Location (State):

Item Condition:

1st time buyer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 11:54 AM
jtbell451 is an unknown quantity at this point
1st time buyer

I am looking to buy a Porsche as a first time buyer. I've owned a few classic cars and for the last 18 years I've owned a 1967 Camaro RS/SS that I am looking to sell and get a used 911. My Camaro is a 2nd "fun car" and is probably worth around 30 - 35K. I could put in about another 10K. I like the 70's style and the 80's Targa models but the big tail on some is a little too conspicuous for me. Just wondering what I should be looking at. Any suggestions? It doesn't have to be vintage. I don't mind newer but I would like it to be something that is going to hold its value.

I am not new to European cars. I've had Alfa Romeo, BMW 2002, BMW 328, Volvo, Saab, & VW so I do have an idea of what I'm getting into. I even had one of those 2.8L German made Mercury Capri's when I was in college. It was ugly as sin but it was fast!

Last edited by jtbell451; 02-23-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:01 PM
NBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud of
For modern cars at $40-45k a 6MT 997.1S is going to be hard to beat, arguably the most beautiful and most engaging of the modern water cooled cars. Search model years '05-'08 Carrera S, manual tranny, 3 owners or less, 30k-75k miles (miles are fine with service documentation). Fantastic cars.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:27 PM
rlougee is on a distinguished road
Try a Porsche 996

As the owner of a 2004 996, I suggest you look at the 996 too. It predates the 997 of the previous post. 996 was "generally" 1999 to 2004. I have daily driven my 996 in Northern California for the past 8 years. It is very reliable. I put about 10k miles on per year. Biggest expense for a DD are rear tires which go every 20K.

You don't say if you are looking for a DD or a weekend car.

996s are a bargain for Porsches and you can get in for $20k to $40k for a Carrera.

You don't list where you are located. With a quick Craigslist search in Norcal you can get a 2002 with 80K miles for $21K and MT.

You can a 2004 Carrera 4 (4WD) with 51K miles for $38K with MT. Turbos are higher cost.

996 was the first water cooled car and they shared some parts, like headlights with the Boxster and are not considered as desirable. I can't see the headlights from the drivers seat so I don't care. And it allowed to get into one cheap.

BTW, 964, 993, 996, 997, 991, and 992 are all 911s. Consider them to "sub Models" and are related to the model years. You'll also see 997.2 as the later model years with different engine. With 996 there was a 3.4 liter engine in early years and 3.6 in later years like mine.

My advice is have fun with the search. Drive some cars. They are a BLAST to drive and own. I feel like a rockstar everyday.
Rick

Old 02-23-2018, 06:10 PM
arjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond repute
you may wanna check Jeffz 03 C4s cheap and looked like well taking care of, it's on page 3

Old 02-23-2018, 06:10 PM
shawkinguk is a glorious beacon of lightshawkinguk is a glorious beacon of lightshawkinguk is a glorious beacon of lightshawkinguk is a glorious beacon of lightshawkinguk is a glorious beacon of light
$40k will get you a pretty clean 997.1 Carrera S as "Nboost" pointed out.

Pretty awesome car for the money
Looks baller, maintenance is reasonable, and a real drivers car - incredible feedback
Muffler deletes ftw

Old 02-23-2018, 07:52 PM
Thanks everyone I'll look into those models. I live in the Rhode Island so I do have to deal with the weather. The snow here is not as bad as other areas like Vermont or New Hampshire. Usually it snows and an then melts or rain washes it away within a few days. I do live very close to the bay though. It would always be garaged. I'm torn on the daily driver issue. I was thinking it would just be a weekend type car or drive to work in the summers. I'm also very torn between a Porsche or an M3 if I go the DD route.

Last edited by jtbell451; 02-23-2018 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:24 PM
shawkinguk is a glorious beacon of lightshawkinguk is a glorious beacon of lightshawkinguk is a glorious beacon of lightshawkinguk is a glorious beacon of lightshawkinguk is a glorious beacon of light
if you want a bigger car with more comfort and modern conveniences - also superb interior materials, $40k gets you a 2015 M3/4 (with a few miles)
Its faster, more powerful, more practical
But if you already have a second car - the 911 is a truly special driving machine

perfect for summer days and weekends

Old 02-23-2018, 08:36 PM
I might just do the 2nd car thing. My Camaro was always a 2nd car and I'd hate to make my fun car be my DD. Just not that rich to have both.

I know this is Porsche thread but just I'd share a pic (with my rusty old shed in the background)

Old 02-23-2018, 08:42 PM
That thing is pretty cool.

You should go test drive a 996, a 997 an M3, and see if the difference (and it will be significant) is worth selling your baby

they are all very different cars, just matters what you want it for/what floats your boat... only you can decide

Old 02-23-2018, 08:48 PM
Good point. What I really want is something fun to drive. I've had the Camaro for 18 years and although it's really cool and fun I'm just kinda bored with it so the last few years I haven't taken it out that much.

I've been looking around on craigslist and autotrader classic. There are seems to be some good finds there.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:26 PM
NBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud of
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...og=1#478292213

Every 05/08 S/4S on autotrader. You can daily a 4S all winter although I'd still keep a beater around for heavy fresh salt days. Definitely open your search nationwide for a car like this, shipping coast to coast is a little over 1k uncovered, 1800 or so for enclosed liftgate. PPI with a paint meter from the best shop local to the car will run $300 or so. Paint should read single digits on every panel and the DME report shouldn't have more than a few range ones and twos. If it has any fours, fives or sixes be sure to check the hours when they occurred. If it was 20k miles ago it is probably fine.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:54 PM
Agree 100% with Nboost - Great advice

I would add that if you looking at 05-08 997 do your research on IMS bearing.
(It only affected 3% or less of cars & has in my opinion been blown out of proportion on a lot of forums, but you should know what it is and that it exists)

Old 02-25-2018, 12:59 AM
henryting is an unknown quantity at this point
For a peace of mind, just make sure the IMS bearing was upgraded.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:22 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
I would suggest a 997 S model if going with a 911. You could buy a set of snow wheels for the winter. 997 has more classic looks than 996, better interior material quality, and good balance of value to price.

911 is another level than M3 for me, but at your price point have you considered a Lotus Evora? It drives way more exciting than either 911 or an M3 and it's good in the snow with snow tires.