Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Anybody used db meter for checking noise levels ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 06:26 AM
cuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond repute
Anybody used db meter for checking noise levels ?

Anybody used db meter for checking noise levels in their cars ? Looking for recommendations and what is tolerance level for DB9.

Old 11-21-2018, 01:17 PM
Agaton12 is on a distinguished road
My car is a V12S on p-Zero tyres. I would really prefer less road noise at highway speeds, and I have done some very unscientific measurements. On my car/my tyres I find the noise unremarkable on good surfaces but annoying on poor. I was mainly trying to understand if the main reason for the noise was lack of sound deadening or tyre construction. I cannot recall the actual values I measured, but I used as a baseline the values from my dd which I believe are quite normal. The Vantage values were 8-10dB higher on the same roads. The only comparison I made at the time was with a Rapide on Potenza tyres . The Rapide was 5-6dB quieter than the Vantage.

Old 11-21-2018, 05:20 PM
cuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Agaton12
My car is a V12S on p-Zero tyres. I would really prefer less road noise at highway speeds, and I have done some very unscientific measurements. On my car/my tyres I find the noise unremarkable on good surfaces but annoying on poor. I was mainly trying to understand if the main reason for the noise was lack of sound deadening or tyre construction. I cannot recall the actual values I measured, but I used as a baseline the values from my dd which I believe are quite normal. The Vantage values were 8-10dB higher on the same roads. The only comparison I made at the time was with a Rapide on Potenza tyres . The Rapide was 5-6dB quieter than the Vantage.
Thanks! It has been few months since I had Pilot Sport 4S tires installed. Balanced and Aligned too. Very smooth ride. Recently there is wind noise which wasn't there before (thread here). I feel that wind is coming from driver side bottom of the windshield and also the point where side view mirrors are attached. If I keep my hand at the point where side view mirrors are attached, noise stops (!). Tech said that it is normal at that point, wind is going back after hitting windshield and SA said it sounds like any other DB9 which I am disagreeing. I never noticed these issues with my car before. So, when I go to pickup the car, I want to take a db meter and show them comparing with normal tolerance levels.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:38 AM
gaussianmist is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by cuddapah
Thanks! It has been few months since I had Pilot Sport 4S tires installed. Balanced and Aligned too. Very smooth ride. Recently there is wind noise which wasn't there before (thread here). I feel that wind is coming from driver side bottom of the windshield and also the point where side view mirrors are attached. If I keep my hand at the point where side view mirrors are attached, noise stops (!). Tech said that it is normal at that point, wind is going back after hitting windshield and SA said it sounds like any other DB9 which I am disagreeing. I never noticed these issues with my car before. So, when I go to pickup the car, I want to take a db meter and show them comparing with normal tolerance levels.
I have a couple of SPL meters that I can use to monitor noise. (I use them for audio purposes.). What speed and weighting would you like me to use (I suugest A weighting)?.