Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible new owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 01:35 PM
LeeT is an unknown quantity at this point
Possible new owner

Hi guys, I've been doing some research and came across this site. I'm considering swapping my 2008 Audi R8 V8 for a 2009 Panamera Turbo. I was all set to swap then came across this cam adjuster issue.
Are all early cars affected? I've been in contact with Porsche and they say that this car was outside of the recalled cars so they will not repair it. Cars currently on 69k miles. Are all of these failing? Is it literally a ticking timebomb?
I'd love the Panamera especially as it' fully optioned up Inc ceramic brakes, chrono pack, sports exhaust, the active roll bar option etc etc
I know I can always get the preventative repair done myself but that' £3k GBP on top.
Any advice, info or suggestions appreciated
Thanks Lee

Last edited by LeeT; 03-14-2018 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:59 PM
orangeokie is an unknown quantity at this point
To me its a money risk consideration that only you can answer.

Old 03-15-2018, 05:47 AM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
cam adjuster issue aside , I wouldn t own that car without a warranty.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:29 AM
mziegler38 is on a distinguished road
completely agree with cerbomark

Old 03-15-2018, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by cerbomark
cam adjuster issue aside , I wouldn t own that car without a warranty.
Are they really that bad and prone to breakdown? I' pretty handy with the spanners. I've had Audis for years and fancied a change but not if they are going to be that unreliable

Old 03-15-2018, 12:17 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
No, just expensive to fix. High end components are expensive.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:42 PM
MoOriginal is on a distinguished road
Ive just bought - i think people give some over cautious anecdotal advice - the cars that break down are a small percentage - i guess its good to go with eyes open but really - every car make has horror stories - you have to take some faith for the purchase...

I didnt read about any real problems for the car apart from the odd recall.

I have a early cayenne - can have lots of problems - but regular here in the forums older ones still running at 200+k miles.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by MoOriginal
Ive just bought - i think people give some over cautious anecdotal advice - the cars that break down are a small percentage - i guess its good to go with eyes open but really - every car make has horror stories - you have to take some faith for the purchase...

I didnt read about any real problems for the car apart from the odd recall.

I have a early cayenne - can have lots of problems - but regular here in the forums older ones still running at 200+k miles.

If you want to roll the dice and fund the possibility of a transmission ($15K average or suspension air failures as some almost consider them a serviceable items which are in the thousands just to mention a few) then just be aware. You should read and be more aware as some have owned Porsches for many years already. The cars that break down are not a small % because all cars break down(when is the only variable) and the point here is that when these cars do they are expensive to fix. Caveat emptor

Last edited by cerbomark; 03-15-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:51 PM
2010Panny4S will become famous soon enough
I've been dealing with issues with my 2010 for 6 weeks straight now with issue after issue. YES, Extended Warranty is a MUST if you own a Porsche unless you have "Wipe Your *** with 100 Dollar bills kinda money" then get one without.

I've seen what would have been the cost out of pocket for me if I didn't have extended warranty, believe me, if I didn't I would have left that car on the side of the road and bought something else.

Old 03-16-2018, 04:41 AM
Hmmm, think I might stick with the R8 🤔

Old 03-16-2018, 01:26 PM
riden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by 2010Panny4S
I've been dealing with issues with my 2010 for 6 weeks straight now with issue after issue. YES, Extended Warranty is a MUST if you own a Porsche unless you have "Wipe Your *** with 100 Dollar bills kinda money" then get one without.

I've seen what would have been the cost out of pocket for me if I didn't have extended warranty, believe me, if I didn't I would have left that car on the side of the road and bought something else.
OP says handy with wrenches. What problems have you been having? Has the warranty covered as much as they advertised?

