997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Best track pads ? (road course)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 11:39 AM
Duckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud of
Best track pads ? (road course)

Hey all.

I do a few open track days a year (and I do mean track,.. not strip)

I swap rotors and pads for that. Have been using Pagid RS29 yellow endurance racing pads,.. which I loved in my previous track cars.

BUT,.. in the 997 TT, I find they aren't working well. Get hard on the brakes at the end of the straight and the fronts lock briefly,.. then I get a hard pedal and good, but not great braking. (ABS I presume)

My tech (who mostly supports SCCA cars) thinks it may be a temperature issue. The Pagids RS's have a huge Mu curve with temp.

SO it has been suggested to go to somethig with a gentler Mu curve,.. perhaps a Pagid RSL4 in ft and 2 in the rear?. Or perhaps Hawk 60's in ft and 70's in the rear?

Then my shock guy this morning was mentioning that the GT3 race cars have brakes by PFC. I think the entire setup,.. rotors calipers and all.

What are people with steel rotors using for road course?

Last edited by Duckstu; 03-23-2019 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:34 PM
997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !
subscribed

Old 03-24-2019, 03:23 PM
Dguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of light
For my track days, I use the PFC pads. Expensive but highly recommend them.

Old 03-24-2019, 06:24 PM
superslow is an unknown quantity at this point
Ive tried a bunch of different ones, the stock porsche pads seem to be really consistent for me.

Old 03-27-2019, 04:35 AM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
Try RS19’s on all four corners.

Last edited by VID997; 03-27-2019 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:39 AM
Duckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud of
Well,.. I have RS29's on all 4 corners,.. and they have a bit different bite,.. but a similar Mu curve to the 19's,.. and they're not working.

Fronts lock early.

Possible I need differing mu pads on each axle,... OR,.. it could be the fronts are getting hotter,.. and are way further up the mu/temp curve than the rears.

So I'm "guessing" that I either need differing bite pads ft and rear,... or perhaps just some pads with a milder mu curve.

I tried sending pm's to Webspoke in March,.. but he's gone dormant I think.

Old 05-18-2019, 09:46 AM
Dguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of light
While PFC pads are good, I'm starting to change my tune on them. They are tearing up my rotors. They generate way to much heat for the front stock drilled rotors on a heavier high horsepower Turbo at track events. I've been talking to Clark at Apex Performance. I'm currently switching rotors to the AP racing rotors and Ferodo DS1.11 pads. I've heard a lot of good things about these pads with those rotors. They don't generate as much heat, better pedal consistency and modulation and easier on your rotors. Getting them next week and have another track event early June so will let you all know how it goes.

Old 05-18-2019, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by superslow
Ive tried a bunch of different ones, the stock porsche pads seem to be really consistent for me.
Yeah if you're going really slow on a track day! Sorry I couldn't resist this response relative to your forum name

High horsepower turbo builds will burn through the stock pads after two days of track events. Trust me, I know.

Old 05-19-2019, 02:46 PM
DaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond repute
PFC, talk to Apex. I use Sebro slotted rotors and let em wear.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:10 AM
RickRST is a name known to allRickRST is a name known to allRickRST is a name known to allRickRST is a name known to allRickRST is a name known to allRickRST is a name known to all
I use RS29's on the front and stock on the rear. They have worked really well, but the stock are starting to break up on the rear. I have just fitted some RS29's on the rear so will see how they go when i head back to the ring.

RS29#s are very kind on the rotors so I also run them on the street without issue.