997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Wheels Spacers, Lowest off set and is it better for handling ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 11:10 AM
900AERO is on a distinguished road
Wheels Spacers, Lowest off set and is it better for handling ?

Hello all. I have been searching and reading for weeks about spacers but I can't find the answer to my questions. I have 997.2 tt lowered on GMG springs and running RS171 19x8.5 et 53 ( 235/35/19) and 19x11.5 et44 (305/30/19). While I would love to push he wheel a few mm to the outside just for looks with some spacers I still have some questions and concerns:

A- What is the widest spacer I can put on my car with the wheels and springs specs mentioned above whithout rubbing on he track or on the canyons bumpy roads and aggressive elevation turns.
B- Why do most people seem to use spacers that are double the thickness in the rear compared to the front. Why not go with the same size front and rear. ( I'm assuming it's just for the flush look) but how does that staggered spacer setup affect handling ?
C- Which would be better for handling with my set up.
1- no spacers . 2- square set up ( for example 8mm all around ) . 3- staggered spacers 8mm front and 15 rear

Please reply based on the wheels specs I mentioned above. If you do have spacers please do not just say i have xxmm spacers . please state the full specs of your wheels size, width, offset and tires size along with it so we can understand your final offset and diameter

I hope the answers to this thread will help many make an informative decision about wheels spacers/ wider wheels specs etc.

Here are some helpful links if you need them:
wheel offset calculator
https://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator
tire size calculator
https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Thank you all

Old 11-15-2018, 12:58 PM
997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !
in terms of fitment, I was going to rent this thing:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...202ecs03lktkt/

Old 11-15-2018, 02:48 PM
kwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond repute
As you may know, the OEM wheel specs are: front 19x8.5 et 56; rear 19x11 et 51. Most owners use 7 and 15 mm spacers with these wheels. Your after market wheels have already changed the offsets somewhat. 7mm offsets on the front wheels will reduce the OEM offset to the optimum et 49. Since you are already at 53, you could use spacers of 4mm, but you could safely go up to 8mm which would push the wheels out a bit further. Bear in mind that this aggressive setup could result in debris chips on the side of the car. Your rear wheels are 1/2 inch wider than OEM so the offset has already been lowered by that amount. I consider an et of 39 or 40mm to be good on the rear, so you could use 4 or 5 mm spacer on the rear. My after market wheels have offsets of 45mm front and 40mm rear, and I believe they are perfect.
I hope this helps, but a check with a wheel expert at Tire Rack would not hurt.

Old 11-15-2018, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by kwiksilver
As you may know, the OEM wheel specs are: front 19x8.5 et 56; rear 19x11 et 51. Most owners use 7 and 15 mm spacers with these wheels. Your after market wheels have already changed the offsets somewhat. 7mm offsets on the front wheels will reduce the OEM offset to the optimum et 49. Since you are already at 53, you could use spacers of 4mm, but you could safely go up to 8mm which would push the wheels out a bit further. Bear in mind that this aggressive setup could result in debris chips on the side of the car. Your rear wheels are 1/2 inch wider than OEM so the offset has already been lowered by that amount. I consider an et of 39 or 40mm to be good on the rear, so you could use 4 or 5 mm spacer on the rear. My after market wheels have offsets of 45mm front and 40mm rear, and I believe they are perfect.
I hope this helps, but a check with a wheel expert at Tire Rack would not hurt.
Thank you for the great reply. Any photos of your wheel set up that you can share.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:33 AM
kwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond repute
No current pics, but I'll try to take some this weekend.

Old 11-17-2018, 04:43 AM
El Dario Loco is on a distinguished road
Does anyone know how much additional space there is front and back, compared to the stock set-up, before you risk tire rub? I know it depends on ride height, tire size etc, but is there a ball park figure?

Old 11-17-2018, 02:42 PM
nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !
Depends on camber too. I've got a very similar setup with the same wheels, although my rears are 11". I've used 7mm spacers up front and I think it perfect, but my front camber is -2.1.

I've ordered another pair of 7mm spacers for the rear and think that will push them out just the right amount.

Originally Posted by 900AERO
what spacers you have on the rear. Does the 7mm have a lip to center the wheel ? if so what brand/ part number.
Don't have any on the rear at the moment. I have H&R Track+. The rear 15mm are hubcentric, front 7mm are not.

The 7mm I've just ordered from Pelican are from Rennline and have the hubcentric lip to help hold the wheel in place.

Last edited by nzskater; 11-17-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:23 AM
cjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm running the typical 7 & 15mm on stock wheels and I would not want to go any wider. Some say there can be issues with throwing gravel/debris up onto the rear fender flares since the tires protrude out a bit.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by El Dario Loco
Does anyone know how much additional space there is front and back, compared to the stock set-up, before you risk tire rub? I know it depends on ride height, tire size etc, but is there a ball park figure?
That is exactly what I'm trying to figure out.