996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

The oldest cliche

Old 10-02-2018, 12:02 PM
mrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond repute
The oldest cliche

I bought my 2002 Seal Gray Turbo in 2012 with about 25k miles. It was totally stock, like new inside and out and I had to have it. I’d been looking for a 996TT for over a year and wanted a 911 Turbo since I was a boy. I made arrangements to fly down to LA and buy it sight unseen. When I arrived at the dealership I knew I was not going to be able to leave without that car! Needless to say I signed the paperwork and drove it from LA to San Francisco. When I got home I wanted to keep driving it.
Over the last 6 years I made the car my own. I love working on it and do all the maintenance myself. I Did all the engine upgrades including installing the new turbos, injectors and intercoolers. I installed the exact wheels I wanted, 3 exhaust systems until I got the perfect sound. I set up the suspension with coil overs and got the road feel I thought it should have had from the start.
I had it perfectly built for my taste and power requirements. I run 1.5 bar and 100octane when I drive it which is only on the weekends. It is incredible that a 16 year old car can run with just about anything for sale today and still be a reliable, comfortable (if a bit on the loud side) car that never failed to put a smile on my face when I was around it or in it.
Last Wednesday I was in a situation where I was boxed in and behind a stopped car, a concrete divider on my left and a car on my right. The car that was in front of me swerved to the right and all I had was about a millisecond before the impact of my poor car and an inexplicably stopped car in the road. I wasn’t speeding but had no time to apply the breaks so the damage to my front end was stomach turning to look at. I just sat there frozen with my hands on the wheel in disbelief. I wanted to keep this car indefinitely and instead I would have to settle for a payout that could never fill in for the loss I felt.
Fast forward a week and it turns out the damage was limited to sheet metal and cosmetic components. While not cheap, the estimate of 13k was well under the threshold for total loss and chassis is still fully square and intact. I did get assigned 100% blame because I impacted the car in front of me but at least I’m getting my car back completely repaired for just a small deductible. I’m not posting pictures because they are too depressing.
If you love your car, be grateful it is safe and in your garage. I got used to having it in the garage and being able to drive it anytime I needed a release of stress. Now I appreciate it more than ever and the day it is parked back in my garage can’t come soon enough.

Last edited by mrmaass; 10-02-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:30 PM
mofood is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh that horrible noise ! Sorry about your car. Assuming you are ok. The car will be back on the road though, and the smile will be back!

Old 10-02-2018, 03:27 PM
mrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mofood
Oh that horrible noise ! Sorry about your car. Assuming you are ok. The car will be back on the road though, and the smile will be back!
The smile is already back. I was really worried that the impact may have caused hidden irreparable damage to the structure which would make it worthless. Once I had the report from the adjuster and my estimate indicating that impact was not nearly as bad as It felt and they were going to make it like new again I was extremely happy. We were both wearing our seatbelts and my airbag did not deploy. I didn't even get a "seat belt bruise" on my chest/collar bone. The other driver was able to drive home and he was extremely kind. He was very concerned about whether or not I was injured and didn't care a bit about his car I felt the same way toward him and I was grateful no one was hurt.
The following day I started getting depressed at the proposition of having to replace my car and start over again. Fortunately I won't have to
I have done everything to that car...it even has a brand new factory 6speed transmission thanks to an error made by my shop when doing a simple repair. Everything from the battery to the GT2RS clutch/LWFW, wavetrac, pinned coolant lines, slotted rotors, 2WD conversion, new battery/alternator, water pump, upgraded intake lifters - it just goes on and on - it was all done to make a car It reliable and powerful. I said I wouldn't post any pictures, but I guess one won't hurt.;

How to ruin a perfectly good hood and fender

One week earlier

Old 10-02-2018, 03:44 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
You're really lucky given frontal impact. I had a similar situation through no fault of my own, that resulted in a total loss of my previous pristine and low mileage example. Believe me when I say 996 turbo airbags can hurt!

I immediately replaced it with one of higher mileage ( set up similarly to yours bolt ons - rwd - wavetrac etc ) that I can't imagine going more than a week without redlining!

You dodged a major bullet if not the other car. but..Great ending to horribly begun story!

