996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Which turbo for track???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 07:30 PM
Turbo Racer is on a distinguished road
Which turbo for track???

Hey all,

im looking for some hp improvement (maybe 600 hp at crank) with being totally safe for internals. I need something smooth with great response and dependable for track environment. No sudden spooling at the wrong time. Main application will be for track so I will need a tune as well.

Im looking for a nice long flat power band and something without any lag.

there are so many choices out there, I’m having a hard time figuring out what to get. I’m thinking about a k-16 platform.

I am also not sure about which exhaust I want to go with. The ones I like so far in no particular order are Kline, speedtech, eb works and unobtainium. Leaning towards the first two due to price/availability.

Main in thing is that this car will likely see 30+ track days a year so these things will need to hold up to that kinda of sustained intensity.

Old 04-07-2019, 09:27 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like a busy track season for you and you know the platform which is good. Others will say the same to pick a tuners who can offer a package for you. sambo/Marski/Kevin/John can all offer exhaust/turbo/tune combos. When I looked into this the K16-billet was the right road course turbo along with tune and free flowing exhaust. You may want to choose an exhaust with bypass pipes as a track option to ensure you don’t blow out the cats with 30 track days. Let us know which route you go.

Old 04-07-2019, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by Etchhead
Sounds like a busy track season for you and you know the platform which is good. Others will say the same to pick a tuners who can offer a package for you. sambo/Marski/Kevin/John can all offer exhaust/turbo/tune combos. When I looked into this the K16-billet was the right road course turbo along with tune and free flowing exhaust. You may want to choose an exhaust with bypass pipes as a track option to ensure you don’t blow out the cats with 30 track days. Let us know which route you go.
thanks for this. How has your experience been in track? What setup did you go with?

Old 04-08-2019, 12:27 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
You will probably want some of the quicker spooling turbos for track use. K16 billets or some A28 type turbos would be a good place to start.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:03 AM
jdexter is a splendid one to beholdjdexter is a splendid one to beholdjdexter is a splendid one to beholdjdexter is a splendid one to beholdjdexter is a splendid one to beholdjdexter is a splendid one to beholdjdexter is a splendid one to behold
I went to xona xr770s for this very reason. My first track days are end of april. I will report back. My setup for these is on my other thread...

Old 04-08-2019, 12:08 PM
^That would be great to hear your feedback. I think it will be a fun mod but I want to make sure I’m doing it correctly. What bothers me is the possibility of too much boost at the wrong time-ouch!

looking forward to hearing other people’s comments

Old 04-08-2019, 01:19 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Op- I have tracked several cars in the past and a smooth linear powerband has always been my preference. My flashed/exhaust/track suspension K16 was quite good. I only had the EPL 100oct file, high flow exhaust, and GT2RS ICs and had plenty of power. My hindrances were brakes and soft PSS9s. That car still ran 1:40 at Laguna Seca. Later I bought a built GMG car with 3.8 and big turbos. It spun was not as predictable or smooth but had brakes/suspension sorted. I’ve also ran GT3/GT350R/Radical that all had linear power. I say give the stock turbos a go and update supporting mods. When ready for more power a billet upgrade could be a great next step.

My current build has K16 billet, suspension, big brakes, exhaust, and other supporting mods. Slippery slope but realize your 7.2RS is now a bit too nice for the track- although the ultimate bar Cup.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:56 PM
Op- I have tracked several cars in the past and a smooth linear powerband has always been my preference. My flashed/exhaust/track suspension K16 was quite good. I only had the EPL 100oct file, high flow exhaust, and GT2RS ICs and had plenty of power. My hindrances were brakes and soft PSS9s. That car still ran 1:40 at Laguna Seca. Later I bought a built GMG car with 3.8 and big turbos. It spun was not as predictable or smooth but had brakes/suspension sorted. I’ve also ran GT3/GT350R/Radical that all had linear power. I say give the stock turbos a go and update supporting mods. When ready for more power a billet upgrade could be a great next step.

