Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Desperate measures-not a good news for aston martin stock.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 08:25 PM
007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about
Desperate measures-not a good news for aston martin stock.

I guess numbers don't lie.
Aston Martin is trying hard to get rid off new Vantages. My local dealer sends me email every week now. with lease offers,. latest one is " drive the all New Aston Martin Vantage with no payments due for the first 90 days" plus 0 Down. And Laura Shwabb, president of Aston Martin America, send out email with video message-Come & test drive new Vantage & receive new racing jacket......
I thought they're all sold out for year,bs........ Most Aston Martin dealers have plenty of Vantages & at least one or more pre-owned new generation vantage...

Old 02-22-2019, 11:09 PM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
Wonder if it's has anything to do with its DNA?
locally it's being seen as a Mercedes with a body kit, I was at Lamborghini CT last week ( our Ducati workshop is in the same building) and the salesman who sells Lamborghini was down talking the new Aston to a prospective client.

Old 02-23-2019, 12:08 AM
lovingit is on a distinguished road
I haven’t driven it but when I talked to the techs at my dealer, they said it drives better than the old Vantages in every single way. Probably just marketing. I’m sure it’s a lot faster and maybe it handles better. But no Mercedes engine for me.

Old 02-23-2019, 12:53 AM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by lovingit
I haven’t driven it but when I talked to the techs at my dealer, they said it drives better than the old Vantages in every single way. Probably just marketing. I’m sure it’s a lot faster and maybe it handles better. But no Mercedes engine for me.
I'm sure it's better in every way after all its new technology
I am keen on one make no mistake, but I had a bad hair day with my local dealer on a separate issue a while back and I need to work with that.
the merc power unit is superb one cannot deny this, but I understand the mindset. It's not an Aston
a few years ago locally in SA Sang Yong launched a range of Korean vehicles here and the slogan was "powered by Mercedes Benz" these cars had IIRC a Merc diesel power plant.

Sang Yong nerver really took off, now let's look at another premium brand Land Rover, in the smaller range have Peugoet motor I can't even spell that French thing yet the small range sold very well and in fact helped the brand gain traction

I think Aston have possibly lost a big gamble on taking a more economical route to find a suitable power plant for the best seller, but forgot that the vantage loyalists are Aston loyalists and not Porsche or Lamborghini followers, I for one could add an Italian car ( Ferrari,Lamborghini) to my collection and not blink an eye....but I would not want to be seen in one.
nothing wrong with them they are just loud and over the top and in general aston drivers are a bit more conservative and I think all we want is just a plain hand built new model pure Aston Martin
i may be wrong ...
something to do with tradition ?

Old 02-23-2019, 01:34 AM
TR-Spider is on a distinguished road
When I had my "old" 07 Vantage at the dealer recently, I took some time and really looked at the new Vantage.
It just didn't work for me - what I found worse than the outside apperance was the cabin.
Where the old Vantage is pure class and elegance inside, the new cabin is fuzzy, loud and somewhat cheap.
A missed opportunity in my view - but what do I know about selling cars...

Old 02-23-2019, 06:25 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by lovingit
I haven’t driven it but when I talked to the techs at my dealer, they said it drives better than the old Vantages in every single way.
Sure it is. The Corvette is faster than the old Vantage in every way and cost 1/3 the price. The point is that driving a Vantage (or any Aston Martin) has never been about raw speed and of handling. It’s always been about presence. Essentially the unmistakable brilliance of the design.

Old 02-23-2019, 07:53 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
What's the racing jacket look like?

Old 02-23-2019, 08:47 AM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
I doubt this has anything to do with where the engine came from. A Mercedes engine is certainly a more exotic starting point than either of the Ford/Jaguar units that the V12 and V8 were based on. Heck, Mercedes has engines in $1.5M exotics.

