Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Argh! Broke my Bumper

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 08:15 PM
Lucky John is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Argh! Broke my Bumper

Anyone got any good and reasonably priced solutions? Or an extra 2010 Bentley Flying Spur front bumper they would like to sell? Recommendations for an after market one and not one of the 4-8 thousand dollar ones?

We are having a bunch of work done at our Farm, new whole house generator/Solar install etc. I learned when I had a Viper not to leave it parked around in sight during this type of work, or I would end up paying a "Viper Tax." SO, I was parking the Bentley in various barns where it wouldn't be noticeable. When I backed out of the long barn, I caught the front lip of the bumper on a large rock. As I backed up I heard a crack and it was too late. I am missing a two by four inch chunk out of the bumper. Runs right up to the bottom of the grille. The bumper also cracked on one corner. I keep thinking maybe it could be glued back together and resprayed but I am just checking if anyone knows any easy solutions. For all your enjoyment I will try and post pictures this weekend.

Last edited by Lucky John; 11-16-2018 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:13 AM
larryr has a spectacular aura aboutlarryr has a spectacular aura about
do you have the piece that broke off?a " cheap" fix is to have repair with fiberglass.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:05 AM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
I'd need to see pics. And, what color car? Some paints are easier matches than others.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:30 PM
Lucky John is an unknown quantity at this point
Pictures as promised. We have three barns and I keep some cars in the long barn but the cats don't have access to that one. So I have a ****load of mice traps around. The momma cat followed me out to the barn and went in while I was backing out. It was dark and I must of tripped a trap but thought the cat had. I zipped in and out and clipped that rock. Fortunately it was probably a tire that triggered the trap and the cat was fine. I will try to get in to a body shop after Thanksgiving and see what they say. OH, and in b/4 that will buff right out.

What a bummer.

I blame momma cat and that rock and my driving.

These are the pieces I could find.

The long barn. 220' by 44' I rent out half to a friend and his gutter company but the other half is storage. I only have three cars in it right now.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:19 AM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
Well, it probably can be repaired. A good fiberglass guy might get those pieces back in place and glue in some reinforcement strips in the voids on the inside of the bumper. Paint also looks like a non-metalic blue? Easier to get matched than other colors.

I've seen used bumpers (breaker takeoffs) on Ebay. Seems like they're always in need of repair/repaint anyway, so you might be good just taking the road of repair instead.

IMO.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:52 PM
Rons GT Speed will become famous soon enough
Luck John.
I was going to attempt repairing my cracked bumper and found some interesting products out there. You might consider reading in one of the past treads "Repairing Bumper Cracks." One of the other 6speeders found what he considered the best way to repair the bumpers. It would be well worth the effort to repair. It is some what easy to backup the broken parts with fiberglass on the inner side and then perform the finish work on the exterior side of the bumper. You might consider doing the repair work yourself and then have a professional painter perform the color match and finish work. Painting can be vary difficult especially if the paint is in what they call a 3 stage paint, "base color, pearl, and a clear top coat."
Ron

Old 11-19-2018, 08:05 PM
W. M. Hellinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Depending on how fussy you are, I've found that simple ABS cement seemingly works. From what I can determine, the bumper skin is ABS plastic. I fixed a number of cracks in my 2008 GTC front bumper skin this past spring. I simply applied the ABS cement to both sides of the cracks, spreading each crack a tad with a screw driver enough to get the glue well into the crack. Once the glue was applied I taped the cracks together with metal ducting tape till cured. It helped to have a spare set of hands to hold the skin just-right to press the crack together when applying the tape. Then I reinforced the back sides of the cracks with strips of metal window screen worked into an application of the ABS cement on the back. It's been about 6 months since I made the repairs and reassembled the bumper skin on the vehicle and so-far, so-good. I flex-tested the repaired cracks some before reassembling the bumper skin on the vehicle... likely more flexing than those portions of the skin will be subjected to on the vehicle and they held fine. For the most part, no-more than a hairline is visible where the cracks were... easily passes a 10ft. test. Admittedly none of my cracks seemed to be at an serious stress points on the skin. The real test will likely be to see how my fix-it holds up over the winter temperatures and driving.

And: You'll likely be best served to remove the bumper skin to repair. With that, I'll suggest there's likely two 8mm head (as I recall) mounting screws just toward the grill from the inside (high beam) headlights, which I found to be difficult to remove and replace... I haven't found the right wrench/tool to do that yet... used a small 12-point carb box end wrench, making 1/24th of a turn at a time flipping the wrench over and over. And I suggest to not tight-tighten the two, one on each side, torx head mounting screws that go "up" into the top of the bumper skin from inside the wheel wells... as I did... cracked one side first time hit a decent bump in the road... fixed it (by taking the bumper skin off again), and reassembled with those two screw heads backed with a thin home-made neoprene foam washer on each side.

Last edited by W. M. Hellinger; 11-20-2018 at 09:46 PM. Reason: addition