996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Another Tire & Wheel Setup Question - Old Threads are Outdated

Old 04-17-2019, 08:22 AM
robkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Another Tire & Wheel Setup Question - Old Threads are Outdated

Okay, I have a bone stock 2003 996 911 Silver Convertible with horrible wheels, I have to say, they are the worst ones Porsche made. I NEED to upgrade. (and I have a flat tire I just found out this morning in my rear, ugh.) This is my 5th Porsche, including 996 TT, 1985 911 Convertible, Panamera e-Hybrid and some other 911's.

Here is what I want to have a look of: I LOVE the GTS and GT3 RS Wheels, the black, staggered look, and I know I cannot have this since they are not the same car. I'm not a moron. What I do know is that I know nothing about offset, tire size, wheel size, width, etc. I know what they all mean, I don't need an education, but I am TERRIFIED I am going to order wheels that stick out to far, not enough, or look horrible. Since there is literally zero place to go and see it before you buy it, I feel doomed.

I am turning to your help since you may not be experts either, but have learned from mistakes or been happy with upgrading. I The photo I uploaded is the wheels I love. But, again, with a narrow body, it prob wont look very good or even close, so maybe I should not bother. I also like the BBS style wheels, but I really wanted a small lip in back with those style. I suppose I am not going to know exactly what I want until I see it.

Anyone interested in sharing a photo of their car with wheels like I describe (don't upload from internet at random since we don't know the specs) I have seen enough images, I need to know the sizes that will work for me.

1. I do not track the car, it's a daily driver, weekend toy.
2. Yes, my wife and I both drive it, so it needs to be comfortable as well as look nice
3. Budget is not my friend. I know I can spend thousands, i'm not looking to do that. I think a good pair of Avant Garde with tires is about $2,000 and that is reasonable if I have to go that route, but less is better.

Thanks you all and I appreciate honest positive feedback.

Old 04-18-2019, 11:55 AM
Stone_05 is on a distinguished road
I have a C4S which is a wide body so I can't assist you too much here based on your wheel needs, but I'd start with the stock wheel offset that you currently have. You can easily find the wheel offset for a narrow body 911(ET65 Rear and ET50 Front I believe). Then it will be your preference on how far you want the wheels to extend out towards the fenders. Lower offset = closer to the fender. Higher offset = tucked inside the fender. You can also contact tire rack and they will tell you what offset will work depending on your preference as well. Are you going with 18's or 19's? Tire sizes will also determine how the wheels will look with certain offsets. Also try 1010tires website. It will give you enough information on offsets and how they work.