Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V8V 6Speed Reliability

Old 12-17-2018, 10:29 AM
Vettel-ish is an unknown quantity at this point
V8V 6Speed Reliability

Good afternoon,

I am looking to purchase a 12-16 V8V in the future and I am wondering if there is a big diff in years with the 6 speed. I have read a bunch on forums however nothing specific.

Also my local dealership is quoting me 1800 for annual service. (every 10k miles). Are you seeing the same. I live in WI and the car would most likely have to go to Chicago for service.

Thank you for any feedback.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:23 AM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
I have a 2006 V8V stick with 78k miles, and I have been daily driving it for the last 5.5yrs... 36k of that mileage was by me, and I can say it has been a GREAT car. Any good indie mechanic used to working on high end cars can do your service. I provide the oil & filter and my mechanic charges me just 1hr labor... Do find someone familiar with the car to work on it.. its a bit finiky to jack up properly.. .and there is a process for the oil service. There really isn't that much special maintenance these cars need. (V12s a little more). Pretty bulletproof IMO. Just regular fluids etc. Plugs at 70k, no timing belt. For the V8s I am not aware of anything different in the manual gearbox.. But I have one of the oldest and its been fine. Some people seemed to chew thru clutches, but I firmly believe that's operator error for the most part. I am still on the original clutch.

Good luck with purchase!

Old 12-17-2018, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by RolexDaytona1
I have a 2006 V8V stick with 78k miles, and I have been daily driving it for the last 5.5yrs... 36k of that mileage was by me, and I can say it has been a GREAT car. Any good indie mechanic used to working on high end cars can do your service. I provide the oil & filter and my mechanic charges me just 1hr labor... Do find someone familiar with the car to work on it.. its a bit finiky to jack up properly.. .and there is a process for the oil service. There really isn't that much special maintenance these cars need. (V12s a little more). Pretty bulletproof IMO. Just regular fluids etc. Plugs at 70k, no timing belt. For the V8s I am not aware of anything different in the manual gearbox.. But I have one of the oldest and its been fine. Some people seemed to chew thru clutches, but I firmly believe that's operator error for the most part. I am still on the original clutch.

Good luck with purchase!
Awesome feedback, thank you! I need to find someone local to service it.

Anyone else have a success story?

Old 12-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I had a 2007 V8 with a 6 speed the clutch was very heavy - I understand the clutches later on had less force needed, but my newer Vantages (an 09, a 15GT and a V12S) has Sportshift - so no clutch.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:10 PM
Jagman70 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Vettel-ish
Awesome feedback, thank you! I need to find someone local to service it.

Anyone else have a success story?
I own a 2009 Vantage 6spd manual with 16k miles. Purchased it 3 years ago with 8900 miles. Did the AM dealer service only once. Too pricey for what they do. Like RolexDaytona, I purchase the AM filters and oil ( I use Redpants) and have a competent local garage do the oil change. Very easy and reasonable. The Aston V8’s are reliable engines. Routine service is not complicated.

Old 12-17-2018, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by Jagman70

I own a 2009 Vantage 6spd manual with 16k miles. Purchased it 3 years ago with 8900 miles. Did the AM dealer service only once. Too pricey for what they do. Like RolexDaytona, I purchase the AM filters and oil ( I use Redpants) and have a competent local garage do the oil change. Very easy and reasonable. The Aston V8’s are reliable engines. Routine service is not complicated.
Thank you Jagman!

Old 12-17-2018, 02:34 PM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
Have 07 4.3 AM power pack and every option available that year. 115k miles and only major issue due to mouse damage and big bumps and horse shoes. BTW AM cast suspension parts actually bend before they break, new phenomena to me.

Old 12-17-2018, 03:16 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
The years you are looking at should all have the same transmission. Annual service is lower at my local AM dealer FWIW (maybe $1200 or less). Each year may include some additional services like air filters or differential... Brake fluid and oil change are every year. Checking the oil the dry sump V8 is a little tricky. I don't mind paying a little extra going to the dealer as they'll do some inspection on the car during the annual and are good to point out anything to get ahead of it. Battery on the ECU should be replaced every year or other year; I forget. If something happened to the car due service or an AM part; I feel I get further with AM corporate than if an indy did the work. There was a thread on an oil filter imploding and it was because he had the work done at a dealer AM replaced the engine.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:53 PM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
TI had a 2009 V8Vantage with a sportshift and now have a 2008 V8Vantage with a 6spd manual. I do my own maintenance and get my parts from Rich at reppants. He is very knowledgeable and his on line videos show you how to do most of the maintenance by your self. These cars are very well built and they are very reliable. I haven’t had any problems with mine. If you ever have a problem the members of this forum will be of a great help. They are an absolute blast to drive and have to be some of the most beautiful cars ever designed.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:46 PM
DonRW2007 is an unknown quantity at this point
My experience

