Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Battery Changed Still Get Low Battery+electronics not working.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 08:29 PM
08gtspeed is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Battery Changed Still Get Low Battery+electronics not working.

Hey guys!

I recently purchased a 2008 Bentley Continental GT Speed and a few days later I got a low battery warning please start engine warning. I thought okay it must have been standing for a while waiting to be sold at the dealer. I followed the instructions posted on this forum and changed both rear batteries. However, I am still getting the same warning every time I start the car with the new Interstate batteries. Also, after I changed the batteries the seat adjustment on both sides stopped working, volume control does not work, telescopic steering stopped working and can't even adjust the side mirrors.

The car starts fine, runs fine but every time I start it up the clock resets and the profile changes I made get reset as well. I don't know if this helps but the key only works after I get out of the car to lock or unlock. Otherwise, I have to open the vehicle manually and when I do lock it using the key it the alarm goes off for about 10-20 seconds and then turns off.

I have been doing a lot of searching but unable to find an answer to this issue if anyone has already made a post about this I apologize and hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Thank You!

Old 02-18-2019, 06:25 AM
Samhain is on a distinguished road
Despite the new batteries it sounds like a weak LH battery to me.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:40 AM
BentleyF will become famous soon enough
i agree the left battery is bad..

Old 02-18-2019, 08:40 AM
Lightbulb Interstate MTP-49-H8

Thank you for your replies!

The battery I installed is an Interstate MTP-49-H8 with 730CCA and 910 cranking amps (https://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/mtp-49-h8). I will try getting a more powerful battery and see how it goes.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:24 AM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Hello,
It's not the power of the battery. They discharge the same amount "12v", some have more storage. Check your terminals for cleanliness and tightness, right and left side batteries.

Perhaps a mickeyed battery? By the way the book recommends an AGM battery. However that difference won't affect the current problem.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:49 PM
Samhain is on a distinguished road
Sometimes the batteries are bad when you get them. And these cars are very sensitive to bad LH batteries. Last 'new' OEM battery I got for my Phaeton at the dealer lasted less than a year.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:37 AM
Engine is an unknown quantity at this point
Bit late to the party, but what spec is your vehicle, there are a few naughty systems in Bentley's that need periodically resetting otherwise they can continue to drain battery (even after a power disconnect)

Old 05-16-2019, 03:03 PM
Hey! thank you guys for helping out with the issue. I was able to get the battery changed from the dealer and the car works perfect, I got battery tenders and usually attach them when the car will be sitting for more than a day or two.

However sometimes I still get the low battery sign once in a while although there are no other effects or warnings once I start the car, it only comes on when the ignition is on.

The car is 2008 GT Speed I don't think there is any other spec or special edition- but I could be wrong about that.

Old 05-16-2019, 03:53 PM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
There is a low battery warning when the remote key needs a new battery. Probably not the case but worth a check.

Old 10-27-2022, 02:56 PM
kma
kma is an unknown quantity at this point
New auxiliary battery won't allow the car start hold, "pressure memory unaviliable"

My 2009 Bentley Continential GT's auxiliary bettery has been deemed bad after a long term non-use of the car. All the instrument signals are massed up when the car starts. I managed to change to a new bettery and checked both betteries to confirm their good quality (> 12V and 70% charged to start). But the car would go dead after it was first started, the error message read "pressure memory unavailable." So I put back the old auxiliary battery and the car can start and hold. Of course, I am back to old messed up signals. I talked to Bentley Service and others, they all said all electronics should reset after a new battery is put in and drive the car 5-10 minutes (only if II can start the car with the new battery).

Help! Can someone help me for the problem I have. I don't have a dealer nearby at all, all other stores don't want to touch the Bentley issues.

Thanks!

Old 10-27-2022, 09:53 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kma
My 2009 Bentley Continential GT's auxiliary bettery has been deemed bad after a long term non-use of the car. All the instrument signals are massed up when the car starts. I managed to change to a new bettery and checked both betteries to confirm their good quality (> 12V and 70% charged to start). But the car would go dead after it was first started, the error message read "pressure memory unavailable." So I put back the old auxiliary battery and the car can start and hold. Of course, I am back to old messed up signals. I talked to Bentley Service and others, they all said all electronics should reset after a new battery is put in and drive the car 5-10 minutes (only if II can start the car with the new battery).

