997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Change oil before starting after winter storage? 997.1 TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 05:40 AM
mjgoldner is on a distinguished road
Change oil before starting after winter storage? 997.1 TT

Should I change the oil in my 997.1 TT before starting from winter storage?? Garage has been 55 degrees?

Or start warmup drive a few miles Then change the oil?

Old 03-22-2019, 06:09 AM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mjgoldner
Should I change the oil in my 997.1 TT before starting from winter storage?? Garage has been 55 degrees?

Or start warmup drive a few miles Then change the oil?
I drained mine last year after it sat all winter...garage was about 60 degrees. I let the oil drain while I had a couple beers and in the end I actually got more out. The oil filter was completely dry so that may account for some of it. I filled up some of the new oil via the port for the oil filter

Old 03-22-2019, 08:33 AM
ShatterPoints is just really niceShatterPoints is just really niceShatterPoints is just really niceShatterPoints is just really nice
I would, oil does go rancid after sitting around for a while.

Old 03-22-2019, 11:57 AM
mikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of light
In theory main reason it is recommended to change oil before storage is to ensure there are no contaminants in the oil (fuel) that can corrode the internals.

Old 03-22-2019, 01:55 PM
lliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud of
My preference is to do as Shatter says, fresh oil before storage and then change as needed through the summer, bearing in mind you will have one last change before you store it again.

Ed

Old 03-22-2019, 02:23 PM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lliejk
My preference is to do as Shatter says, fresh oil before storage and then change as needed through the summer, bearing in mind you will have one last change before you store it again.

Ed
Yes this is the ideal situation but not his case. I still vote for draining without starting it.

Old 03-27-2019, 04:42 PM
mjgoldner is on a distinguished road
Oil Changed!!

Old 03-28-2019, 08:54 AM
What did you end up doing?

Old 04-01-2019, 09:44 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
I'm nervous each time I change the oil now because it seems to trigger the Cel p9021. I do suck out all of the oil in the filter housing with syringe and needle. Maybe the new filter needs to be irrigated or something? Anyway, the cel does go away
when cleared a couple of times so it's likely just debris in the system rather than camshaft failure....

Old 04-01-2019, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by The Bogg
I'm nervous each time I change the oil now because it seems to trigger the Cel p9021. I do suck out all of the oil in the filter housing with syringe and needle. Maybe the new filter needs to be irrigated or something? Anyway, the cel does go away
when cleared a couple of times so it's likely just debris in the system rather than camshaft failure....
After the oil change, do you pull the fuel pumps fuses and crank the engine over until you get oil pressure?

Old 04-02-2019, 05:06 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Err... no I don't pull any fuses when I change oil. I start the car once a month in winter and pull the coil fuse and crank it a couple of times before a full start but not at oil changes. Am I missing something?

Old 04-02-2019, 05:37 PM
Pmorritt is just really nicePmorritt is just really nicePmorritt is just really nicePmorritt is just really nice
Originally Posted by ShatterPoints
I would, oil does go rancid after sitting around for a while.
bullocks!

Old 04-05-2019, 08:12 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Would agree that you should change the oil BEFORE storing for winter. Many do a fresh oil change when summer arrives. As oil goes through heating and cooling cycles, it becomes more acidic. That is another reason oil change intervals have a time AND mileage trigger.
If you run oil through heat cycles and then store the vehicle, you leave acidic oil in the engine to eat away at the internals and gaskets. Best to change when you are done driving before storage, and put fuel stabilizer in the tank before putting it away....and you still have fresh oil when you pull it out for summer.

DC