Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Lipstick on a Pig

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 11:10 PM
programmatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond repute
Lipstick on a Pig

Or should I say lipstick on a catfish?

I made some cosmetic mods to the Vantage. I added some yellow lipstick and changed the color of the rear diffusers. I also removed the ugly bumperettes and the (redundant) Aston Martin script from the rear bumper. Finally, I had full PPF installed -- satin for the black pieces including the roof and glossy everywhere else. I really like the new look and the car was well received at the local cars and coffee.

BEFORE

Stock front 3/4

Stock rear 3/4

AFTER

Lipstick on a catfish

Rear diffusers in yellow

Aston Martin script removed along with bumperettes

Old 03-24-2019, 06:30 AM
Viper98912 is an unknown quantity at this point
I've personally never liked the lipstick look (and lol on the catfish), but the way you did the front as just an inner trim looks great. The rear diffuser I personally think is too much yellow.

Old 03-24-2019, 06:37 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Anything done to the front is an improvement (Smile) Props for having the courage to be different. I think it improves the overall look. Remember this is all subjective. The most important thing is that YOU like it.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:25 AM
astonChap will become famous soon enough
tastefully done (probably not often said when yellow is used). double points for removing the aston lettering.

shes a beaut.

Old 03-24-2019, 09:30 AM
Dalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to behold
I think it looks great. A thin strip of yellow along the sill might look good, drawing the front and rear together.

Last edited by Dalecannavan; 03-24-2019 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:35 AM
V12Vin is on a distinguished road
Car looks amazing. Are the added yellow bits vinyl wrap or OEM? If the former, color matching is spot on!

Woah...wait up. The bumperettes are just stick-ons? Not bolted? Is removal of rear bumper needed? Need details my friend. Details!

Old 03-24-2019, 10:44 AM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
^ He had to get the humongous holes left by them filled (some pics of the process in the official picture thread).

You know I approve of lipstick... but I'm waiting for the response of someone on here who won't, and who loves to use the internet as a tool for making himself feel superior to others. lol

Old 03-24-2019, 10:45 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
I love your ride programmatore!

Old 03-24-2019, 11:05 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Agree, looks good

Old 03-24-2019, 11:59 AM
DoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of light
Looks absolutely amazing! I have a similar spec'd Vantage and will also be doing the bumperette removal in the coming weeks.

Was the lipstick and diffuser paint straight forward? Did your painter have to follow line breaks in the pieces?

Old 03-24-2019, 06:43 PM
programmatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks, guys! I really like the yellow accents. I wasn't sure at first so I did them in vinyl on top of the PPF so it's removable if I change my mind. The yellow vinyl is a very close match to the OEM yellow brake calipers. It didn't have to be an exact match since the calipers and the yellow accents aren't really next to each other. If the vinyl covering the rear aero pieces start peeling off then I may have the aero pieces painted an exact match to the calipers. As for the Aston Martin script/text and rear bumperettes, the decision to get rid of those was a no brainer -- the bumper looks so much cleaner without them!

Removing the bumperettes took a lot of work. First, behind the black bumperettes are metal extrusions that bolt on to the bumper (it made sense the Aston would just bolt on the metal pieces instead of making a US-specific bumper). Removing the bumperettes and underlying metal pieces left the bumper cover with two big holes that needed to be covered (plastic welded some cutouts), refinished, then painted to match. Removing the bumper was the hard part since it bolts on from the inside, requiring removal of the trunk liner, etc. There was also about 30 feet of wiring for the parking sensors and camera that had to be labeled (so they go in the right spot on re-assembly) then put out of the way. Here is a pic of the prep that gives you an idea on the size of the holes left after removing the metal extrusions.

The lipstick was also done in yellow vinyl. The shape was laid out using 3M knifeless vinyl tape following the shape of the front edge of the splitter.

Let me know if you have any questions,

-Gary

Old 03-25-2019, 05:20 AM
Graze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to all
Gary

big improvement all around mate -well done

i really like the rear diffuser and the way it ties in the calliper colour

enjoy

graeme

Old 03-25-2019, 07:48 AM
pearsonhaus will become famous soon enough
Nice! Definitely sets it apart!

Old 03-25-2019, 09:09 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
More like lipstick on a large mouth bass!

it's good to do it in vinyl... try it first to see how you like it....

Not my taste but then again many people have questioned my taste over the years...

best luck with your new ride and making it your own

Old 03-25-2019, 09:44 AM
Here's a pic of the bumperettes and the metal extrusions that bolt on to the bumper.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lipstick on a Pig