Old 03-16-2018, 01:39 PM
riden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura about
OP, unless it’s a super deal it might be better to look at a later year. The first year of any model tends to have more problems on average that seem to carry on. There were some issues up through about 2012 with cam adjuster bolts. In the US there is a recall for the bolts. There were issues with coolant pipes but cannot recall if that affected the Panamera. Get the service records and have a PPI done. Some have won the warranty lottery but I expect that is the exception. Buys piece of mind i guess.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:58 AM
vwstephe8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Dont get a car with Air Suspension. They fail aorunf 60k-70k miles and pricey to fix.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:40 AM
2010Panny4S will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by riden

OP says handy with wrenches. What problems have you been having? Has the warranty covered as much as they advertised?
- Found oil pan leaking during PDK service

- Set of brand new disc brakes, Pads, clips, screws and warning cable indicators (pay my self - $$$$$$$$$$)

- AC operating barely and hardly any air blows through car, even at one level sounds like its blowing at 5 or 6 but no air coming through. Dealer replaces new AC blowers.

-I had to get the side mirror motors replaced, they got stuck and would not go back to place. Got the car back, the door panels not seated properly.

-Cam Bolt recall and broken hood latch
Right after getting the car back from campaign work, they failed to top of my engine oil, was low. I was going to top off my self but when I tried to pop the hood of the car I found the latch was jiggling around and hood would not pop open. Back to the dealership, they found cable and hood latch broke but was not like that before I sent it in for campaign work.

- a week after hood fix, I finally drive the car on the weekend, not even 2 miles from leaving my home. Check engine light, the car loses power in the middle of freeway and stars shaking and sounding like a dying 1950's bug. Limp the car back home. Dealer finds dead ignition coil. But they don't know why it died, the car is only 2010 with less than 60K miles in it.

- I get the car back maybe a week later and finally drive it again on the weekend, about to leave the house to enter the freeway, car hesitates on a green light as if tires skip and lose traction going 15mph..... within seconds a check engine light pops up again. Now I bring to different dealership.

- New dealership finds the part installed by the previous dealership has already failed. (Thermostat) again. New dealer replaces the new part.

- After replacement of new part and dealer goes over the car as per my request to see if the previous dealer who has worked on the car has missed something or didn't do something right, they find a leaking belt pump or something. Ext. warranty covers and replaced.

- After picking up the car, not even traveling 500 feet from leaving the new dealership, check engine light pops up again and I buck a u-turn to return to the new dealership. They find out that the oil/air separator was cracked and leaking air. Most likely from the multiple times, that thing has been removed by the previous dealership for the past 6 weeks that car was with them fixing multiple issues.

So I'm still on a loaner again which has been going off and on for roughly Febuarary Talk about a lemon of a car. Thank god I had some dark feeling in the back of my mind of buying a CPO/used car especially a luxury car, so I bought a very very good Extended warranty that lasts until 2021. I would have been broke and left this car on the side or the road or burned it down if I didn't have the Ext. Warranty. LESSON TO ALL - GET ONE !!! Dont EVER buy a Luxury vehicle without one.

The experience I'm having with this P-car be it the service and quality has really diminished on my thoughts about Porsche and whether I will be getting another Pcar after I get rid of this one. Porsche NA has already received my opinions about what I think of this car and the overall service quality it has been getting.

Anyone have an Email for Klaus Zellmer cause I want to give him a piece of my mind about my experience with Porsche.

Last edited by 2010Panny4S; 03-28-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:29 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Sounds like a very bad experience from where I sit.
I suggest to all - get schooled in Panamera fixing if you want to own one.
You get to know how something works, get to repair it the right way and will know how to predict something is about to go bad.
In this life you have 2 choices - pay others to do things or do them yourself. NO ONE WILL EVER take as much care as you, with things you love.
I still agree warranty is always a good backup, but if you cannot afford car and warranty, get to know the car you have, and buy service manual and diagnostic tools so you can determine issues precisely.

Of the above, the following can be done yourself easily, for third of the price:
- Oil pan leak
- Disc brakes, Pads, clips, screws and warning cable indicators
- New AC blowers.
-Side mirror motors replaced
-Broken hood latch
- Ignition coil

You love something - take time to understand it and care for it. Win every time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Possible new owner