Oil change required and an incorrect oil quantity gauge correlation?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 06:19 PM
Kruncher is an unknown quantity at this point
Oil change required and an incorrect oil quantity gauge correlation?

Hey all,

I received a "change oil" message on start up a while back. I don't drive my car as much as I would like ... so it took a bit of time to get around to getting the oil changed (we did it last night, as a father-son project).

I didn't have a OBD code reader last night (it's in the mail) to reset the oil change message - I erroneously figured you could clear the message by doing some combination with the ignition / trip reset button.

After the oil change, I tried to check the oil level to ensure I put in enough oil (though I knew I put in 7 qts. of Mobil 1 0W40). When I did this, I got a message that the oil quantity was "not available at this time." I thought this was odd, but figured it was a result of the "Oil Change Required" message.

Today while driving (about 30 miles in - actually close to home), I got a warning that I was running out of oil (4-3-2-1 qts)!

I pulled over, expecting to see oil spewing everywhere.

Nothing. No smoke. No burning oil smell. No leaking oil. No indication of an oil leak anywhere. Oil filter area is clean, drain plug is clean, ... nothing. No pooled oil in my garage or at work where I parked today.

It seems like it might be a bad oil quantity sensor?

Or, are these cars programmed to "scare" you in to getting your oil changed after a certain period of time? Or did I goon something up? Or is my Oil Quantity sensor bad?

The OBD reader should be here in a couple days ...

Thanks,

Kruncher

Old 07-17-2018, 03:51 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Depending on how much you drained and for how long, car takes about 8 to 8.5 quarts of oil. You only put in 7 which was probably too low. Oil gauge reading after you lift up engine bay cover will not reset until you have driven about 10-15 minutes or about 10-15 miles. What was oil gauge reading on your way home? Am sure that it was at minimum and was telling you that you need oil. Add another quart of oil, go for a drive until the oil gauge reading comes up and see what level is and keep adding a little at a time until the oil reading reads midway. Don't overfill.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:16 AM
Thanks PorscheCrazy!

I thought it was odd I couldn't check the oil level after I initially finished the change. I'll do that and report back!

Thanks again!

Old 07-18-2018, 11:32 AM
Well, put the extra qt in ... 8 total now. Didn't have time yesterday to drive much more than about 10 miles (milk run).

Oil Quantity gauge still reads: "No information about oil level available at present."

Will drive more today ... Thanks again!