997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Carrera 911 4S Dead Battery Again.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 09:53 PM
efonz is an unknown quantity at this point
Carrera 911 4S Dead Battery Again.

This is my first post here on this forum; hello.

What is the general rule of thumb on charging a dead battery (sorry I don't have the manual in front of me)
Assuming the battery has enough juice to open the hood, is it better to remove the battery from the car to
charge it or should I leave it in place? In the past and on various other cars I have always removed the battery
and haven't had a problem, although - this Porsche has ruined me once before due to no access
to completely dead battery. I figure this time I ask the internet before things get serious.

I have porsche trickle charger that I intend to actually use this time.
Trust me i know its incredible to have one and not use it; really alludes to a bigger problem I probably have.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:43 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
I would disconnect the positive terminal, but you can leave it in the car and then use a real battery charger on the terminals that can smart charge it with higher amperage that works its way down as the charge state changes, as these can also condition the battery during the charging process - I'm talking like an Optima or a Shumacher charger. Once charged, the Porsche charger/tender into the cigarette lighter is fine for keeping it maintained. It's also possible that if it got too low, the plates could be damaged and it won't charge to full capacity again and might need replacement so you'll have to pay attention to that. That's the other benefit to these larger chargers - you can see the charging amperage instead of just colored lights showing charge status. I have Battery Tenders & a C-Tek charger that I use for maintaining the batteries in my P-cars since some can sit for a week or more between drives, but also have a large Optima charger and a Schumacher charger for heavier duty work. As an example, the old battery out of my Cayenne said it was charged by the Battery Tender, but wouldn't turn the car over. When I hooked it up to my Optima, even after 48 hours, the display wouldn't show it past 75% charged or lower the charging amperage below about 5 Amps. A healthy battery on that charger will go to 100% charged on the gauge and drop the charging amperage down to 0.8 Amps as it switches to maintenance mode.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:27 AM
thank you for responding.

unfortunately the battery is dead and I can not access the battery.

This has happened once before and what I did last time was jump the fuse panel to open the hood. I am reluctant to do that again because in the past I only had an old vintage schumacher that had 3 settings:

2 amp slow charge
35 amp fast charge
engine start

I hooked the leads to door chasis and the pull out terminal on the fuse block and set the battery charger to 2amps. I figuered I would only need it on for a second so i turned it on hit the hood release on the key and turned it off then jump started the car. Everything seemed ok until later I noticed I was having weird electrical issues and took it to porsche and they said i blew a couple fuses and they drew up a $500 bill. Thx porsche lesson learned so i purchased the battery maintainer from the dealer same day.

Here with me now is the old schumacher charger w the three settings, a porsche CTEK charge-o-mat, and a WINPLUS car jump start/portable power pack.

I dont want to use the schumacher to jump the fuse again obviously, the CTEK doesnt have red/black leads to jump the fuse although i do have it hooked up to the cig lighter now, I still cant pop the hood (using button on key). The WINPLUS does have the necessary leads but if I were to use that on the fuse it would send enough voltage to start an engine and i dont want to blow out every fuse.

What should i do? Am i understanding this correctly or am I missing something?
please advise. im standing here in my garage waiting for godot so to speak

Last edited by efonz; 04-24-2018 at 11:31 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-24-2018, 11:34 AM
I guess the CTEK needed 15 minutes to charge the battery enough to allow for access to the hood. alright boyz thx for the help - see you guys on the 405

Old 04-24-2018, 12:02 PM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by efonz
I guess the CTEK needed 15 minutes to charge the battery enough to allow for access to the hood. alright boyz thx for the help - see you guys on the 405
That's what I was going to suggest - plug in the CTek until you get enough juice to pop the frunk, then disconnect the positive terminal and charge it with the Shumacher.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:54 PM
sandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud of
You've gotten good answers to your question already. My question is, why are your batteries dying? On my third 997 now and never had a dead battery. Came close a couple of times but got enough warning where I could pop the frunk and replace them. They last for a while but not forever and when they go, they go quickly.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:46 PM
Nastee_C4S is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sandwedge
My question is, why are your batteries dying?
No clue but i just replaced mine 3 months ago. I had a bad cell and it was the original battery from factory that lasted 7 years. My service manager said those are 5 year batteries. And recommended an Interstate battery over coming into have them replace it. Which im good with that...DIY here. As far as removing battery for charging or charge while in vehicle id say personal preference. Do what you want but keep in mind. If you remove the battery from vehicle that you wont have any way to open the hood if its accidentally closed. A piece of cardboard over latch can prevent this from happening. On the 997.2s you have to pull your driver front tire off and peel back part of the wheel well to be able to reach up inside of there. And if your lucky like me you find the cable first try. JUst pull and it will pop the hood open.

Old 04-25-2018, 10:01 PM
sandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Nastee_C4S
No clue but i just replaced mine 3 months ago. I had a bad cell and it was the original battery from factory that lasted 7 years. My service manager said those are 5 year batteries. And recommended an Interstate battery over coming into have them replace it. Which im good with that...DIY here. As far as removing battery for charging or charge while in vehicle id say personal preference. Do what you want but keep in mind. If you remove the battery from vehicle that you wont have any way to open the hood if its accidentally closed. A piece of cardboard over latch can prevent this from happening. On the 997.2s you have to pull your driver front tire off and peel back part of the wheel well to be able to reach up inside of there. And if your lucky like me you find the cable first try. JUst pull and it will pop the hood open.
I've bought all my 997 batteries at Wal Mart (think it's the H7 size). Just over $100 and seems to last as long as the more expensive premium brands.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:10 PM
Flying Cat will become famous soon enoughFlying Cat will become famous soon enough
I also bought replacement battery for my 997 at Walmart. I have had it for over 3 years and have never had a problem.

Note, I have my car connected to a Battery Tender trickle charger when I do not drive the car.

Old 04-26-2018, 03:06 PM
Thinking is on a distinguished road
Replace at 5 years.

Old 04-26-2018, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by Flying Cat
I also bought replacement battery for my 997 at Walmart. I have had it for over 3 years and have never had a problem.

Note, I have my car connected to a Battery Tender trickle charger when I do not drive the car.
I don't and still never had a problem. Have left it sitting without a charger for as much as 2 weeks while traveling and it cranked right up.