Old 10-02-2018, 04:03 PM
Yes I've never been hit by an airbag and I'm grateful for that fact. I as very surprised the bag didn't deploy. I must have missed the threshold for triggering it by a fraction of a mile an hour. The insurance company shared their formula of roughly calculating the repair cost and comparing that to the actual cash value of the car (which they stated at $49,500 which was another big surprise). If the repair cost exceeds 70% of the ACV, they will salvage it and give you the ACV. Of course, if the car is not structurally sound or symmetrical anymore that changes everything.
The odometer just crossed 65K on mine and I've been putting about 2000 miles a year on it for the last two years.
I'm glad I want to keep it because I know selling a car that has been in an accident is never easy.
I'm hoping for a Seal Grey Christmas this year

Old 10-02-2018, 06:12 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
I didn't realize that was "your" car mrmaass, when i replied earlier from my mobile device. we have chatted before. glad to hear that you are both uninjured and also coming out as well as can be expected on the repairs. i seem to remember i was told that my loss was calculated at 60% of the total market value of the car relative to "repair costs" and was actually a bit circumspect at my insurance companies rather quick decision to "total" my car and they didn't waste a minute. i felt i was in no position to argue and got them to tack on an additional $5k once they adjusted their "offer" to recognize that the car was an "x50" car. i think they were "testing" me, but it all worked out in the end. i got a "faster" ( if not dirtier ) replacement and pocketed about $15k after paying off the existing loan.

your car is really clean, and will be once again. no one has to know..unless you ever sell, of course! good luck!

Old 10-02-2018, 09:04 PM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
That may just need a front tub once taken apart. Hard to tell now, but will def need to be put on a Celette bench. Expect that estimate to go up considerably once dismantled. Glad you're okay. Cars come and go.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by '02996ttx50
I didn't realize that was "your" car mrmaass, when i replied earlier from my mobile device. we have chatted before. glad to hear that you are both uninjured and also coming out as well as can be expected on the repairs. i seem to remember i was told that my loss was calculated at 60% of the total market value of the car relative to "repair costs" and was actually a bit circumspect at my insurance companies rather quick decision to "total" my car and they didn't waste a minute. i felt i was in no position to argue and got them to tack on an additional $5k once they adjusted their "offer" to recognize that the car was an "x50" car. i think they were "testing" me, but it all worked out in the end. i got a "faster" ( if not dirtier ) replacement and pocketed about $15k after paying off the existing loan.

your car is really clean, and will be once again. no one has to know..unless you ever sell, of course! good luck!
Thanks! It was clean and looked right off the showroom floor. I remember talking back and forth with you on multiple threads in the past. I've been so busy I haven't been on the forum much lately but this was worth sharing. I've been assured it will look better than before the accident. It was perfectly clean before with the exception of typical tiny rock chips on the hood and front bumper and now those will be gone. I have used this shop before to paint match my Strosek rear spoiler and they are incredibly talented.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:19 PM
996tt owners with strosek spoilers unite

Old 10-05-2018, 10:41 AM
Atrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud of
Yikes, glad you are ok. I’ve seen cars totaled for less damage. As stated previously the dismantling will determine tub damage.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by Atrox
Yikes, glad you are ok. I’ve seen cars totaled for less damage. As stated previously the dismantling will determine tub damage.
It's hard to tell how severely damaged a car is by looking at a couple of photos. The adjuster and investigator spent 3 days disassembling the damaged area and validating that the damage to the body did not compromise the integrity of the structure. That is how they were able to calculate the total estimate and create a complete bill of materials for replacement parts. There is no question that the car will maintain a clean title and is 100% repairable. Replacement parts have been ordered and the work has begun.
I can't wait to post pictures of the car after it has been repaired! That is going to be a month or two though

Old 10-16-2018, 10:33 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Glad you’re ok. Good news is that with fresh paint on the front end you can install PPF and avoid future road debris damage.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:39 PM
I paid a visit to the body shop to check out the progress and the tech showed me how incredibly strong these cars are built. I wish I had taken pictures but basically he showed me the two main frame tubes that make the strength of the cars and they are substantial! They run along the lower right and left of the trunk in front. Both rails looked great and straight. The upper part of the trunk with the weather stripping removed shows the area that needs to be replaced and the part can easily (for them) be sectioned from any 996 and welded in. None of the main structure is damaged at all surprisingly. The most expensive part of the estimate is $2600 - The driver's side OEM full headlight assembly. The only problem is how long the parts are going to take. Most are coming from Germany and I'll be lucky to have it back in my garage this year. Better than never though
It was great to see it without the mangled hood/headlight/fender and realize it is definitely going to be fixed. I love that car!

Old 10-17-2018, 04:04 AM
soslo is on a distinguished road
Glad you're okay and the car will be okay. What suspension are you running, love the drop with the champion wheels.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:56 AM
nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !
Good luck!

My dealer had a part coming from Germany in about a week or less, surprised me.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The oldest cliche