Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Which ODB scanner for '05 GT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 05:23 PM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
British has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud of
Which ODB scanner for '05 GT?

Still waiting for the car to get shipped, you guys helped source the batteries I'm switching out and the radio upgrade. I know I need an ODB scanner, and now it's time to ask for more advice. Do I want one that plugs into my computer? Or just a handheld one? What do you guys use? I've searched the forums and didn't see a consensus. I don't plan on doing much work on my own, but I do want to stay on top of stuff so when I do get it serviced, I don't end up getting myself, um, "serviced" too.

Any suggestions welcome.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:25 PM
Samhain is on a distinguished road
One of these interfaces with the free VCDS software:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/interfaces.php

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 03-16-2019 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:40 PM
Beo
Beo is an unknown quantity at this point
Much the same question as British above, with the exception being that I plan on being very hands on with my 05 BCGT.
In regards to the kind reply by Samhain above, does this scanner come pre-loaded with software suitable for the said vehicle ?
And also, which would be the better option ? HEX-V2 or HEX-NET ? Any other recommendations for diagnostic scanners ?

Many thanks in advance,

Beo…...

Old 03-16-2019, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Beo
Much the same question as British above, with the exception being that I plan on being very hands on with my 05 BCGT.
In regards to the kind reply by Samhain above, does this scanner come pre-loaded with software suitable for the said vehicle ?
And also, which would be the better option ? HEX-V2 or HEX-NET ? Any other recommendations for diagnostic scanners ?

Many thanks in advance,

Beo…...
Hi - AFAIK there is no functional difference between the two HEX products - it's solely a difference of how many vehicles can be registered to the software (but you can pay to add new users if needed). The $199 HEX-V2 that I have can be registered to 3 cars. That's a little misleading as you can scan unlimited cars, but if you want to make coding adjustments it gets registered to the VIN of each vehicle.

The software gets downloaded free from the ROSS website. I run mine from a windows laptop. Plug into the OBD port and the other end is a USB connection to the laptop. Run the software from the laptop and you're all set.

I'm only familiar with this one product but all the Phaeton owners (like me) who work on their cars (not me) use it. Of course also works on my 2005 Conti GT.

The software works with lots of diff VAG models over lots of years, your 2005 B included.

Last edited by Samhain; 03-16-2019 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:36 PM
Randy V is on a distinguished road
This FIXD scanner seems to be a real solution:

https://getfixd.io/blog-students-vs-...SAAEgKKJvD_BwE

Old 03-17-2019, 07:14 AM
Originally Posted by Randy V
This FIXD scanner seems to be a real solution:

https://getfixd.io/blog-students-vs-...SAAEgKKJvD_BwE
I'd be surprised if that one could communicate natively with the VAG systems or recode anything.

Old 03-17-2019, 07:19 AM
Beo
Beo is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Samhain
Hi - AFAIK there is no functional difference between the two HEX products - it's solely a difference of how many vehicles can be registered to the software (but you can pay to add new users if needed). The $199 HEX-V2 that I have can be registered to 3 cars. That's a little misleading as you can scan unlimited cars, but if you want to make coding adjustments it gets registered to the VIN of each vehicle.

The software gets downloaded free from the ROSS website. I run mine from a windows laptop. Plug into the OBD port and the other end is a USB connection to the laptop. Run the software from the laptop and you're all set.

I'm only familiar with this one product but all the Phaeton owners (like me) who work on their cars (not me) use it. Of course also works on my 2005 Conti GT.

The software works with lots of diff VAG models over lots of years, your 2005 B included.
Great info, many thanks. My daily is a Ram 1500 pick up, so its an old work horse really.
Spare laptop sitting here running Windows 7 if I remember correctly ? Although I can upgrade that if required.
Thanks again,
Beo……….

Old 03-17-2019, 07:51 AM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Ross Tech vcds is superior for deep level analysis and adaptation.

For on the fly information some folks use the Torque Pro app on an Android phone. This app requires a dongle which plugs into the OBD port and wirelessly connect to an Android phone. Don't leave home without it. This app can be also used as a heads-up display which is a nifty application.

Last edited by 1eapplebaum; 03-17-2019 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:17 AM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
British has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud of
I bought the Ross-tech scanner, but went with the corded one since I couldn't figure out the utility of a wifi connection when I'm going to be right next to, or inside of the car.

Thanks for all the advice.