Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Mud Flap over speed bumps

Old 04-24-2018, 03:49 PM
howzz1854 will become famous soon enough
Mud Flap over speed bumps

hey guys, i am supposed to make an introduction page since i got the car yesterday. 09 V8V SS. but i just noticed this today.

are you guys hitting the mud flaps over speed bumps? i am hitting/scraping it over speed bumps. and i go very slow.

in California here.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:42 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Take them off, I don't even have em on my pick-up. Very few of the cars in SoCal have them fitted it depends on if the dealer ticked the box on order.

Old 04-24-2018, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by J doubleU
Take them off, I don't even have em on my pick-up. Very few of the cars in SoCal have them fitted it depends on if the dealer ticked the box on order.
i was just thinking that. i wonder how hard it is to unscrew those things. i haven't taken a close look at what kind of bolts they are. just got the car yesterday.

edit: the previous 1st and 2nd owner lived in Chicago, so it makes sense that they probably added it on as an option due to the mid west weather.

Old 04-24-2018, 05:14 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Should be 4 screws. 2-25torx and 2-30 torx. Pull them off and refit the screws.

Old 04-24-2018, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by J doubleU
Should be 4 screws. 2-25torx and 2-30 torx. Pull them off and refit the screws.

good deal!. thanks bud. i'll check it out when i get home. only registered here less than 24 hours ago and already paying off. what a great place

are you guys all on the AM Facebook page as well?

Old 04-24-2018, 08:02 PM
Danno62 will become famous soon enough
You'll be putting them back on when you see what happens to your paint on the rear wings.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:43 PM
i came home and gave it a try. it indeed was easy to remove. in fact i think when they installed this thing, they didn't put the 4th bolt in place, both flaps were held on by 3 bolts. i didn't even need to turn the steering wheel. my Hex bits were 90 degrees and small enough to loose them.

i'll drive it around and see. in LA there're way too many speed bumps. i don't want to have to hit the flaps on every single one of them.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:31 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Danno62
You'll be putting them back on when you see what happens to your paint on the rear wings.
^This^

The vantage's beautifully flared rear fenders get sandblasted by a naked front tire.

There's no way my suspension can compress enough to scrape the mud flaps. OP- are you sure they are rubbing?

Old 04-24-2018, 10:57 PM
Yeah on a lot of those smaller narrow speed bump where not a lot of gradual incline/decline involved, you can definitely feel and hear the crunch. Worst case scenario is it gets hit too many times and all of a sudden driving on freeway and the flap gives out and take out a part of the car with it. I am not so worried about gravel as there's not really any gravel in LA. But I can see how in other states the gravel flying could be a problem .

Old 04-25-2018, 03:17 AM
cadman is a jewel in the roughcadman is a jewel in the roughcadman is a jewel in the rough
best to leave them on,like danno62 said, saves a lot of rash

Old 04-25-2018, 03:43 AM
Cyemm is an unknown quantity at this point
It's not the flaps...

It's the nose.

The vantage is LOW in the front, and the long overhang means the nose doesn't rise until the tires encounter the bump... well after the nose has crunched. So much so that the front lip is virtually a "wear" item, like brakepads.

Next time you cross a speedbump, pay attention to when you hear the noise in relation to when the tires hit the bump. You'll notice it scrapes first, not after.

I'll even scrape the thing during spirited driving on twisty roads with elevation changes.

Leave the flaps on... her fat hips get blasted pretty bad otherwise. I have clear bra protection on mine. ( not my hips, Trinity's hips.) And the flaps.

Old 04-25-2018, 04:34 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
it is the mud flap that scrap the ground, it happen to me a few times last year but like everyone else said keep them on to avoid more damage to your paint

Old 04-25-2018, 04:47 AM
TR-Spider is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Cyemm
It's the nose.

The vantage is LOW in the front, and the long overhang means the nose doesn't rise until the tires encounter the bump... well after the nose has crunched. So much so that the front lip is virtually a "wear" item, like brakepads.

Next time you cross a speedbump, pay attention to when you hear the noise in relation to when the tires hit the bump. You'll notice it scrapes first, not after.

I'll even scrape the thing during spirited driving on twisty roads with elevation changes.

Leave the flaps on... her fat hips get blasted pretty bad otherwise. I have clear bra protection on mine. ( not my hips, Trinity's hips.) And the flaps.
Like he said - or it could be the wind deflectors in front of the tires.
You can get proof easily by looking for the scratchmarks.

The mudflaps was the first thing I mounted after driving on a dirty road once and looking at the Vantage's flanks afterwards...

Thomas

Old 04-25-2018, 08:51 AM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
I would be really surprised if it's the mud flaps. These things are very short and the tires will contact many more things before the flaps hit the ground. As noted, look for scratch marks. It could be the front of the car, it could also be the tires rubbing on the wheel wells.

There are little loose pebbles on all roads, not just states where they use sand in the winter. Even cars in California benefit from clear bras.

Attached Images  

Last edited by blue2000s; 04-25-2018 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:59 AM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
Since I lowered my car with VAP springs on sport pack shocks, I can't pass speed bumps at all anymore.

Mud flaps scrape on every little bump on the street, my toe just fits between flap and floor. Tried it once, now I go around them/ other way.

The slightest uneven area of the road makes my nose touch the ground as well.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mud Flap over speed bumps