997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Rear "Spoiler Control Failure" message HELP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 12:49 PM
mk19 is on a distinguished road
Rear "Spoiler Control Failure" message HELP

It will go up but not down automatically (periodically). Sometimes the manual switch works, other times not.

It looked like it was the upper limit switch that wasn't registering. I broke the switch getting it out and so couldn't confirm this guess. I replaced the switch ($45+) and confirmed both switches operational. No effect on the fault.Is there a way to trouble shoot the control module?
I have both PIWIS and Durametric.

Thanks in advance for any help here.
MK19

Old 10-22-2018, 05:08 AM
DaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond repute
Refill and bleed. Plenty of posts describing that here and over at Rennlist.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:44 AM
mk19 is on a distinguished road
Too Dave C.,
Thanks, that did it.
Although controlling the spoiler from the dash button isn't consistent...…..it seems to get confused between the speed based signals and that from the dashboard. I have to turn off the ignition to clear the confusion.

One thing that I learned/relearned is that even though the wing can/did extend to full height (60mm) when it worked at all, doesn't mean that the system is fully fille3d/blead...…. my did fully extend, but the refill/bleed nevertheless solved my problem.

Also FYI; years ago I had to self develop this bleeding procedure on my 996TT...….at that time all the factory offered was "buy a new system" complete.........big $$. Now I was happy to find the procedure in the manual. There's only one real difference that I can see in the 997 system compared to that of the 996TT, and that is the wing attachment is on threaded studs, vs. the 996 that used 1/4 turn zus live fasteners. I nearly broke things on the 997 until I went back and followed the manual step by step, carefully.

Thx for the pointer here,
?s

Old 10-29-2018, 05:03 PM
DaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mk19
Too Dave C.,
Thanks, that did it.
Although controlling the spoiler from the dash button isn't consistent...…..it seems to get confused between the speed based signals and that from the dashboard. I have to turn off the ignition to clear the confusion.

One thing that I learned/relearned is that even though the wing can/did extend to full height (60mm) when it worked at all, doesn't mean that the system is fully fille3d/blead...…. my did fully extend, but the refill/bleed nevertheless solved my problem.

Also FYI; years ago I had to self develop this bleeding procedure on my 996TT...….at that time all the factory offered was "buy a new system" complete.........big $$. Now I was happy to find the procedure in the manual. There's only one real difference that I can see in the 997 system compared to that of the 996TT, and that is the wing attachment is on threaded studs, vs. the 996 that used 1/4 turn zus live fasteners. I nearly broke things on the 997 until I went back and followed the manual step by step, carefully.

Thx for the pointer here,
?s
No problem! Glad you got it going. The 6 and 7 TT wing actuation mechanisms are virtually identical. Sadly all the guts, hoses, cylinders, seals, banjos, pistons, motor, drive block, etc. are the same - and thus prone to the same 14 or so failure mechanisms: https://rennkit.com/why-factory-set-fails/