996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Stereo Help - Replace or Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 07:24 PM
PoidaGT is a jewel in the roughPoidaGT is a jewel in the roughPoidaGT is a jewel in the roughPoidaGT is a jewel in the rough
Stereo Help - Replace or Upgrade?

Hi Guys

I have a 2002 996tt and my stereo system just doesn't work anymore.
The head unit powers up OK and it was seemed to have an intermittent short (loud) in the months leading up to it dying.
I have been complementing a double din upgrade but didn't wan't to upgrade amp and speakers if i could avoid it.
i don't believe i have the Optical Fibre amplifiers from inspecting the car (can somebody please confirm what system i have?)
Is there a way i can test the amplifiers to check if they are still OK?
Any recommendations in regards to replacing the amplifiers if upgrading to a double din unit?

Old 04-13-2019, 09:17 PM
gabbys is an unknown quantity at this point
year 02 doesnt hv the MOST system...
u can simply upgrade a single din headunit and connect to amp, or by pass it and connect with speaker directly..

i have a 02 turbo too...but i got a double din. found out that i should leave the original headunit stay there for information

Old 04-15-2019, 08:08 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
I think you will find that most after-market head units put out more power and better sound than your current head unit. I replaced my HU first and was impressed with just that much of a swap. I eventually continued and replaced everything because it just kept getting better whenever I changed something..

Old 04-17-2019, 10:56 PM
Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !

I did mine myself, sourced all the components from CAI.
If you start from an existing Bose system it's actually a bit more engaged.
Kenwood HU, Alpine amp and some focal speakers. Perfect !
Still looking to find an optimal solution for my subwoofer, which is a pain in the cab...

Last edited by Yves; 04-17-2019 at 10:59 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:06 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
It's best to make your own sub box - nothing else will fit perfectly. This one only uses space that would be wasted otherwise...

Old 04-18-2019, 12:51 PM
Stebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Yves

I did mine myself, sourced all the components from CAI.
If you start from an existing Bose system it's actually a bit more engaged.
Kenwood HU, Alpine amp and some focal speakers. Perfect !
Still looking to find an optimal solution for my subwoofer, which is a pain in the cab...
I too have a cab and went with the Bill Jehle box. It mounts an 8" in the factory Bose footwell location. It is definitely a compromise having a sub in a cab!

Old 04-19-2019, 10:05 PM
Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Stebo
I too have a cab and went with the Bill Jehle box. It mounts an 8" in the factory Bose footwell location. It is definitely a compromise having a sub in a cab!
Do you get decent bass ?

Old 04-20-2019, 01:32 AM
jayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Stebo
Nice looking setup. I only wish the high-end CarPlay units cam with a volume/on-off **** rather than buttons...guess you can’t do that on a touchscreen though!

Old 04-20-2019, 08:35 AM
Stebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Yves
Do you get decent bass ?
Decent? My car whams!! Yes it is a really good setup. I put a kicker comp rt 8" in that bill jehle box... one thing to note is you'll have to have the box carpeted. It comes in raw fiberglass. The box is really thick, excellent build quality.

Last edited by Stebo; 04-20-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:45 PM
p.bateman is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by gabbys

i have a 02 turbo too...but i got a double din. found out that i should leave the original headunit stay there for information
What information is missed when upgrading to the double DIN unit?

Old 05-06-2019, 09:45 PM
DaveMo will become famous soon enoughDaveMo will become famous soon enough
I replaced the whole unit with a Kenwood DNX893S including all the wiring and speakers. Definitely a nice upgrade for the car.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by p.bateman
oil consumption etc

Old 05-07-2019, 07:14 AM
p.bateman is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by gabbys
oil consumption etc

Thank you - I am new to this.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:53 AM
Originally Posted by p.bateman
I have no idea what this poster was referring to. The stock double din can give you Nav info (but not if you have 01 - no map updates will ever be available). Other than that, there is no "extra" information provided.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:59 AM

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stereo Help - Replace or Upgrade?