997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Tracking on gt30 setup

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 05:53 PM
Brooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond repute
Tracking on gt30 setup

What’s up boys and girls...I am on the fence on upgrading my turbos and having a really hard time picking the perfect turbo...
A little about me and my car..I try to get about 3-4 track days a year but also do 1/2 mile events...I’ve tried to gather info about 3071/3073 turbos but nothing about people running them on the track on low boost ...so does anyone track there upgraded turbos and if so what turbo are you using and are you happy with power and track performance...
Thanks everyone

Old 05-23-2018, 05:55 PM
Brooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond repute
Btw I am a FBO car

Old 05-23-2018, 11:46 PM
Tareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant future
The ESmotor cars in Turkey track their cars, I remember there was a member on her a few years ago with an ES850 (GT30) and he tracked it often.

When I had the A3071, I didn't see any reason why you can't track them? Just make sure I have sufficient cooling (Intercoolers or Water Meth injection or both).

Can't go wrong with the A3071/6, only issue I had was regulating WG boost (Overboost).

Goodluck

Old 05-24-2018, 03:12 AM
Can you be a little more specific about your problem.was it a tuning issue or a product problem..

Old 05-24-2018, 03:47 AM
Tareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Brooklyn boosting
Can you be a little more specific about your problem.was it a tuning issue or a product problem..
Product problem.

My car would be 0.2-0.4 over WG pressure, no matter how many adjustments I tried to do. We had recieved the latest Xona designs with the new wastegates.

Both my friend and I had the same issues, He solved it by sealing the internals and welding an external WG to his manifolds, I decided to build my motor and go for GT35's externally gated.

If I recall they were fine when the boost came on using the HKS boost controller, our issue was only on WG pressure.

Old 05-24-2018, 06:49 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
I am in the process of fine tuning my xona setup which is similar to a 3073. Based on results so far I think these will be great at the track. I plan on a few track events per year. I do see some of the same boost issues but worst case I think if I set lower targets than desired then the boost will be around what I want for a low boost setup but not as low as the 1 bar I had expected.

Old 05-24-2018, 09:02 AM
Former Vendor
@pkop2JZ is a name known to all@pkop2JZ is a name known to all@pkop2JZ is a name known to all@pkop2JZ is a name known to all@pkop2JZ is a name known to all@pkop2JZ is a name known to all
I have never driven a 997 with GT30s, but from what I can see from other members dyno results you should have noooo problem at all tracking it, and if you do go out in half mile events you will really be glad you ditched VTGs for them.

I actually have a set of T3 manifolds with tial 44mm flanges that I have been contemplating on putting up for sale, not sure I can go the GT30 route with my 997 as my twin GTX3076 gen2 Supra build is still costing me a small fortune to wrap up.

As far as controlling boost, externally gated with tial 44s will definitely get the job done and prevent boost creep, I firmly believe external gates are better than internally wastegated setups.

Old 05-24-2018, 02:01 PM
y996t will become famous soon enoughy996t will become famous soon enough
What about The EFR7163 or EFR6758 turbos

Old 05-24-2018, 02:07 PM
Former Vendor
@pkop2JZ is a name known to all@pkop2JZ is a name known to all@pkop2JZ is a name known to all@pkop2JZ is a name known to all@pkop2JZ is a name known to all@pkop2JZ is a name known to all
Originally Posted by y996t
What about The EFR7163 or EFR6758 turbos

EFR7163s are a solid option, only things I don't like about them in the SRM fashion is the use of internal wastegates and big wheels stuffed in small OEM housings, but they are easy to install and have dynosheets to back it up.

On paper the GTX3076 gen2 is a similar sized turbo to the EFR 7163 but is rated for 750HP where the EFR7163 is rated for 550-600HP all in. The EFR does have the gamm-ti turbine wheel, but from what I have heard is that they do not outspool similarily sized GTX Gen2 turbos.

Another option to consider are the new Garrett G25-660HP turbos, smaller than EFR7163s and flow 660HP each...

Old 05-24-2018, 05:15 PM
y996t will become famous soon enoughy996t will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by pkop997turbo
EFR7163s are a solid option, only things I don't like about them in the SRM fashion is the use of internal wastegates and big wheels stuffed in small OEM housings, but they are easy to install and have dynosheets to back it up.

On paper the GTX3076 gen2 is a similar sized turbo to the EFR 7163 but is rated for 750HP where the EFR7163 is rated for 550-600HP all in. The EFR does have the gamm-ti turbine wheel, but from what I have heard is that they do not outspool similarily sized GTX Gen2 turbos.

Another option to consider are the new Garrett G25-660HP turbos, smaller than EFR7163s and flow 660HP each...
But will the Garrett g25 bolt up to the stock manifolds

Old 05-24-2018, 06:01 PM
After watching a race between 68mm vtg turbo get walked by bus lengths gt30 turbo..it’s hard to choose vtg...I do plan on building a street fighter type super car and want the best possible turbo...all in if could squeeze around 800 +/- I would be really happy but don’t want to get a turbo that’s to big for my application...

Old 05-24-2018, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by The Bogg
I am in the process of fine tuning my xona setup which is similar to a 3073. Based on results so far I think these will be great at the track. I plan on a few track events per year. I do see some of the same boost issues but worst case I think if I set lower targets than desired then the boost will be around what I want for a low boost setup but not as low as the 1 bar I had expected.
Bogg I’ve been following your post for some time really interesting on your setup..if you don’t mind me asking what tracks do you go to,, if I’m not mistaken you also will be running 93 octane ...do you have a time frame of when you car will be done...

Old 05-24-2018, 11:28 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Brooklyn boosting
Bogg I’ve been following your post for some time really interesting on your setup..if you don’t mind me asking what tracks do you go to,, if I’m not mistaken you also will be running 93 octane ...do you have a time frame of when you car will be done...
I had 68s before and they were decent up to about 130mph or so before intake temps skyrocketed. Maybe the DO88 big pack would have made a difference.
I go to Mosport which is a fairly fast track.
I'm away on vacation right now and v3 of the tune is sitting in my inbox waiting. V2 was pretty good. Butt dyno says it was faster than 68s but real data will tell the real story.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:29 PM
I use Sunoco ultra 94 which apparently is like acn91

Old 05-25-2018, 03:03 AM
Gotta love the old trusty butt dyno...would you say they spoiol like the 68..can you give your lopinion on throttle response and are you happy at 4K rpms.....we’re waiting...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tracking on gt30 setup