Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

"Check brake lights" but lights are fine

Old 03-20-2019, 09:37 PM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
British has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud of
"Check brake lights" but lights are fine

I just took delivery of my new-to-me 2005 Bentley. First thing I noticed on startup is "check brake lights" on the dash, along with the orange light inop symbol.

But then I got out and had someone step on the brakes, the brake lights work fine.

What's this all about? Is it a code to be reset, or a common issue? Haven't seen it on the forum.

Also, the radio is not good, did these come with good sound systems? I am planning on replacing it anyway, but I wonder how much of it is the speakers. I imagine some baller could have blown out the speakers (hence the "tinny" sound) but the car is in such nice shape I would be surprised? Do I need to change out the speakers as well as the radio (Ben-hur)?

Old 03-20-2019, 10:39 PM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
British has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud of
Oops, I just figured this out. I didn't even notice that it was the third brake light that was out. I was only looking at the two tail lights.

And it was raining like crazy, I've even read all about this before I bought the car, the third light doesn't work in the rain in a whole lot of these. I suspect after it dries out, it will work. If not, I guess I got to debate doing it myself or spending $2,000.

Old 03-21-2019, 05:59 AM
Samhain is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by British
Oops, I just figured this out. I didn't even notice that it was the third brake light that was out. I was only looking at the two tail lights.

And it was raining like crazy, I've even read all about this before I bought the car, the third light doesn't work in the rain in a whole lot of these. I suspect after it dries out, it will work. If not, I guess I got to debate doing it myself or spending $2,000.
I hear it's pretty involved as the rear window has to be removed. My selling dealer took mine for the same work to Steve Foley in Northbrook IL (I think we discussed them before) prior to delivery. I think it was like $1700.00.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:02 AM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
There is a thread from (Zaos). He shows how he did the third brake light repair, saved money and did it without drama. I read it a year ago or more.

Last edited by 1eapplebaum; 03-21-2019 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:25 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Samhain
I hear it's pretty involved as the rear window has to be removed. I think it was like $1700.00.
Not so, Bentley sells the replacement light as a unit to be installed without glass removal as Zaos did in his "How To" thread linked below.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ent-howto.html

EDIT: Sorry Eapplebaum I somehow missed your comment...

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 03-21-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:50 AM
Rico.Adams is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow $2000, thats steep. I had mine replaced a couple of months ago, got a new light from eBay for £290 and got my local Bentley guy to fit it in 2 hours & charged me £100 labour ...

Old 03-21-2019, 10:56 AM
Samhain is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 1eapplebaum
There is a thread from (Zaos). He shows how he did the third brake light repair, saved money and did it without drama. I read it a year ago or more.
Yikes. You guys are braver than me.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:03 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
I had the same fault, got a new 3rd light from the dealer and performed the cut out operation of the old one. New one fits right in you just have to drop the headliner and fish the wires. A bit of sealant and your good. If you take your time anyone could do it with a little instruction. I thank it was less than $600.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:09 AM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
I just watched the video on removing the headliner, that is a ton of work and clearly opens up a lot of room to damage clips and such. He was clearly taking it off a salvage vehicle, It would have been very interesting to see it get put back together. So my question is, can I get to the wires for the third brakelight without removing the whole headliner?

Old 03-28-2019, 10:29 AM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Look back on this thread Johnny Hotspur posted Zaos's explanation of how to do the job.

Old 03-28-2019, 11:02 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
I didn't drop the whole headliner, just enough at the back to have access and enough room to solder and heat shrink the wires.

Old 03-28-2019, 06:39 PM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
Just ran the codes, this is what came back regarding the third light:

01503 - Bulb for 3rd Brake Light (M25)

009 - Open or Short to Ground

This doesn't really tell me much, but maybe you guys will have some insight? Could it be the wires?

Old 03-28-2019, 06:58 PM
Probably just a bad third brake light open circuit.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:26 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
+1, post a close up pic of your 3rd BL, you most likely will see fine cracks in the 3rd bl.......

Old 03-29-2019, 08:38 AM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
?

I'm not sure what this means? I understand "open circuit", does this imply that it might just be the wires? Or does the LED bar itself actually go kaput?

Mechanic wants to see it before ordering parts, he says he's fixed both broken wires and bad lights.

thanks again for all the replies.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: "Check brake lights" but lights are fine