Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Ventillated Seats in an 07 Vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 06:59 AM
TR-Spider is on a distinguished road
Ventillated Seats in an 07 Vantage

Another "small" project...

Last year, when it got summer, I decided I could not live with the leather seats in my Vantage - they were just too sweaty, even on short drives.

So I installed a seat ventillation...
I hired a saddler to do the changes on the surface, to keep the quality of the cabin high.

Myself I did the tech stuff underneath:
- selecting blowers (radials for high pressure drop)
- decided where to put them
- made channels to get the air distributed
- and did all the installations..

Due to the constraints given by the seat design, the job was tougher than expected...
thats where the 2 blowers finally sit:
in the upright

underneath the bottom:

To distribute the air (essential for comfort) the air now enters a chamber in the back of the foam.
Inside the chamber there's a special spacer net/grid, allowing for air distribution across.

from there, lots of holes feed the air to the front side of the foam

The re-fitting of the heating was quite tedious...

However, thats all you see now (air entry in the backrest with a net):

and the button to switch it on (the circle illuminates blue as indicator...):

and of course one sees the front,
where we kept the the original design language, just now with perforated alcantara.

Also I installed a 3-stage adjuster on the lower end of the seat (aside the handbreak lever), where the airflow can be regulated.
Basically one needs 2 possibilities, strong flow for cooling when you enter the car, and a very small flow for long journeys.
It's quite amazing, how little of airflow is sufficient to avoid this uncomfortable humid environment, which makes one sweat otherwise.

As one can imagine, it was lot's of work.
Was it worth it? Definitely yes!
Makes me really looking ahead to the next nice warm summer...

Thomas

Last edited by TR-Spider; 02-21-2019 at 07:08 AM.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:05 AM
lenny1974 is on a distinguished road
That's an awesome little project.

Nice neat job !!

Old 02-21-2019, 07:28 AM
Dalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to behold
Awesome!

Old 02-21-2019, 09:59 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Very nice indeed, thanks for sharing

Old 02-21-2019, 10:13 AM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
EXCELLENT project! You could certainly market that here in south FL.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:54 AM
got one will become famous soon enough
Love this! I wonder if someone could take what you have done and replicate easily enough???

Old 02-21-2019, 12:05 PM
Vantage_007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Awesome. Did your seats originally have that Alcantara-like material or were they full leather?

Old 02-21-2019, 12:06 PM
porkchopious is on a distinguished road
Well done! You could have just used the seat "heater" switch since that function essentially doesn't work, at least on my Vantage...

Old 02-21-2019, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the kind words.

EXCELLENT project! You could certainly market that here in south FL.
I think to market something like that is difficult, as it will be rather expensive if done properly.
There is a considerable amount of engineering necessary to generate a solution, and the solution will be different for different seats in different cars.
I doubt one finds many customers willing to pay you for the real hours...

Love this! I wonder if someone could take what you have done and replicate easily enough???
Any talented saddler should be able to do something similar (and I mean a skilled craftsman/artisan, not some guy who puts prefabricated stuff over old seats).
Working on the basis of my pictures will give quite some advantage - I did not know how the seats look underneath when I started...

Old 02-21-2019, 12:19 PM
W126C will become famous soon enough
Very impressive Thomas, been needed for some time now. It would be great to see a kit put together.

Regards,

Old 02-21-2019, 12:23 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Nice job, that is a big upgrade on your early Vantage. You could probably sell a kit to other people as well.
Ron

Old 02-21-2019, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by Vantage_007
Awesome. Did your seats originally have that Alcantara-like material or were they full leather?
They were full leather.

Originally Posted by porkchopious
Well done! You could have just used the seat "heater" switch since that function essentially doesn't work, at least on my Vantage...
...my heating still works - on both stages...

On a funny sidenote, when dismantling the seats we discovered that the botton heating is quite a ****-up (design fault).
The heating sheet doess not really fit the seat, which is why the heating extends around the front corner below ones knees all the way down where never any leg touches,
and as countereffect doesnt heat ones bum (left hand side gap)...
Thermal image of how the heat wire is positioned on the staock seat:

Last edited by TR-Spider; 02-21-2019 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:50 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Were ventilated seats ever offered as a factory option on the Vantage? The Rapide is the only one I normally see has them. They don't work that good on the Rapide. I feel the motor spinning more than I feel the cooling. On our Jag, the cooling nearly pushes you off the seat!

Old 02-24-2019, 03:20 AM
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi
The Rapide is the only one I normally see has them. They don't work that good on the Rapide. I feel the motor spinning more than I feel the cooling. On our Jag, the cooling nearly pushes you off the seat!
That's surely the difference between a good design and a poor one.
A seat ventillation is a rather complex engineering task to solve - which makes it an expensive development (and also, but to a lesser degree, an expensive installation).

Old 02-27-2019, 06:38 AM
Aston502 will become famous soon enough
Impressive