Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Out of state purchases

Old 12-14-2018, 12:31 AM
lovingit is on a distinguished road
Out of state purchases

I’ve have had my AM for 3 weeks now. I bought it from GA and shipped to CA. The sales manager from dealer doesn’t seem like he completely understands the process. He told me to go to DMV after 4-5 weeks to pick up my tags. I told him my temp GA tags expire soon so I can’t wait 4-5 weeks. I called my local AAA office and spoke to their DMV services folks and gave them my VIN and they said it’s not in the system. I thought there must be an error because it’s been 3 weeks since car was delivered. They told me since I bought the car from a dealer from out of state, I would have to go to DMV to apply for my license plates. I hate going to DMV.......

So apparently, I found out that the dealer has a company they work with called Speedy Registration Services. I had the sales manager give me their contact since he said they would be better suited to give me exact instructions. Not sure why he didn’t know this. I called them and they said I need to 1) get smog check 2) go to dmv and get my VIN verified. Supposedly, VIN verification is extremely quick and I just park on the side of the dmv and someone comes out. I’m not sure if I need to fill out additional form or not. Once smog and vin verification is done, Speedy Registration Services will mail me my license plates. Oh, they told me they don’t pay for shipping so I have to contact the dealer to overnight them a shipping label so they can mail me my plates. Not sure why this wasn’t already done either. This is my first time buying from out of state. Is CA or all out of states require these two steps?

Did buyers from out out of state have a more fluid process or did I just get bad guidance?

Last edited by lovingit; 12-14-2018 at 12:33 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:18 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
It's all dealer and state dependent (just like insurance...). I've had seamless purchases and PITA purchases. In all cases I needed at least a VIN check before getting plates.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:15 AM
yankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond repute
I'll guess they also charged a hefty documentation fee but are incompetent in completing this work.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:54 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Do not use a 3rd party to register your car. Do it yourself. I had my registration in limbo for months because of this. Ask them to send the title and that's that...

Old 12-14-2018, 11:25 AM
mjanis will become famous soon enough
I have bought out of state cars. I also live in CA.

In the past I always had the title in hand. I then make a DMV appointment which I must say has been very efficient. You go to your appointment. The car needs to be smog tested beforehand. They check the VIN and emission tags under the hood. You pay state sales tax, Registration and title fees, and they give you new plates and your title comes in the mail.

Very easy as as long as everything is in order.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:27 AM
mjanis will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by mjanis
I have bought out of state cars. I also live in CA.

In the past I always had the title in hand. I then make a DMV appointment which I must say has been very efficient. You go to your appointment. The car needs to be smog tested beforehand. They check the VIN and emission tags under the hood. You pay state sales tax, Registration and title fees, and they give you new plates and your title comes in the mail.

Very easy as as long as everything is in order.
you also need a copy of the bill of sale so they can figure out how much sales tax to charge you

Old 12-14-2018, 01:10 PM
lovingit is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by yankee04
I'll guess they also charged a hefty documentation fee but are incompetent in completing this work.
So true. Not only did they forget a prepaid fedex label so I can mail in the paperwork and check, then I had to pay it out of pocket. Now it’s taking them time to send me the reimbursement check. Not too thrilled.

Old 12-14-2018, 02:24 PM
Batman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura about
I've purchased several cars out of state, and I always take care of taxes and registration on my own.

Quick VIN verification, and painful check to pay the fees and I'm all set.

If you're working with the third party and fear the delay, you can go to your local office and get temp tags from them. Take in your bill of sale and proof of third party involvement.

Old 12-14-2018, 02:26 PM
hkg1997 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mjanis

you also need a copy of the bill of sale so they can figure out how much sales tax to charge you
Yes I am in CA and also did it myself and just like what mjanis described above.
One more thing, if the title has a lien on it, make sure you have the release paperwork from the bank. I have to go to DMV twice because the first time I do not have that.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:10 PM
englishmatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry you're having such a tough time. I'm in GA and I can tell you that the selling dealer has up to 30 days to file the sale with the local DMV (not sure if that's with CA or not). That said, I'm shocked that the dealer hasn't offered to send out some additional drive out tags to cover the extended time it's taking.

While I've not purchased a car out of state, I've purchased a ton of motorcycles out of state with mixed ease of registration at the DMV. In all cases I've done the vehicle registration and paperwork myself. A VIN check in GA is done by the local police dept. You simply call the police and the nearest officer pulls up, verifies the VIN, gives you a piece of paper and you're all set.

All that said, I'm likely to purchase a car out of state in the next week or two and will go through it all again.

GA DMV only needs the following:

1.) Bill Of Sale
2.) Emissions document if the car is old enough to require one
3.) Proof of Insurance by way of an Insurance Rider
4.) Title of you have it or lien holder information if financed
5.) A check for the local taxes and fees.
Note: Annoyingly, they calculate the taxes based upon the either the vehicle Fair Market Value in their System or your Bill Of Sale - WHICH EVER IS HIGHER!!!
If the vehicle is not loaded in the state system, they use the average of NADA book value or your Bill Of Sale - WHICH EVER IS HIGHER!!!

I hope it all works out for you mate, kinda takes the shine off the new car when you have to deal with all this BS.

Old 12-14-2018, 05:19 PM
Viper98912 is an unknown quantity at this point
This is why I never pay the dealer anything outside of the car.

I will register the car, pay my taxes, apply for a new title, etc, all 100% completely on my own.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:56 PM
RandyV will become famous soon enough
Bought my Vantage from a dealer in FL and they had a tag agency handling the paperwork. We had some challenges only because Colorado is super picky about things. I ultimately ended up having to go in to the DMV to sign some things, but overall the experience wasn't too bad. The woman at the tag agency was very helpful and communicated directly with the CO DMV on several occasions to help get things solved. It probably took longer than if I had just paid the taxes at the DMV myself, but overall it worked out just fine. Much better than the last car I bought in FL where a VIN digit was missing from the title (long story).