Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V8 Vantage steering shudder

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 07:05 PM
Carter V8 Vantage is an unknown quantity at this point
V8 Vantage steering shudder

This site has been wonderful, for this new owner of a beautiful '06 V8 Vantage.

I searched the forums and found a post from '13, but want to ask about the steering wheel shudder I experienced on the 400 miles trip from buying the car, this past Saturday. I have about 25 years of amateur sports car racing experience, and instruct for the local Ferrari Club track days at VIR, so I have a good idea about steering feel. During my drive Saturday (mostly interstates), every so often, I'd notice a shudder in the steering wheel, when driving over certain bumps - sharp expansion joints on bridges, etc. It didn't happen often, but was noticeable. It felt like one of the tie rod ends is worn (40k miles on the car) and has some slop in the joint.

Is this normal? I can swap the tie rod ends but at 40k miles, I'd think that wouldn't be an issue. Thoughts?

Old 03-13-2018, 07:13 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
It's not normal. Tie rod ends, inner tie rods, a-arm bushings, slight wheel imbalance. Check the usual suspects.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by blue2000s
It's not normal. Tie rod ends, inner tie rods, a-arm bushings, slight wheel imbalance. Check the usual suspects.
The tires felt balanced so I'm thinking inner tie rods, or the ends

Thanks.

Last edited by Carter V8 Vantage; 03-13-2018 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:29 PM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
Did you seriously ask if steering wheel shudder was normal? It's an Aston Martin, not a 1990 Hyundai.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:01 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by Mathman85
Did you seriously ask if steering wheel shudder was normal? It's an Aston Martin, not a 1990 Hyundai.
A post from '13 said it was normal. I posted tonight because I would have been shocked if it was....

Old 03-13-2018, 09:04 PM
willin58 is an unknown quantity at this point
I had a seemingly similar issue on my DB9, here's what fixed it...

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/334042-steering-wheel-air-bag-rattle.html

I believe it also applies to earlier-model Vantages. Less than $5 and it was fixed.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:19 PM
Good info Willin58. I'll do this fix for sure, but the issue I'm getting is more of a jiggle in the steering linkage, somewhere between the steering wheel and the front wheels. It's not a rattle sound, but more of a feel.

This sleeve fix will be the first step though.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:07 PM
davidm17 is on a distinguished road
There was a recent post by someone looking at buying an early Vantage and the PPI turned up loose bushings in the front. I don't remember how many miles, but I'd check those as well.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:28 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Carter V8 Vantage
The tires felt balanced so I'm thinking inner tie rods, or the ends

Thanks.
I'm sure you know this but very slight tire imbalance can be really hard to track down. I suppose a wheel bearing could do it too but normally that's just a grinding noise.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:12 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Good chance it's had the front subframe removed for the timing cover removal, I'd check your rack mount torque 3-bolts. And the pinch bolt on lower joint to rack pinion.

Old 03-14-2018, 04:35 PM
boxercupdave has a spectacular aura aboutboxercupdave has a spectacular aura about
Is it a shudder through the column/wheel or just the wheel? Yours might be more than I experience on my 07 as I found the horn/airbag would shudder over bumps Found that later cars had plastic insulators added. Need to fit them to mine.

Though I think from your explanation it's probably something along the lines as described by the others. Hope it's a simple fix.

Old 03-14-2018, 05:43 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
I'll take an opposite tack to the above posts and question whether it might be 'normal'...

Here's my experience with my old V8V ('09): it definitely had a subtle but unpleasant sensation felt through the steering wheel when hitting some bumps or ridges in the road. I wouldn't have described it as a shudder, but more of a subtle kickback or knock that felt like it was transmitted through the steering column. It was present from day 1 and never changed over my 3 years with the car, and I was quite certain that it was inherent in the design of the car. Also (I can't recall where) I had read about it in a journalist review.

My V12's have not had this problem but they have different steering racks I believe, and I find the feel considerably better than in the V8.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:46 AM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
My 2cents, on the vantage check the airbag fitting behind the steering wheeel there are two small collar fittings that are an aftermarket part from Aston bits the lose air bag feels like a steering shudder on certain surfaces.
It may be a simple as that

Old 03-16-2018, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by davidm17
There was a recent post by someone looking at buying an early Vantage and the PPI turned up loose bushings in the front. I don't remember how many miles, but I'd check those as well.
Thanks David. I'll check that when I install the new brake pads this weekend.

Carter

Old 03-16-2018, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by blue2000s
I'm sure you know this but very slight tire imbalance can be really hard to track down. I suppose a wheel bearing could do it too but normally that's just a grinding noise.
Right. Or a moaning sound. I'll check the front bearings when it's off the ground this weekend.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: V8 Vantage steering shudder