Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Rear half shaft torque ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 08:51 AM
papigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of light
Rear half shaft torque ?

Does anyone know the torque spec for the rear half shaft nuts? I was getting more clunks coming out of my rear so I pulled the tires and found that some clown had not only installed the rear half shaft nut finger tight but also backwards with the washer facing out. I cant believe I never noticed this before. My 2012 v8v has 34K miles on it and I've owned it since 5k. I've never noticed it before and I know nobody has worked on the rear in the last 4 yrs that I"ve owned it. I have to assume it came from the factory that way and hope that it hasn't done any damage to the half shafts or gearbox over all those miles which have included many track days.

Last edited by papigko; 10-13-2018 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:12 PM
Yorick is on a distinguished road
Are you referring to the 6 bolts which secure each of the halfshaft flanges to the transaxle flanges?

Old 10-13-2018, 04:37 PM
papigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of light
No Sorry I was referring to the outermost castle nut at the end of the shaft. After re-reading my post I wasn't using the correct term sorry.

Old 10-13-2018, 05:06 PM
Yorick is on a distinguished road
The manual lists the the torque for the halfshaft nut at 300 Nm. / 222 lb/ft.
It might be a good idea to replace the nuts. If they have been clunking for a long time it's possible that they have become work-hardened which would make them brittle and prone to failure once they're properly tightened (or even failing while you are torquing them).
They used to be less than $10 each. Part number 6W83-4B423-AA

Old 10-13-2018, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the suggestion and the torque info
I will certainly do both
Still racking my brain on why someone would put it together that way. Its actually much more difficult as you cant even get a socket on it with the attached washer.

Old 10-13-2018, 07:44 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Any pictures to share? You should be able to chisel off the captive washer to remove the axle nut. The axle and hub splines are hardened so hopefully the damage is minimal. Replace and torque the nut to spec. Provided.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:41 PM
I really wished I had taken a pic It would have been more interesting having my Dealer explain how this happened.

Old 10-14-2018, 06:06 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Hopefully you have corrected the fault and can enjoy peace of mind.