Help! Can someone help me for the problem I have. I don't have a dealer nearby at all, all other stores don't want to touch the Bentley issues.

Thanks!
​​​​​​Hello @kma ,
First, to clear up any confusion, there is no auxiliary battery, as in auxiliary meaning standby as some seem to think, there is the left side main aka house battery, and the right side starter battery, both batteries should be at 13.1 or so new, and should have a full charge, not 70%, so I suggest taking the new battery back to where you purchased it, and have it charged and load tested, also check the date on the new battery, it could have been sitting on the shelf for a while, or even on the concrete floor, I had this not to long ago on another vehicle, I took an Uber to a parts store to get a new battery, as when I walked out of work one night it was dead, well, I Uber back and install it, and nothing, the battery was almost a year or so old sitting on the shelf, I had to Uber back again and get a fresh one, and when I got there the new battery was sitting on the concrete floor, I said, give the newest one you have on the shelf, I got one about a month old, the employee didn't know that you couldn't store batteries on the concrete floor...

As far as the message and the icon faults, could you take a picture, as some will go off in just a few hundred feet of driving.

Johnny

Old 10-27-2022, 10:16 PM
kma
Johnny,

Thanks for all the good advices. Yes, I will check both batteries with the store. I did charge both old batteries to 100% at home but the error signals still remained when I started the car (and car ran with a messed up panel). This is why I changed the left battery to a new one.

With the new left battery ( > 12.7 V as the store told me) , car did start initially but failed to maintain in 5 seconds and gave the error message of "no pressure memory." But I put back the "bad" old left battery, car started fine and stayed so I concluded it may not be the power or charge issues but the memory issues. But Bentley people told me that the car should reset itself after I drive the new battery 5-10 minutes on the road.

Should I use a memory saver before I changed the battery? Should I get a new starter battery too?

Thanks too take time to respond my stupid questions.

Old 10-27-2022, 11:08 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello @kma ,
It is strange that putting back in the old house battery allows the vehicle to keep running, that leads me to believe that the new house battery is shorted, or extremely low in power, as far as the memory saver, during my GT rebuild I had the batteries disconnected and connected so many times I lost count, the only thing that gets fouled up every time is the windows stop points, and that's a very simple reset by operating each window in a certain order, the seats memory sometimes, soft close doors might take 2 opening and closing to reset, if at all, trunk lid may get out of sync, only happened once for me, but 2 times of operation sets it right, so the memory thing is not such a big deal, and my 05 GT electronics range from 2006- 2011, never an issue, hell even the Infotainment head maintains my information (name).
If you could post a picture of the Instrument cluster it would help, also, do you have Ross-Tech VCDS, or VAS 5054 for scanning ?

Edit: Just to note, the message you received is strange, and I do not think that it is memory of the vehicle like you may be thinking, I think it may have to do with the tire pressure monitoring system, I have never seen it, maybe someone else here could chime in if they have had this message before.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-pictures.html

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 10-27-2022 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Add information
Old 10-27-2022, 11:20 PM
kma
Sounds reasonable. I will get a new house battery tested in the shop before I put it in. If I get the same message I will post a picture of it. It is strange that the start will die after few seconds. Thanks again.

Old 10-29-2022, 09:41 AM
kma
Johnny,

Finally the new house battery works.
I did follow your suggestions to verify both the start and new house batteries are good in voltage and % charged by the store. Then, I read the comments from the youtube vedio of replacing bentley (saw your comment). First, I don't need to loosen many ***** as suggested by the vedio. Second, probablly the reason it didn't work the first time, I need to leave the key in ignation before I put in the new battery (not mentioned in the vedio). After that, it works. I feel so frustrated that I spent two weeks to try to change a battery. Now, the only thing left is that the amplifer does not work -- maybe due to the last jump on the car battery.

How to figure out if it is the fuse is bad or the amplifier is bad (> $7000 dealer cost). Hope someone can point me to figure this out. Thanks guys!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Battery Changed Still Get Low Battery+electronics not working.