Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

GT4 exhaust + X pipe for a 4.7 V8V

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 05:08 PM
FR500GT will become famous soon enoughFR500GT will become famous soon enough
GT4 exhaust + X pipe for a 4.7 V8V

Is anybody running a combination of the GT4 exhaust (or muffler delete) + a Fabspeed X pipe (or any X pipe) on a 4.7 V8V? I'm starting to plan out my build and wanted to have our race shop make a titanium X pipe + muffler delete for my 2009 AM V8V 4.7. After researching on here, it sounds like the GT4 exhaust (or muffler delete) is not much louder than the Fuse 22 bypass and then the X pipe actually quiets the noise down slightly but makes for a more exotic tone. I have no plans to swap out cats at this point.

Last edited by FR500GT; 10-23-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:18 PM
bolteon is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by FR500GT
Is anybody running a combination of the GT4 exhaust (or muffler delete) + a Fabspeed X pipe (or any X pipe) on a 4.7 V8V? I'm starting to plan out my build and wanted to have our race shop make a titanium X pipe + muffler delete for my 2009 AM V8V 4.7. After researching on here, it sounds like the GT4 exhaust (or muffler delete) is not much louder than the Fuse 22 bypass and then the X pipe actually quiets the noise down slightly but makes for a more exotic tone. I believe doing titanium over SS will help give it a slightly higher pitch as well no? I have no plans to swap out cats at this point as I know they are part of the factory headers. Any and all help is appreciated.
You sir, have a lot of mis-information right there.

Just a heads up- titanium is just lighter than steel. Acoustically, they're the same.

Old 10-23-2018, 05:32 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Your catalyst is not part of the headers, 2009 is still serviceable. Pulling fuse #22 is child's play in sound compared to no muffler. Have them delete the muffler and go from there. Stainless over titanium, PIPE is pipe. Fab with the cheap stuff, finish with the nice stuff.

Old 10-23-2018, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by J doubleU
Your catalyst is not part of the headers, 2009 is still serviceable. Pulling fuse #22 is child's play in sound compared to no muffler. Have them delete the muffler and go from there. Stainless over titanium, PIPE is pipe. Fab with the cheap stuff, finish with the nice stuff.
This.

Old 10-23-2018, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by bolteon
You sir, have a lot of mis-information right there.

Just a heads up- titanium is just lighter than steel. Acoustically, they're the same.
Yeah, still trying to sort out what is what on this platform. Hmm I always thought that Ti had a slightly different sound.

Originally Posted by J doubleU
Thanks for the clarification. Does a muffler delete-only carry a lot of drone on this car? Having fuse 22 pulled still allows for the exhausts to flow through the muffler which would have a similar effect to a helmholts resonator which usually helps cut down on drone.

Old 10-23-2018, 05:44 PM
Does a muffler delete-only carry a lot of drone on this car? Having fuse 22 pulled still allows for the exhausts to flow through the muffler which would have a similar effect to a helmholts resonator which usually helps cut down on drone.
...a helmholts oscialltor is an exercise in more noise being made- not less. Plus the point of a pass through/bypass, is that it by passes the muffler itself.

The majority of sound-tuning (and this is a huge part of car dev) is done via baffles of different sorts; those baffles (inside the muffler) absorb the exhaust notes coming from the engine; the tricky part being to let through the wanted frequencies and adsorb the unwanted ones (like cabin "drone").

Often this is accomplished via rubber/plastic resonators that are mounted near things that make the unwanted frequencies.

Last edited by bolteon; 10-23-2018 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:33 PM
akshon is on a distinguished road
Is anybody running a combination of the GT4 exhaust (or muffler delete) + a Fabspeed X pipe (or any X pipe) on a 4.7 V8V? I'm starting to plan out my build and wanted to have our race shop make a titanium X pipe + muffler delete for my 2009 AM V8V 4.7. After researching on here, it sounds like the GT4 exhaust (or muffler delete) is not much louder than the Fuse 22 bypass and then the X pipe actually quiets the noise down slightly but makes for a more exotic tone. I have no plans to swap out cats at this point.

I actually have. My set up was RSC cats with AP velocity X pipe and AP velocity muffler delete.
I put the stock muffler with valves disconnected back recently.

Its pretty loud but not that bad I would say. Around the same as a Gt3 with center exhaust delete.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by akshon
I actually have. My set up was RSC cats with AP velocity X pipe and AP velocity muffler delete.
I put the stock muffler with valves disconnected back recently.

Its pretty loud but not that bad I would say. Around the same as a Gt3 with center exhaust delete.
Thanks for the input. Any videos with this setup?

Old 10-27-2018, 12:28 PM
Anybody else running a similar setup?

Old 10-27-2018, 02:34 PM
Anybody else running a similar setup?
Just installed the VAP GT4 delete on Centenary 23... holy crap.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by bolteon

Just installed the VAP GT4 delete on Centenary 23... holy crap.
Post a video!

Old 10-30-2018, 01:54 PM
Post a video!
My other toy DD was a 1965 Fastback Mustang done up to the 9's. The cars name was Thunder, since the exhaust was full length headers, feeding into an x-pipe and flowmaster Super 40's with side dump (starting with a stroked 347ci V8).

This car is basically modern Thunder. ;-)

Attached Files
File Type: mov
Untitled2.mov (2.95 MB, 70 views)
Old 10-30-2018, 11:20 PM
lilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud of
Here is my previous Vantage with the GT4 SuperSport Exhaust (muffler delete)

Here is my current V8VS with the VelocityAP Secondary Cat Deletes, Aston Martin Sport Exhaust, and VelocityAP tune

https://bit.ly/2OdjNsN

I prefer my current setup over my previous

Last edited by lilseevs; 10-30-2018 at 11:25 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:54 PM
Here's a back to back, deeper tone and a decent amount louder. The best differences are under-load... for saving 66lbs, it's a great idea.

If you want crackle, you'll need a tune to splash some gas into the exhaust and that will get you there. Removing cats isn't really a great idea in my opinion, but each to their own.

Last edited by bolteon; 10-30-2018 at 11:57 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:53 AM
lilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud of
My issue with the gt4 muffler delete, is the sound drastically changes from the unique Aston exotic v8 to a more pure/raw v8 sound. I drove around with the gt4 muffler delete on my prior car for over a year, it was definitely loud and fun but the sound was not unique especially in the higher rpm ranges. When on the track, it sounded very similar to a couple of hellcats I was rolling with - which was the glass shattering moment for me to not pursue the same setup on my current V8VS

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT4 exhaust + X pipe for a 4.7 V8V