Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does a bigger wheel equate to slower 0-60 times?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 10:45 PM
MSQ
MSQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Does a bigger wheel equate to slower 0-60 times?

Hello everyone,
Obviously a bigger tire looks better, but I read that putting bigger tires on a car can slow it down. Does anyone have any real life examples to prove the point either way?

Old 10-15-2018, 05:40 AM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
Real world, it s about the extra weight (if any) as I assume your would be leaving the overall diameter the same. If you change the overall diameter then it will make a bigger difference.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:16 AM
LGARCIA will become famous soon enough
I switched my 4S 19 inch stock wheels for aftermarket 22s. Overall diameter remained the same. The only difference so far is more road noise, not annoying but you can notice that you hear road noise when with the 19s there was virtually none. Then again these are wider tires and the tire wall is smalller due to the increase diameter so it makes sense. I would say I’ve not felt the car be any slower but I have nothing to prove one way or the other.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:07 PM
knowspin has a spectacular aura aboutknowspin has a spectacular aura aboutknowspin has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by MSQ
Hello everyone,
Obviously a bigger tire looks better, but I read that putting bigger tires on a car can slow it down. Does anyone have any real life examples to prove the point either way?
When the article read "bigger tires" did it mean larger diameter or wider tread? Tires can have a huge impact on performance, but I'd need to read that article to see exactly what they are talking about.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:34 PM
tallpaul is on a distinguished road
Bigger tires and wheels could have an impact on 0-60 times in both ways.

Heavier tires (taller/wider) creates more rotating mass that is a drag on straight line performance. This is why many drag racers use small wheels with wide tires.

Wider tires (more surface area) though not necessarily taller can increase traction which generally would improve 0-60 times since it would improve your ability to launch - assuming you actually can benefit from the traction and don't add more weight. This is also why drag racers use wide tires.

For most street cars you are more likely to buy too much tire/wheel negatively impacting 0-60 rather than improving. The upgrade could also help with track times. So the big question is what is the main goal - looks, 0-60/qtr mile, or road course lap times? Then you can find tires accordingly. There isn't one that will do it all, but it's pretty safe to assume if you keep the weight minimal and by a quality wheel you can at least minimize negative impact in other areas. If you are looking for a "mix", then the best bet is to invest in the tire compound.

Last edited by tallpaul; 10-16-2018 at 06:45 AM.