Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Where do you buy tires for your AM?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 02:38 AM
lovingit is on a distinguished road
Where do you buy tires for your AM?

I usually get my tires for my other car at America’s Tire. After reading what happened to the owner and his experience with the bent frame from the tire shop, and also all the unique jack points that the Vantage has, especially in the rear part of the car, I’m not sure if America’s Tire would be suitable. I understand some members sell specific designed pucks that are made for jacking up the AM cars, but not sure if the price justifies for new tires that are changed maybe once every few years. America’s Tire’s jack pads, that lift up the entire side of the car between the tires on both sides, should be ok but I’m not 100% sure. I’d also be paranoid on them handling the wheels with cars.

Where do you you guys get new tires and have you had a good experience?

Old 01-06-2019, 03:52 AM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Without knowing where you're located, I don't know if I can provide any local suggestions.

You could have your tires changed at the dealer. There's also the option of taking the wheels off and bringing them to a tire shop (my method). I have posted a method of making an inexpensive urethane jack pad, you could make four of these and provide them to the tire shop while also giving instructions on how to jack up the car. Or, the you could just show the shop the car's jacking points and insist that they only use these points.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...jack-pads.html

I would expect any reputable tire shop should be able to do the tires on our cars without damaging both the tires and car if they sell tires of the appropriate size.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:45 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Take painters tape and "mark" the lift points and tell them you have done so. I personally will not use Americas tire or similar places. Find a tire shop that actually works on higher end or do it yourself at home, take the wheels in. Modern tire machines will not damage your wheels. Where are you in SoCal. I know a few shops.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:45 AM
I am in orange county in so Cal. Irvine Area.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:51 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Grand Prix tire in Costa Mesa

Old 01-06-2019, 11:16 AM
cuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond repute
I bought at tirerack, shipped to dealer and they installed them. Got balancing and alignment done by the dealer. Tech did an awesome job. Very pleased with his work.

Old 01-06-2019, 12:04 PM
programmatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cuddapah
I bought at tirerack, shipped to dealer and they installed them. Got balancing and alignment done by the dealer. Tech did an awesome job. Very pleased with his work.
Same here. I usually price out the tires I want from TireRack and then show the quote to the dealer. Usually they can match the price or be within $20 or so in which case I buy the tires from them. I've only had to order from TireRack once and have the tires drop shipped to the dealer. I get the tires mounted and balanced by the dealer.

Old 01-06-2019, 12:15 PM
What do the dealer charge to mount and balance? About the same as any other tire store?

Old 01-06-2019, 02:06 PM
I only use tire rack, its awesome that they have free shipping now, and tax free to California. That offsets the install price.

Old 01-06-2019, 04:30 PM
DonRW2007 is an unknown quantity at this point
No reason to use any place but Tire Rack, IMO (unless local shop will honor quoted internet price). Bought new tires in past six months for an AM and a Maserati, and got free two-year road hazard warranty. Had them mounted at (wait for it) - Meineke! Talk to the shop/mechanic and/or watch them install regarding lift points. This ain’t rocket science.

Old 01-07-2019, 01:04 AM
Originally Posted by J doubleU
Grand Prix tire in Costa Mesa
So do you usually just order on Tire Rack, ship to Grand Prix and then have them balance and install? I didn’t know it’s tax free to CA. I used to just have America’s Tire match online prices but they charge tax on top of the online price that they match. So even owners that have the AM dealers match Tire Rack’s prices and do the install, you’re still paying taxes.

Any reason you recommend these guys over America’s Tire?

Last edited by lovingit; 01-07-2019 at 01:15 AM.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:07 AM
Originally Posted by DonRW2007
No reason to use any place but Tire Rack, IMO (unless local shop will honor quoted internet price). Bought new tires in past six months for an AM and a Maserati, and got free two-year road hazard warranty. Had them mounted at (wait for it) - Meineke! Talk to the shop/mechanic and/or watch them install regarding lift points. This ain’t rocket science.
I use America’s Tire because they have a lot of stores and they will honor any online prices. I used to go to Costco but found that it was easier to get an appointment for balance and rotation at America’s Tire. With the AM, since it is a staggered setup, I don’t think I will be rotating at all. Although some owners said you technically could rotate the front two and the rear two.....assuming they are not directional.

looking at Tire Rack, there are two variations of Michelin Tires. Pilot Sport 4s and the Pilot Sport Cup 2 (more expensive). The Pilot Sport 4s has a UTQG rating of 300 AA A while the Pilot Sport Cup 2 has a 180 AA A. Seems like the cheaper 4s will last longer? Which ones have you guys purchased?

Last edited by lovingit; 01-07-2019 at 01:37 AM.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:40 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
I've been going to the local AM dealer. They'll match TireRack prices. They tend to have some tires in stock and it gives me a reason to checkout the showroom. I have Sullivan Tire (regional New England chain) with good results.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:37 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I use my local Aston dealer - they will match anyone else prices - if I ask! Of course they got me by the gonads when the annual service comes up.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:08 PM
If dealer matches Tire Rack prices, you still have to pay sales tax even if AM dealer matches prices. So why not buy directly on Tire Rack, pay no sales tax, and ship to AM dealer to install and mount? I figure $1200 tires would be roughly $100 you save on not paying sales tax.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Where do you buy tires for your AM?