My current build has K16 billet, suspension, big brakes, exhaust, and other supporting mods. Slippery slope but realize your 7.2RS is now a bit too nice for the track- although the ultimate bar Cup.
that makes a lot of sense and I’m glad to hear it. I’m doing a bit of suspension work and the exhaust so I’m looking forward to shaking things out. Car has been in the shop for a month!! Adding some pic

Gt3RS uprights

tures

Old 04-08-2019, 06:01 PM
trillypop is an unknown quantity at this point

That is definitely sound advice. Yes, stock k16s do fall off a bit at high rpms, but they provide pretty linear power which is important for track use. I say get your suspension and brakes sorted, do full bolt-ons with stock turbos, and track it for a while. If and when you feel the need for more power, then revisit this topic.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by trillypop
That is definitely sound advice. Yes, stock k16s do fall off a bit at high rpms, but they provide pretty linear power which is important for track use. I say get your suspension and brakes sorted, do full bolt-ons with stock turbos, and track it for a while. If and when you feel the need for more power, then revisit this topic.
i appreciate that!

Old 04-12-2019, 10:31 AM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !
Sounds like you need a gt3. Turbos are horrible for track use.

Old 04-12-2019, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
Sounds like you need a gt3. Turbos are horrible for track use.
Ha! Maybe. But no, for now I’m content with giving this project a chance to grow and develop. I think the car will handle better than stock gt3 when I’m done and have more power than 997.2 gt3. We will see.

Old 04-14-2019, 06:54 AM
arjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond repute
stock set up will do well at the track unless you're doing serious competition but then again you'll classed differently. I'll invest more on suspension (Motons) , brakes,shifter, and cooling, and oh TIRES! From the factory these cars are capable.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:20 AM
Fadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond repute
I have tracked my 996tt with gt3082 turbos, RWD, KW v3 suspension and was hard to control it.
Ditched the gt30s and went with gtx2863 and AWD, my lap times got better by 2-3 seconds on a 1:40s track
Then converted to RWD and got quite the same times, maybe a bit better. Car was FUN in RWD, and needed different style of driving too

Imo these turbos are really good for track if running 1-1.1bar, but having them run 1.3-1.5++ bar will give a lot of torque (also having mild build engine to support that), the middle rpms torque is too much, and I had to do boost vs rpm and lower the boost target in the middle rpms. Therefor I am considering now maybe gtx3071 gen2 even over g25-660 or future g28-770. I really like the way the gt30s hit (had also Tial Alpha3076) and mybe some small turbos like gtx3067/gtx3071 small AR or big AR gt2871/73 with some nice fine tuning would be the best of all worlds... I guess will go gtx3071 gen2 with 0.63AR and 1.3bar setting for track, mayeb EFRs would be even better, idk..

Old 04-18-2019, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by Fadi
I have tracked my 996tt with gt3082 turbos, RWD, KW v3 suspension and was hard to control it.
Ditched the gt30s and went with gtx2863 and AWD, my lap times got better by 2-3 seconds on a 1:40s track
Then converted to RWD and got quite the same times, maybe a bit better. Car was FUN in RWD, and needed different style of driving too

Imo these turbos are really good for track if running 1-1.1bar, but having them run 1.3-1.5++ bar will give a lot of torque (also having mild build engine to support that), the middle rpms torque is too much, and I had to do boost vs rpm and lower the boost target in the middle rpms. Therefor I am considering now maybe gtx3071 gen2 even over g25-660 or future g28-770. I really like the way the gt30s hit (had also Tial Alpha3076) and mybe some small turbos like gtx3067/gtx3071 small AR or big AR gt2871/73 with some nice fine tuning would be the best of all worlds... I guess will go gtx3071 gen2 with 0.63AR and 1.3bar setting for track, mayeb EFRs would be even better, idk..
thanks for chiming in. I’ve been doing a lot of research and reading all I can. Lots of good information and lots of stuff to learn. I was thinking about a lot of different options out there. I was thinking anywhere from leaving it stock to upgrading to stock k-24 turbos to the 16/24 hybrid and others.

I had an opportunity to sit down today with a local guy who does nothing but turbos for the last 35 years! This guy was great and he told me a lot about the different things that go into the turbo and what options suit me the best.

In the end I decided on a billet k-16/24 setup. I think for my plans to run 1.1-1.2 bar max, I will be in great shape.

Hope your choice works works out good for you. I don’t know really anything about those kinds of turbos but I’d love to hear what you decide and how it works out for you. Cheers!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Which turbo for track???