Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

No oil on the dipstick

Old 03-20-2018, 10:07 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
No oil on the dipstick

Car (2007 Vantage) has been sitting in the Garage for about 3 to 4 weeks.
On a whim, I decided to check the engine’s oil level. I remove the dipstick from the external oil tank and was surprised and concerned when no oil registered on the dipstick. (The dealer had performed an oil change approx. 4 thousand miles ago.)
Now greatly concerned I went to the automotive store and purchased 4 quarts of 10-50 fully synthetic oil.
It took all four quarts of oil until the dipstick indicated oil between the Low and Max. marks on the dipstick. Something did not feel right. There was no way that the engine was four quarts low.
Then it hit me, the Vantage, with its dry sump, has a specific procedure for checking oil.

“Run engine at 1500 to 2000 RPM for 20 seconds. Shut engine off.
Wait 30 seconds, then remove oil reservoir cap. Clean dipstick and replace the cap, making sure to fully screw the cap down.
Remove cap, avoid contact with sides of reservoir tank. Note oil level on the dipstick.
Top up if necessary to the MAX. Mark on the dipstick.”

Using the above procedure indicated that I had overfilled the oil tank reservoir by a significant amount.
Using a modified turkey baster and an hour later I had to siphon 3 quarts from the reservoir to get the oil at the Max. mark on the dipstick. (In reality the oil level was less than a quart low.)
Lesson here is that if you see no oil on the dipstick, don’t panic. (Also do not start the car)
Add oil in small increments until it just registers on the dipstick.
Perform the “Check engine oil” procedure as noted above. Then add oil if necessary.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:14 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
I wish it was easier to measure the oil on dry sump.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:51 AM
Argus will become famous soon enough
Beter to over react and waste a couple hours than a new engine.

Old 03-20-2018, 12:31 PM
TR-Spider is on a distinguished road
It seems that the oil tank drains over time (into the engine oil "pan").

Nothing to worry about -

What I do regularily after the car sitting for week(s) is turning over the engine to get oil pressure, before actually starting up.

Thomas

Old 03-20-2018, 01:57 PM
911MTB will become famous soon enough
I believe there are a few threads on here about the re-start procedure after the car has been sitting for an extended period. Basically floor the accelerator, crank the engine until the engine oil light goes off. When flooring the accelerator on start up it cuts off the fuel supply so the car won't start. Once the oil light goes off then you know the engine has been primed with oil, this typically only takes 4-5 seconds. I also suspect you'll see it registering on the dipstick now as well. Upon doing this procedure the car is then ready to start normally. Once I got comfortable with the procedure I do it every time my car has been sitting for more than a few days.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:29 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
I made the same mistake when I first pulled my dipstick with no oil, but I did the startup and run and rechecked, and it was still just barely on the tip. It needed a little over a quart to get it right. There should be no fear in starting the car to check the level though. As long as you peak under your car and don't see an 11 quart oil spill your engine still has plenty

[of course coming out of storage or lengthy sit do the start up procedure to build oil pressure before you start it]

Old 10-17-2018, 06:48 AM
branjk is an unknown quantity at this point
i am using this thread since it somewhat relates to my issue.
I have a 2015 vantage V12S, great car, took it on a weekend road trip with some spirited driving, no issues. Got home and went to use it yesterday and oil level warning light came on. I checked the level it was lowish, near the MIN level on dipstick. So i added approx 1 quart oil and recheck this am and dipstick is 80% MAX. Went to drive car and warning light came on again. 'Oil level check, top up'. I check the level prior to starting it and it sat all night after adding the oil. I got the car in April and had it serviced by AM dealer, no issues. I have not had any issues with the car related to the oil since purchase. Any thoughts? I am contacting AM Orlando to see if they have any 'tricks' before driving it in. I live 2 hrs away so would rather not if i can avoid it.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:18 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by branjk
i am using this thread since it somewhat relates to my issue.
I have a 2015 vantage V12S, great car, took it on a weekend road trip with some spirited driving, no issues. Got home and went to use it yesterday and oil level warning light came on. I checked the level it was lowish, near the MIN level on dipstick. So i added approx 1 quart oil and recheck this am and dipstick is 80% MAX. Went to drive car and warning light came on again. 'Oil level check, top up'. I check the level prior to starting it and it sat all night after adding the oil. I got the car in April and had it serviced by AM dealer, no issues. I have not had any issues with the car related to the oil since purchase. Any thoughts? I am contacting AM Orlando to see if they have any 'tricks' before driving it in. I live 2 hrs away so would rather not if i can avoid it.
The prior discussions were all related to the V8 Vantage with the dry sump engine. I believe the V12 has a wet sump engine and as such the dipstick readings are valid. It appears to me that you might have a problem with the oil lever sensor. As long as the dipstick shows the proper oil level you should be able to drive the car safely. As you have indicated, a trip to the dealer is advised. BTY, what part of Florida are you at?

Old 10-17-2018, 10:35 AM
mjanis will become famous soon enough
Well at least it is not as bad as an air cooled 911. On the Porsche dry sump, you need to have a warm engine and you check the dipstick while the engine is running,