Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Disconnect Battery - Airbag removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 12:31 PM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Disconnect Battery - Airbag removal

Hi all to you gurus... Need to take out my steering wheel airbag... Looked at Rich's (Redpants.lol) video and its easy enough... Question about battery disconnect... Is is OK to disconnect (Neg cable) without any side effects such as redoing misfires, etc... or is it best to use battery disconnect switch, disconnect battery and use battery conditioner, etc.

Thanks

Old 02-17-2019, 01:21 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
You need to disconnect the negative terminal for airbag removal, otherwise you will have codes that need cleared. And yes, you will need misfires relearned, windows seats, mirrors and clock if your pre 2011.

Old 02-17-2019, 03:42 PM
Graze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to all
There is a simple trick to doing this to ensure you dont have codes to clear

disconnect battery, do wheel, airbag removal replace etc.

reconnect battery

turn ignition to position 1 - DO NOT TURN CAR ON!

leave in position 1 for at least 15 seconds so the car can run through simple diagnostics to confirm to itself that the battery is ok & all systems are "good"

turn off

remove key (maybe not 100% necessary)
re-insert key, turn to position 1, then turn on

should re start with no codes

I know this works on an 07 V8V - believe it works with later cars with Bosch ECU also
Graeme

Old 02-18-2019, 08:37 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
if you disconnect your battery you will have to do a misfires relearned as J doubleU said, the rest of the stuff is hit and miss as I store my car for the winter and always disconnect my battery and in the spring it is always different what needs to be reset.

Old 02-18-2019, 03:15 PM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Graze
There is a simple trick to doing this to ensure you dont have codes to clear

disconnect battery, do wheel, airbag removal replace etc.

reconnect battery

turn ignition to position 1 - DO NOT TURN CAR ON!

leave in position 1 for at least 15 seconds so the car can run through simple diagnostics to confirm to itself that the battery is ok & all systems are "good"

turn off

remove key (maybe not 100% necessary)
re-insert key, turn to position 1, then turn on

should re start with no codes

I know this works on an 07 V8V - believe it works with later cars with Bosch ECU also
Graeme
if you have foldable mirrors on the 2007 the above will not help. You must pay a visit to the dealer.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:41 PM
Graze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to all
Not true I'm afraid

my mirrors still work perfectly after the above procedure

Graeme