Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Windshield Sun Shade

Old 02-25-2018, 08:04 AM
rocketboots999 is on a distinguished road
Windshield Sun Shade

I am itching to get the car out soon from its winter hibernation and I want to get a windshield shade to reduce uv exposure and interior heat when parked. I have searched the forum and the FAQ sticky, but wanted to see if there are any more up to date recommendations.

The Covercraft website generic installation video shows that the car sun shades are used to hold the cover in place; does that work with the tiny Aston ones? Also there are some reviews questioning the space needed for stowing away in smaller cars such as ours.

The Heatshield website shows a picture of an actual Aston installation. Does anyone know how well it fits and stows away?

Is it also worth getting the side and rear window shades for a Roadster?

Thanks.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:52 AM
Jeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to behold
I have the Covercraft sunshade and it works great. The visors hold it up just fine and when folded it fits easily either behind the seats (at least in a coupe, I don't know how much space there is in a roadster) or in the trunk. My side and rear windows are tinted so I don't need a sunshade for those.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:11 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
I have used Covercraft sunshades on a variety of 2 seat cars and they are fantastic. Folds up well & can rest behind the seats. Makes a difference if your car sits in the sun.

Be curious to see well they stay on the windshield with Aston's shallow sun visors.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:30 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by rocketboots999
I am itching to get the car out soon from its winter hibernation and I want to get a windshield shade to reduce uv exposure and interior heat when parked. I have searched the forum and the FAQ sticky, but wanted to see if there are any more up to date recommendations.

The Covercraft website generic installation video shows that the car sun shades are used to hold the cover in place; does that work with the tiny Aston ones? Also there are some reviews questioning the space needed for stowing away in smaller cars such as ours.

The Heatshield website shows a picture of an actual Aston installation. Does anyone know how well it fits and stows away?

Is it also worth getting the side and rear window shades for a Roadster?

Thanks.
Spend the bucks and get a professionally installed CLEAR TINT that will reduce around 80-90% of the UV and heat. That will help you at all times, rather than just when you are parked. If then left for extended time during hot days, then throw up a cheap cardboard screen if need be. Just my opinion. Probably cost around 2-300 to have done. They are not cheap. I believe 3m and Suntek make excellent ones. I prefer 3M products for tint and PPF due to they make all aspects of the materials, glue etc..... in house. Rather than getting bits and pieces from subs. But Suntek is on my RR and is just as fine as any other I have owned. NOT FRONT WINDOW though.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:26 PM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
Spend the bucks and get a professionally installed CLEAR TINT that will reduce around 80-90% of the UV and heat. That will help you at all times, rather than just when you are parked. If then left for extended time during hot days, then throw up a cheap cardboard screen if need be. Just my opinion. Probably cost around 2-300 to have done. They are not cheap. I believe 3m and Suntek make excellent ones. I prefer 3M products for tint and PPF due to they make all aspects of the materials, glue etc..... in house. Rather than getting bits and pieces from subs. But Suntek is on my RR and is just as fine as any other I have owned. NOT FRONT WINDOW though.
i too have tint. Also ceramic clear on the windshield... no problems at all with glare

Old 02-25-2018, 03:18 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by MRCW
i too have tint. Also ceramic clear on the windshield... no problems at all with glare
How does your windshield clear help for OPs heat issue

Old 02-25-2018, 06:10 PM
Jeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to behold
My Audi has Suntek clear tint on the front windshield and I don't think it makes much of a difference as far as heat goes. I hope it reduces the UV damage but the car still gets blazing hot inside. A cardboard window shade makes a huge difference for heat.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff_335i
My Audi has Suntek clear tint on the front windshield and I don't think it makes much of a difference as far as heat goes. I hope it reduces the UV damage but the car still gets blazing hot inside. A cardboard window shade makes a huge difference for heat.
To me that was hugely helpful! I was under the understanding that they did help tremendously; which I gather now, no so much.

Which Audi do you have, looking at a 15' A8 4.0T this week. 40k on the clock still in warranty.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:18 PM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Like Jeff... not sure about how cool the front tint makes car but UV is primary concern... the rest of my windows are dark tint and that helps allot. I don't have a folding windshield sun shade as of yet. Haven't felt the need

Old 02-26-2018, 08:46 AM
We have a '16 A5, 2.0T, wife's car mainly. My tint guy said the clear windshield tint would greatly reduce the heat gain but in my opinion it does nearly nothing. I just am hoping it blocks the UV rays. Some days I am tempted to just peel it off. The rest of the windows on that car are tinted pretty dark and that does help with heat blocking.