I believe that the market for sports cars has shrunk to the point where low range exotics like the Vantage now have to compete with high end sports cars like the 911 and the Merc GT. And at half the price, the vast majority of interested customers will go to the Germans. Aston can't hide at an over inflated price point and claim exclusivity because just above them are the big boys in McLaren and Ferrari, who are offering truly exotic products and true exclusivity. In addition, I believe that what few sports car customers there are left no longer have tolerance for the personality of a British car that makes them so great. The Germans have sucked all the quirkiness and IMO fun out of their cars and the public have responded by buying A LOT of them. Aston sucks the personality out of their car and prices it significantly higher than their competition and what is happening was obvious.

Now, the SUV market is HUGE and in the complete opposite situation. Everyone and their rich uncle wants something special in that market and diversity seems to be very successful. When the SUV comes out, it will be the "car that saved Aston Martin" and everyone will rejoice. And a little part of us all will have died

Old 02-23-2019, 09:11 AM
DoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of light
Anyone know how much off sticker dealers are willing to go? Anything well below invoice maybe?

Old 02-23-2019, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by blue2000s
I doubt this has anything to do with where the engine came from. A Mercedes engine is certainly a more exotic starting point than either of the Ford/Jaguar units that the V12 and V8 were based on. Heck, Mercedes has engines in $1.5M exotics.

I believe that the market for sports cars has shrunk to the point where low range exotics like the Vantage now have to compete with high end sports cars like the 911 and the Merc GT. And at half the price, the vast majority of interested customers will go to the Germans. Aston can't hide at an over inflated price point and claim exclusivity because just above them are the big boys in McLaren and Ferrari, who are offering truly exotic products and true exclusivity. In addition, I believe that what few sports car customers there are left no longer have tolerance for the personality of a British car that makes them so great. The Germans have sucked all the quirkiness and IMO fun out of their cars and the public have responded by buying A LOT of them. Aston sucks the personality out of their car and prices it significantly higher than their competition and what is happening was obvious.

Now, the SUV market is HUGE and in the complete opposite situation. Everyone and their rich uncle wants something special in that market and diversity seems to be very successful. When the SUV comes out, it will be the "car that saved Aston Martin" and everyone will rejoice. And a little part of us all will have died
I love Aston Martin the brand the History and and and...but I will not drive a Aston SUV sorry not for me after all there is Range Rover

Old 02-23-2019, 10:09 AM
A Mercedes engine is certainly a more exotic starting point than either of the Ford/Jaguar units that the V12 and V8 were based on. Heck, Mercedes has engines in $1.5M exotics.

This is a ford ....just saying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg6L_7qLIEQ

Old 02-23-2019, 11:02 AM
Scottiejo is on a distinguished road
I've seen the new Vantage a few times now. Last weekend I was at a dealership (won't mention which one) to get a software update and I was surprised to see so much inventory. I've never seen so many new Aston's just sitting on the lot, most were the new Vantage. Honestly, I don't hate it, but it's not a replacement for my current Vantage. Maybe...maybe I would get one as an additional car but that makes no sense really. I am disappointed overall and wish they would have considered their fan base before making such a drastic change.

Old 02-23-2019, 11:51 AM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
I saw the email... dismissed it because I had already driven the new Vantage, and didn't notice that they're now giving away jackets. I'll let you know how the new jacket is when I stop in next week for another test drive.

Old 02-23-2019, 03:49 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
If I wanted an AMG motor, I'd buy an AMG. Not having an Aston motor is a BIG deal to a lot of us. Just like the new Supra; no one will want one of those with a BMW six in it, no matter how good they might be. A Supra needs a Toyota 6 just like a Vantage needs an AM unit.

Old 02-23-2019, 04:25 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
They had a lock on the market with the only gentleman's sporstcar now they are competing with the bad boy racer crowd. That was an idiot move on Astons part. The interiors and exteriors are no longer elegant - they destroyed their own market. And - why buy a $200K V8 AMG when you get the same if not better for $150K or less?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Desperate measures-not a good news for aston martin stock.