Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Who gets tires from America’s Tires (aka Discount Tires)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 01:04 AM
lovingit is on a distinguished road
Who gets tires from America’s Tires (aka Discount Tires)

I have been going to America’s Tires for a long time. Great prices and usually great service. Quick and efficient. But if I’m about to take my AM Vantage there, I’d be a little hesitant that these workers aren’t familiar with the frame points for jacking up the car to change the tires. I don’t think I’ve seen exotics there when I get my service. Are exotics any different in terms of frame points for jacking? I know I’m not familiar with them as I’m just joining the brand.

For owners that buy their tires there, do you folks feel comfortable letting them work on your car or do you have to show them every time? I’m trying to find pictures where I can point and show them. Is it just where the sills end near the wheels (heard there isn’t much room for error so could damage the car)?

Last edited by lovingit; 11-19-2018 at 01:09 AM.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:24 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I took Tire Racks recommendation for Snow/Ice tires for my 2013 SLK55 - they are without doubt the worst snow and Ice performance ever! Michelin Alpins. I had my Aston dealer match Tire Rack's pricing and install them, so I'm out $1,300 - tomorrow I'm having Blazzaks installed (by same Aston dealer) which are $500 less!

Old 11-19-2018, 06:25 AM
Hedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the rough
I got my Michelin P4S at a Discount store which came recommended by local exotic car community. You are right to worry about the install....the jacking points are clearly visible but it's a good idea to mark them with bright paint. My local Discount did everything by hand and used pucks as well. Talk to the manager and get an experienced installer. And be there to watch them. That all said, I am very satisfied with the pricing and service experience at Discount.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:50 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
If I recall there was a recent thread about a tire shop who didn't jack up an Aston correctly and caused unfixable frame damage that resulted in the car being totaled...

Good cause to worry. My dealer said they would install customer supplied parts ands I presume that extends to tires as well

Old 11-19-2018, 07:00 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
I've brought previous cars to NTB without an issue. Call ahead and speak to the manager only when ordering and scheduling the install. Let him align his best tech's for your install.

Our local AM dealer matches TireRack prices so now this is my default choice for tires. They charge more per tire to install, but I think it's worth it to have them put it on the lift and have a look around while it's up there.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:45 AM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
Basically you can go to any 'good' shop and literally show them exactly the 4 jack points you want the lift to touch. DO NOT let them guess. What looks like boxed frame rails about a foot further in are NOT lift points and that's what they would likely guess. Print this out below... take it with you. Unless the shop has intimate knowledge of jacking a Vantage, stand there and watch them. If they wont take your input, go elsewhere.

https://www.redpants.lol/how-to-get-...n-jack-stands/

Old 11-19-2018, 11:25 AM
dpath is an unknown quantity at this point
I had my TPMS sensors replaced at my local American Tire store (in Ventura). I was concerned about how they were going to lift the car but they used 4 floor jacks at the correct locations (without the need of my input). They also had the equipment to determine which sensors had failed and had the correct Huf replacement sensors. They replaced the sensors without scratching the wheels so I wouldn’t hesitate to have this American Tire store replace my tires (and they will match or beat prices from Tire Rack). Hopefully you can find a similar American Tire store in your area.

Old 11-19-2018, 12:47 PM
lovingit is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RolexDaytona1
Basically you can go to any 'good' shop and literally show them exactly the 4 jack points you want the lift to touch. DO NOT let them guess. What looks like boxed frame rails about a foot further in are NOT lift points and that's what they would likely guess. Print this out below... take it with you. Unless the shop has intimate knowledge of jacking a Vantage, stand there and watch them. If they wont take your input, go elsewhere.

https://www.redpants.lol/how-to-get-...n-jack-stands/
That tiny sliver of rectangular area is NOT going to be enough for the America Tire's jack stands. I think theirs are usually lot bigger no (circular stands size)?

Old 11-19-2018, 05:16 PM
Viper98912 is an unknown quantity at this point
Jack it up at home, take the wheels in your pickup truck.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:21 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by lovingit
That tiny sliver of rectangular area is NOT going to be enough for the America Tire's jack stands. I think theirs are usually lot bigger no (circular stands size)?
I Have the pucks made by a forum sponsor---search the threads---- that are used to jack the vehicle up. I recently bough a quick jack and now just use the rubber 4" pads it came with. I just put them under the hole jacking point and lift. No issue and several members with quick jacks do the same. SO thier pads if placed correctly under the holes is fine. Get some hockey pucks and have them places under the holes them lifted if you prefer. But if you know where they are, and can point them out, then your fine.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:45 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
I just had a set of Tire Rack 4S's installed at Mavis. I made sure I could set the jack points on the lift, used my hockey pucks. They had their best guy that does all the Vettes do the job, and still, I got 3 marks on 1 rear and 1 small powdercoat bite on the other. I should have just paid the $380 to have them installed at the dealer, but with tax on the tires adding another $80, $460 to $100 is a tough swallow, expecting Mavis NOT to put any marks on my rims ;/

And the tires, are too sticky. These things don't spin like the AM9's did. In fact the only time I broke them loose I got violent biting wheel hop and I've been hearing a low grumble out of the right rear ever since. I'm going to have to have it checked, drain the box and see if I chunked some gears.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:21 AM
lilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud of
For such a large chain, not only would I be worried about them not knowing how to jack up the car - I’d be worried about the handling of the wheels and potential scuffing of them. Especially with the diamond cut wheels a lot of our cars have, those are pricey repairs not any wheel repairer can tackle. There should be some good local performance oriented tire shops in your area, who almost always match othe shops rates. I wouldnt even risk it personally

Old 11-20-2018, 09:21 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
The last set of tires I put on my Z I used the "high end wheel shop" and they scuffed all 4 rims.

Old 11-20-2018, 09:48 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by lilseevs
For such a large chain, not only would I be worried about them not knowing how to jack up the car - I’d be worried about the handling of the wheels and potential scuffing of them. Especially with the diamond cut wheels a lot of our cars have, those are pricey repairs not any wheel repairer can tackle. There should be some good local performance oriented tire shops in your area, who almost always match othe shops rates. I wouldnt even risk it personally
Good reason to have the dealer do them. They'll be on the hook to fix the scuffs, not the tire shop...

Old 11-20-2018, 04:49 PM
rohnin is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi
Good reason to have the dealer do them. They'll be on the hook to fix the scuffs, not the tire shop...
How do you make sure? I’m worried about this

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who gets tires from America’s Tires (aka Discount Tires)