Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Used Vantage needs new engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 10:51 AM
lovingit is on a distinguished road
Used Vantage needs new engine

I called Atlanta motor cars dealer to ask about a manual Vantage they have for sale. The salesperson Dan said the car needs an engine so it’s not for sale yet. Apparently during the test drive, the engine lost oil pressure and a connecting rod malfunction happened. There will be a new long block from Aston Martin installed on the vehicle. All of the accessories like the fan belt alternator will be from the old engine but it will be a completely new engine. I’ve never heard this before. Would you guys be concerned?

This car is listed on the Aston Martin “preowned” website. Which I thought means it comes with warranty. Dan says that he doesn’t know if it comes with extra warranty. He said “certified” just means it’s gone thru inspection by AM technicians and doesn’t mean it comes with extra warranty. Says you may have to buy warranty. The guys here sound kind of junior.

Here is the link
https://motorcarsofatlanta.com/used-aston-martin-v8-vantage-2009-atlanta-ga-2021c

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 10-20-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:08 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
That's a big hit money wise for the dealer. Fresh long block could be a nice buy for that price. 1 year warranty on the engine thru the Manufacturer. I wouldn't be scared if the car appears clean. Additional car warranty would probably be on the buyer if the sales guy is stumbling around.

Old 10-20-2018, 03:42 PM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
My Porsche had a brand new engine installed at 21k miles. . no problems

Old 10-20-2018, 04:10 PM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
If your concern is the re-use of the accessories (e.g. alternator), what is the root of the concern? If the only thing that's blown is the motor, why replace a bunch of good accessories?

Old 10-20-2018, 05:06 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
I'd be concerned if the car required a fan belt.

Old 10-20-2018, 06:06 PM
When does the clutch go bad on these cars?

has anyone gotten the dealer to throw in extended warranty for free?

Old 10-20-2018, 06:45 PM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by lovingit
When does the clutch go bad on these cars?

has anyone gotten the dealer to throw in extended warranty for free?
Clutch is the weak point. Even a bit weaker in Sport Shift, but it depends on how the PO(s) drove the car. On ASM's the dealer can do a rudimentary clutch wear check.

I just replaced mine, at 23,000 mi,all in for about $3600 from the dealer, but i opted for OEM. Some folks, (many on here) opt for aftermarket lower weight ones for a bit more. Some here have said their clitches were in the $5-6K range.

The Extended AM warranty can be $4,000 and up, per year, depending on model and year of car. You also have to have a full recent service on the car that can be $1,500-2,000

Old 10-21-2018, 02:50 PM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
If you are getting a new engine and the price stay the same, go for it.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:17 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Love the car, it's a buy at the $57k, unless that changes. [I didn't check if it had Premium audio, that would be required]

What I'm more concerned with is another engine melting on a loss of oil pressure. Seems to be a slightly reoccurring problem on 4.7's lately.

Old 10-23-2018, 05:33 AM
bruinne is on a distinguished road
That car is beautiful

Old 10-23-2018, 10:53 AM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
09 for 57k with an new engine sounds like a great deal!

Old 10-24-2018, 01:24 AM
karmafan84 is an unknown quantity at this point
My 09 just had the same engine service done after something with the oil starting the top end of the motor. while in it needed and new clutch and brakes. After tax and labor I picked up the car with a 44k tab which I know the car isnt worth much more than but it was a coin flip. Do i just let a great car that is still worth in the high 50s with 18k original miles and 1 owner be scrapped or try to think if there was any other car i wanted that i would enjoy as much for 44k. Used 350GT, stingrays, cayman s, m3, base or 996 911's. It still dont know if it was the smart move as the car is flawed in just about every way and being made from the parts bin at ford, jag and volvo it is absurd how much it costs to keep on the road for what most would agree isn't overly impressive performance figures.

There are a fair number of people who Ive talked to that have had this issue with oil starvation causing complete engine failure. My oil was changed 2 weeks and about 60 miles before it came to a grinding screech. The dealership said it was a faulty oil filter that wasnt staying pressurized but they could say why or find anything clearly defective. I was also told 8 other things along the process so who knows.

If look at the motor with a warranty as plus or a neutral. at least you know what your starting with, check the oil weekly to be safe and you should be fine.

To those who drive theirs most days in nice weather. Do you stick to the oil change schedule? I only put about 4k miles a year at most on mine, i dont have a dealership within 250 miles since they all closed, they wouldnt honor my last warranty because the oil change was not done by a pre authorized shop and its absurd to pay 2k for an oil change. I can do it myself in an hour with 45 minutes of that spent reading while gravity does its thing
My 911 turbo and Range Rover SC both say 15k miles. i dont wait that long and just do it once a year at the start of the season i drive them and not a single problem.

buying 450 bucks in oil filters and 10w 60 oil which is impossible to find in the US gets really old and i have no idea why the car needs that spec? its made for BMW racing bikes and this is a pretty low hp, slow rev engine.

Other than that it just has little electric gremlins, wouldnt be British without them. Running a tender charger once a week even while using it seems to help with those. no idea why

Old 10-24-2018, 02:14 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
The oil change is $500. Couple hundred higher than what it would cost to do yourself, and then you still have 11 quarts of oil to dispose of, but my engine was free because it was dealer serviced

The yearly service runs about 2k which includes the oil, brake fluid flush, bunch of other stuff, new wipers, and a complete PPI which if you were buying a car they'd charge you $600+ for. [at Nissan they do that 140 point PPI for free just to find service stuff that needs attention for them to sell you, most of which they'd make up and learned I was always going to make them show me so they stopped finding stuff that didn't exist!]. With dealer labor rates over $200 it's not cheap, but indi's aren't that much cheaper and if you have a local dealer the assurance of factory service is well worth it in the overall picture. At least to me!

Old 10-24-2018, 02:28 AM
Damn, with karmafan (2009 model) and Habitual (2010 model) and this 2009 model, that is 3 cases of blown engines on v8v's. Scary.............

Old 10-24-2018, 02:37 AM
Originally Posted by lovingit
Damn, with karmafan (2009 model) and Habitual (2010 model) and this 2009 model, that is 3 cases of blown engines on v8v's. Scary.............
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
What I'm more concerned with is another engine melting on a loss of oil pressure. Seems to be a slightly reoccurring problem on 4.7's lately.
​​​​​​​
That was kinda my point

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Used Vantage needs new engine