996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Engine and Transmission out: need advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 11:41 AM
Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !
Engine and Transmission out: need advice

Hey everyone. My 996tt has failed me for the first time since I've bought the car in 2010. My clutch apparently had worn unevenly, likely due to reuse of the dual mass flywheel when the clutch was replaced at 40k miles before I owned the car. Made it 30k before things failed. Since the engine and transmission are out of the car, I'm trying to figure out now what all I should do at this time. Going to be an expensive bill so I can't go wild. My mods are basic and listed in my signature. I am looking at increased performance down the road, maybe putting in some Billet 16s but nothing beyond that. I've looked through the archives and got some ideas on maintenance things to take care of now with the engine out. Below is my list I've gathered. Let me know if there is other things I should do.

1. New coolant expansion tank
2. New Rear main seal
3. pin coolant lines
4. GT2 slave conversion
5. New Engine/transmission mounts
6. 710N diverter valves (my stock ones haven't failed yet though)
7. The big one: Fix 2nd gear pop out. Looking at $5000ish just for this

Also need advice, what clutch to get. The guy at the shop working on my car has a 996tt with a GT3RS clutch with single mass flywheel that he is going to let me take for a spin. Thinking of other options though. Prior to this I was pretty set on doing a Sachs 2.5 to maintain oem drivability. Anything I'm missing? Any specific setup that will get the benefits of a single mass flywheel but have reduced noise. Other ideas? Open to opinions

Old 07-20-2018, 01:45 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
You might not want the GT2 slave, it is pretty heavy. You should fix your coolant fittings.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:08 PM
nbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud of
If you're opening up the trans I think John would suggest going for the Porsche Motorsport shift lever and a new seal, I think its only like $300.

Anything rubber I would replace, zip tie all vac lines.

Old 07-20-2018, 03:18 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
I just did all my hoses and check valves as well, it was like $500 worth of stuff.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:46 PM
DaveMo will become famous soon enoughDaveMo will become famous soon enough
Small thing, but replace all the rubber hoses.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:53 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Turbo
Hey everyone. My 996tt has failed me for the first time since I've bought the car in 2010. My clutch apparently had worn unevenly, likely due to reuse of the dual mass flywheel when the clutch was replaced at 40k miles before I owned the car. Made it 30k before things failed. Since the engine and transmission are out of the car, I'm trying to figure out now what all I should do at this time. Going to be an expensive bill so I can't go wild. My mods are basic and listed in my signature. I am looking at increased performance down the road, maybe putting in some Billet 16s but nothing beyond that. I've looked through the archives and got some ideas on maintenance things to take care of now with the engine out. Below is my list I've gathered. Let me know if there is other things I should do.

1. New coolant expansion tank
2. New Rear main seal
3. pin coolant lines
4. GT2 slave conversion
5. New Engine/transmission mounts
6. 710N diverter valves (my stock ones haven't failed yet though)
7. The big one: Fix 2nd gear pop out. Looking at $5000ish just for this

Also need advice, what clutch to get. The guy at the shop working on my car has a 996tt with a GT3RS clutch with single mass flywheel that he is going to let me take for a spin. Thinking of other options though. Prior to this I was pretty set on doing a Sachs 2.5 to maintain oem drivability. Anything I'm missing? Any specific setup that will get the benefits of a single mass flywheel but have reduced noise. Other ideas? Open to opinions
I would also do the rubber coolant hoses that go from the hardlines to the engine. Drive a car with the GT2 slave. It is heavier, but predictable and very reliable if done properly. The feel is subjective. Some people like the light fluffy unpredictable assisted clutch. It is significantly lighter. But drive it and make up your own mind. And keep in mind we have a proper sports car not a BMW 7 series 😉

Old 07-21-2018, 08:36 AM
Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !
Thanks. I'm well aware of the feel of the unassisted clutch. I've driven a 996tt with the gt2 slave conversion and the clutch pedal felt heavier at first but I didnt notice it after a bit and yeah the feel is so much better. I've driven manual transmission cars my whole life and yet I still will manage to stall the 996tt frequently. It's so annoying. I'm also thinking of going with the gt3RS 4.0 clutch set up since the throttle response is so much better with the Single mass flywheel and can handle more power if I go with different turbos at some point.

​​​​​I think that is a good idea to zip tie all the vacuum lines and replace rubber coolant lines as well.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:58 AM
Rook is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by DaveMo
Small thing, but replace all the rubber hoses.
Originally Posted by VAGscum
I would also do the rubber coolant hoses that go from the hardlines to the engine.
Why are you advocating to replace the hoses? I am asking because I have never found an account of the hoses failing. I am also in the process of replacing the water pump and front radiators and I do not plan to replace the hoses. They are still pliable and show no signs of deterioration. Why replace them?

Old 07-23-2018, 09:13 AM
DaveMo will become famous soon enoughDaveMo will become famous soon enough
When I had my engine out, they mentioned that there are hoses to the back of the engine that are difficult to get to. Since the engine is out, access is easy. And these cars are now 15 years old. One other item, if you are replacing the coolant expansion tank, I would also flush the coolant. It is listed as "lifetime" coolant, but nothing is lifetime.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by DaveMo
When I had my engine out, they mentioned that there are hoses to the back of the engine that are difficult to get to. Since the engine is out, access is easy. And these cars are now 15 years old. One other item, if you are replacing the coolant expansion tank, I would also flush the coolant. It is listed as "lifetime" coolant, but nothing is lifetime.

I just assumed the coolant would be flushed since all the hoses are disconnected and the expansion tank is being replaced but I'll certainly check.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:32 AM
I've been quoted $3400 for the GT3RS clutch setup with lightweight flywheel. I'm guessing vendors on here may be able to get me a better deal than that. Anyone with experience let me know what you paid.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:39 AM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
GT2 slave is very heavy w/ a Sachs 2.5 clutch.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:49 PM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
Stock Inlet piping is restrictive, wish I would have done this when my engine was out. Guess it depends on what you power goals are down the road. If you plan on hybrid turbos or bigger, it may be worth it to do this. Marski and Speedtech have options to entertain.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:11 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Turbo
I've been quoted $3400 for the GT3RS clutch setup with lightweight flywheel. I'm guessing vendors on here may be able to get me a better deal than that. Anyone with experience let me know what you paid.
487PP / 4.0 disc / 964RS flywheel plus misc bits and pieces are gonna be about $2K... If you use the cheaper 764PP you will save about $300.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 07-23-2018 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:29 PM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
I have the following.

88-3082-999-764 Plate
996-116-015-01 Disk
950-116-080-08 Throw Out Bearing

It was about $3391 + tax installed.

Hope this helps. Mods in signature.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine and Transmission out: need advice