Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Things I have learned 3rd day into owning the car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 11:15 PM
howzz1854 will become famous soon enough
Things I have learned 3rd day into owning the car

09 V8V Sportshift 13k miles

1) I have to admit. I felt very hairy about dropping the gears without doing it in a sequential matter. I remember reading the sportshift guide that says you don't have to go from 5th to 2nd by going through the gears between that. One can flip the gear three times in succession to reach 2nd. I think I was sweating bullets when I tried this while cruising on the freeway on the way back home after picking up the car lol. But low and behold. I reached 6th gear @2000 rpm and flip the "-" paddle three times real quick and the car roared into 5000rpm and took off like there's no tomorrow. I think all the other drivers around me were staring at me lol. I couldn't help it but tried it a couple more times before I reached home and never ceases to put a huge grin on my face .

2) I also noticed that in D mode if I floor the accelerator, the clutch actually disengages and engine revs up to a higher RPM before catching a lower gear. Rev match? The rev sounds very exhillerating

3) on take off. If the throttle is too soft. The car seems to stuck in crawl mode and not wanting to go any faster. You have to roll the throttle in a way that you feel the clutch catches the flywheel .

4) I haven't been able to hear the so called (click) sound upon cold start during the clutch learn procedure .But none the less i just leave it idle in Neutral for 30 seconds with my foot on the brake anyway.

I am sure there will be more discoveries to come .

Last edited by howzz1854; 05-05-2018 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:09 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats! I too have an 09 V8V and understand all you describe... the fun is just beginning!

Old 04-26-2018, 08:28 AM
Hedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the rough
Beautiful car....be sure to protect that dash when parked in the LA sunshine (coming from an ex denizen of the Valley). Oh and great looking wheels too!

Old 04-26-2018, 08:41 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
great photo, love that metallic silver is that meteorite or tungsten?

Old 04-26-2018, 10:43 AM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
I skip gears every time I drive. I simply move the lever from it's slot in 5th to 2nd for example

Old 04-26-2018, 11:03 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Automatic V12's have a kick down feature when flooring it. It's drop from 6 to 3rd and accelerate quickly on the highway.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by sonies
great photo, love that metallic silver is that meteorite or tungsten?
it's a tungsten silver. i am quite impressed with Aston's paint colors. they all seem to have personalities and changes color slightly under different light. the Tunsten looks more copper-ish silver when under 12 o'clock direct sun light, but looks graphite metallic neutral tone under fluorescent light. and the lighting silver model that i was debating in between also changes color to a blue hue or white silver under different conditions as well. none of my previous cars paint did this.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:52 AM
07sportspack will become famous soon enough
Congrats - Keep smiling !!

Old 04-26-2018, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi
Automatic V12's have a kick down feature when flooring it. It's drop from 6 to 3rd and accelerate quickly on the highway.
i was wondering where that kick down switch was. i was reaching up the manual and said there's a kick down. on my mercedes there was a clear physical button attached to the floor behind the accelerator that you hit. but this all makes sense now.

i have yet to try flooring it in D mode on freeway. not sure if it'll drop from 6 to 3rd. but in paddle mode, dropping it from 6 to 3rd nothing short of exhilarating. i think half of that exhilaration was the sound. when i test drove the car and floored it the first time, i just couldn't stop laughing emotionally, and i think i had tears coming out of my eyes.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by Hedged
Beautiful car....be sure to protect that dash when parked in the LA sunshine (coming from an ex denizen of the Valley). Oh and great looking wheels too!
good call Hedged. i didn't think about that. those hand stitched leather sure feel soft. i might stop by target or autozone this weekend and see if i can find a cover. i live in the valley so the beating can be quite brutal. i garage the car when i am home but at work, none of the locations of our offices have covered parking. good call and thanks!

Old 04-26-2018, 12:13 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
That's interesting - I had a 09 and 1 15 V8 with Sportshift now I have a V12S - I'll have to try the kickdown! I let the Sportshift downshift automatically - does a better job than I do - even if you do not press D. Then I manually up shift - skipping gears never been a problem. Much prefer the SportShift than a manual once you know how to use it properly, never had any issues except some weird shifting in the 15 which they replaced a few computer modules to fix.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:28 PM
something i also discovered last night when taking her out for a spin. i noticed that 1st revs extremely fast. if i wait until 6K rpm to shift it hits the 7K rpm limiter. at what RPM do you guys shift in 1st to catch the 2nd in time before hitting the ceiling. not that i would be doing this often, but just curious. i've only tried this once.

Old 04-26-2018, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by Kanga
Mash the throttle and use hypershift when it hits 7000 rpm.
I am not sure what hyperahift is. But I am assuming you're referring to letting the car automatically shift itself? If so I would have to be in D mode then because paddle in sport doesn't auto upshift.

Old 04-26-2018, 03:33 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I tried that step down on my V12S and it ain't working, then I realized you have to be in 'D' for it to work, but that destroys the enjoyment of semi-automatic manual shifting - so the answer is if you want to use 'D' that's the step down... not for me, i'll just skip some gears and enjoy shifting.

Old 04-26-2018, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by Prefurbia
I tried that step down on my V12S and it ain't working, then I realized you have to be in 'D' for it to work, but that destroys the enjoyment of semi-automatic manual shifting - so the answer is if you want to use 'D' that's the step down... not for me, i'll just skip some gears and enjoy shifting.
yeah i forgot to mention that when i had the kick down on my mercedes, you definitely need to be in D. i would think for most cars with kick down you would have to be in D as well. not that the kick down is necessary because now i know this car can skip gears in paddle mode from 6 to 3rd lol. that is just awesome.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Things I have learned 3rd day into owning the car