Topping off with 5W50 wont hurt the car at all (mixing it with say your current 0W40) but i dont think that would make a difference to help with your case.

Im not saying switching to 5W50 will FIX your problem, but i had a similar consumption issue and it fixed it for me. Though again, but consumption was not as severe as what you are reporting