2008 V8V here, manual. Purchased in June of 2018 with about 34K miles and put about 2500 miles on it since. ”Daily driver” though that’s about 15 miles a day average plus longer trips on weekends, etc. I had some decent service records come with the car, but being **** decided to change every fluid as a preventative maintenance reset. Oil, gearbox, power steering, brakes, clutch, antifreeze. Also high performance air filters and air box delete mod. And a once-over on general mechanics. Bought all parts and fluids from Redpants, and had a local Indy (with a trained AM mechanic) do the maintenance at ~$125/hr. I’m sure any competent mechanic could do this work - even me if I wasn’t lazy and had a decent way to lift the car. Labor was about $1000. Can produce receipts for parts, etc. but probably less than $600 and much more that yearly service items.

Hope this helps. Routine maintenance on these cars is reasonable IMO for an “exotic.” Reliability scores high for me. Clutch replacement, etc. is expensive but shouldn’t be as much of a concern for a manual transmission.

As with any high-end foreign car, you need to remember that parts and maintenance don’t depreciate linearly with the car... you’re still going to pay substantially to maintain.

DRW

Old 12-17-2018, 07:05 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi
There was a thread on an oil filter imploding and it was because he had the work done at a dealer AM replaced the engine.
Yes, I'm happy to pay the dealer to do the service, it was much cheaper than the $44,000 for the engine

Get the Guide to Gaydon era Astons, it tells you what the service regimen is for the yearly, every other, and the 50 or 60, Get the guide anyway just because it will tell you every change made by year in one concise chapter. Best money you'll ever spend on anything Aston

http://www.astonmartinreview.co.uk/

Old 12-17-2018, 09:44 PM
willin58 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Vettel-ish
Also my local dealership is quoting me 1800 for annual service. (every 10k miles). Are you seeing the same. I live in WI and the car would most likely have to go to Chicago for service
I live in SE WI and have Al at GT Motorsports do all the maintenance on my '07 DB9. I supply parts/fluids, he charges labor. I just had an oil change, coolant flush and diff oil swap done for $237 + parts cost (oil, filter, Motul coolant, Motul LSD diff oil).

He mostly works on Ferraris/Lambos/Alfas (I.e. Italian), but has experience w/ AM as well. Does a great job and might be in the market soon for his own V8V.

Good luck!

Old 12-17-2018, 10:53 PM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
If the performance of the 4.3 isn’t enough for you then do what I did. A set of 200 cel cats an x pipe a Quicksilver exhaust and high performance dry filters. Then a tune and my 4.3 bests the 4.7. Plenty of power and a 7700 red line. The power really comes on at 4000 rpm almost Ike a turbocharged car coming on boost. I feel blessed to be able to own such a marvelous car. It is definitely a keeper. It brings a smile to my face every time I see it or drive it. The old saying “ If you don’t turn and look back at your car after you park it, then you bought the wrong car”. Hold out for the car that is what you really want. It may take awhile but the search is fun. Enjoy the hunt.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by willin58
I live in SE WI and have Al at GT Motorsports do all the maintenance on my '07 DB9. I supply parts/fluids, he charges labor. I just had an oil change, coolant flush and diff oil swap done for $237 + parts cost (oil, filter, Motul coolant, Motul LSD diff oil).

He mostly works on Ferraris/Lambos/Alfas (I.e. Italian), but has experience w/ AM as well. Does a great job and might be in the market soon for his own V8V.

Good luck!
I live in Ixonia. Where is GT Motorsports? I know of Reina international on Capital Drive. Wonder if they do work on them. Don's see many Astons around here. I will keep my eye out for a DB9

Great feedback folks. Thank you very much! Very excited to go on the hunt for one.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:54 AM
willin58 is an unknown quantity at this point
GT Motorsports is in Pewaukee, just west of Hwy 16 on Capitol Dr. Should be less than a 30 min drive from Ixonia. http://www.gt-motorsports.net/

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: V8V 6Speed Reliability