Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Interesting situation on New(ish) V12S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 09:54 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Interesting situation on New(ish) V12S

I recently traded my Onyx black 2015 V12S with black interior on a Magnetic Silver 2017 with Sahara Tan interior (new, left over) from O'Gara. Everything's incredible except the car has the plain plastic switches instead of the nice glass switches that I assumed came with all V12 Vantages as I've never seen a V12 without them. My VIN number suggests a very late build, but not the last one. When I bought the car I found an on-line configurator that showed glass switches and a back-up cam on the 2017 V12S as a convenience option - started to freak out that the car did not have a back-up cam either? Turns out it does and that (non-AM) configuration software was wrong.

So I looked at every other advertised V12S and found one other that also had plastic switches, a similar but later VIN# than mine. I tried to order the $570 switch kit, but that's no longer available. All this leads to AM likely running out of parts at the end of the production run. I ordered the buttons separately from Aston Martin Bits ($855),

Then I found an interesting Aston Martin document - looks like I was right - Glass Switches are a standard feature of the V12S Vantages. Yesterday I wrote my customer contacts at Aston Martin USA and in England about the situation and asked at a minimum that Aston Martin should pay the labor at Morries AM for the installation, and the right thing to do is to reimburse me for the $855 on switches that should have been on the car in the first place. That was yesterday - have not heard anything yet - as soon as I do, I'll report what the response is.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:17 AM
lilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud of
Could it be the prior owner opted not to have glass switches when originally ordered?

Old 04-17-2019, 10:22 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
No prior owner. There are a few left over 2017's that were on dealers lots - if they list them as used, the dealer can advertise discounted pricing, however, the warranty begins when it goes from new to used status - these are new cars with just demo miles on them.

Old 04-17-2019, 01:04 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Rooting for you

Old 04-17-2019, 04:03 PM
Another quick question - the 2016 DB9 and 2016/7 V12S ski-slope looks identical - Aston Martin Bits said that Aston wont guarantee interchangeability - looking to see if I can get that in wood instead of carbon fiber - anyone know more?

Old 04-17-2019, 06:51 PM
As far as ski slope on the 2016/2017 Aston Martin Bits shows the same part listed for the 2016 DB9 and also the 2016/7 V12S Vantage - so I guess that answers that!

Old 04-17-2019, 07:29 PM
Viper98912 is an unknown quantity at this point
Maybe they just ran out of parts like you said. Hopefully they do something for you, but unless you're someone to them (you've bought multiple new cars from them with many options, etc), then they probably won't. Worth a shot though!

Old 04-17-2019, 07:41 PM
This will be my 9th Aston over about 30+ years, and I'm probably responsible for influencing a few dozen sales, mostly used - some new. So you would think that's worth something - we will see! I told Mike, the Minneapolis service rep he will probably get a call from AM - and to also request at a minimum of installation to also include the glove box and seat switches while they are at it. It's in service getting CilaJet ceramic coating and Xpel full front clip, then they will ship it to Minnesota - so I have some time. I tool my wheel spacers off the previous car to be put on this one also. I'll get the scrape armor installed locally - I like to give Morries AM the business because they take great care of me - never a problem.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:50 PM
Viper98912 is an unknown quantity at this point
Then in that case, raise hell if they don't!

Old 04-18-2019, 12:52 AM
V12Vin is on a distinguished road
Prefurbia, do you have the window sticker by any any chance?

Just checked my '17 V12SM window sticker. Glass switches are indeed an option. Listed as $570.

I reckon at some point during the '17 production, Assortment Pack (or convenience pack) was introduced. This pack bundled up the glass switches, second glass ecu, front sensors and reverse cam. All of which was ordered separately on my car. I distinctively remember having this conversation with my AM rep.

And IIRC, reverse cam became standard too, which was not listed anywhere on the window sticker.

Old 04-18-2019, 05:48 AM
I thought about the 'convenience pack theory, but the front parking sensors and second glass key were add-ons, but the reverse cam is not. Still, the last minute 'convenience pack' I think was an answer to running out of glass switches at the end of the run - why not charge even more! The only cars I saw with plastic switches were late VIN's - mines 2981, and I saw one in the 3000's on line. Is yours a late built also? I wish the glass switches were just $570, but since you can't order the option anymore, it enforces they ran out. Either way it's not right.