996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Will two of these mufflers work on my 996 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 11:57 AM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
Will two of these mufflers work on my 996 Turbo?

Any experience with the dynomax 17676 mufflers? I have straight pipes with 200 cell cats right now and need to sell my car, so I need it to quiet down. It will have to pass emissions, so I will have to delete my EPL tune. I have a possible buyer, but he is older and does not want the loudness. Here is the link: Will it allow enough air flow and will 2 of these fit in my 996 Turbo? Thanks for any input.

http://www.dynomax.com/super-turbo-o...same-side.html

http://www.dynomax.com/super-turbo-o...same-side.html

Old 01-09-2019, 12:10 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
I have a similar setup made with a single one of their X mufflers. They are staight through with some packing, pretty loud still. I'd just get a stock exhaust or find a new buyer with different expectations.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:19 PM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
I found an 84 911 Turbo running one of these at the laguna seca track to meet noise requirements and it sounded great. Wondering if it would be fine on my 996 Turbo with 2? Thanks again for any info or input.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:48 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
If you can get them to fit they will work. Mine hangs down a bit. Two of those might be too wide, you would have to measure. Mine is 3 inch piping so 2.5 might fit better. It does sound good, moderate volume I would say.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:10 PM
Do you have cats? if so what cell?

Old 01-09-2019, 01:25 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Have you tried finding someone who has removed the factory exhaust for aftermarket and has the factory exhaust available?

Or explore getting the necessary hardware from a salvage business. Don't know what's available where you are in AZ, but Parts Heaven in Hayward, CA might have what you need.You can check online or give the business a call. Oklahoma Foreign in Oklahoma City, OK is another business I know of that might carry what you need.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:36 PM
No cats on mine.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:51 PM
The factory exhaust was way too heavy and restrictive. That would be my last choice if possible. The difference from factory Boysen to straight pipes was huge for performance and much much lighter. I probably should have kept it for just in case, but I just hated it. I also was expecting to keep this car as long as I live. I love it, but medical expenses and inability to work is killing me financially. I treated severe trauma patients for 28 years and now have PTSD. It sux! I'd never recommend working in the medical profession these days. It's really sad what it's turned into in the USA. It kills me to think of this car being gone. It is so perfect for what I like. Bummed....

Old 01-09-2019, 02:23 PM
I think you'd wind up building something that the new buyer may not like and with fab costs and all you'd be in the same ballpark as just getting a stock exhaust put back on so why not just do that?

Old 01-09-2019, 03:51 PM
Blk04996tt is an unknown quantity at this point
Would suggest checking rennlist marketplace. Two days ago someone from Ca. posted a 996 tt stock exhaust for $550. OBO. It's still for sale. This is probably the better option especially if the new owner may prefers quiet.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:18 PM
Stebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond repute
Check out the Magnaflow 12599 or 12568. (3" or 2.5" your choice)

Setup like this but arranged vertically, ignoring the outer pipes. Just kinda copy the x part.

I would probably try this if I didn't already buy a $3k aftermarket one.
I thought of it too late.

FYI the 12599 (3") is $146 on JEGS.com with free shipping.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20190109_221604.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	531616   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190109_223059.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	531617  

Last edited by Stebo; 01-09-2019 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:17 PM
Yep thats what I did.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:48 PM
Stebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by brnrdtns
Yep thats what I did.
Did you use magnaflow? Looked like above you used whatever brand the OP was asking about...

I dont know if its brainwashing from velocity channel, or what, but I trust the magnaflow name bc I've seen Chip Foose use em a million times on Overhaulin'...

I'd love to hear what it would sound like on the 996tt.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:18 AM
Originally Posted by Stebo
Did you use magnaflow? Looked like above you used whatever brand the OP was asking about...

I dont know if its brainwashing from velocity channel, or what, but I trust the magnaflow name bc I've seen Chip Foose use em a million times on Overhaulin'...

I'd love to hear what it would sound like on the 996tt.
I just checked and it's a Magnaflow 3 inch. It sounds deep.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:46 AM
That is really nice. Probably exactly what I'd prefer Stebo. The welding looks a bit tough. What was the labor cost?

I'm really thinking I'm gonna keep this car if at all possible. I have several collectable guitars I could sell and keep the car. It is really loud with straight pipes, so I'll probably still put a muffler on her. I think it's a sign to keep her as my collector car ins. co. just sent me an update for this year and upped my value to $70500 on the coverage just yesterday with no deductible. Haha. I believe in "signs" haha. I really love this gem. HRE custom wheels, lowered, not a rock chip or mark anywhere and I love AWD! Just under 550HP which is just fine for me. My 300ZX has just under 600 RWHP, but the Porsche feels faster, stops faster and grips and accelerates wonderfully. The Z is super fast too, but burns out in 1-3 gears quite a bit. Lots of burning rubber and really easy to drift. I can't race them because of the collector car ins., but I think my 996 is faster. People are constantly videoing me in the Porsche. The Z is a show car and gets almost as much attention, but I love my Porsche more than anything. Thanks for the info guys! I love that setup Stebo. I'm sold on that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Will two of these mufflers work on my 996 Turbo?