Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Brake Fluid go bad if a car has been sitting for 3.5 years?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 05:37 PM
MBi
MBi is an unknown quantity at this point
Brake Fluid go bad if a car has been sitting for 3.5 years?

Got a Bentley Continental GT that has been sitting for 3.5 years with less than 100 miles. Dealer says everything is fine but would brake fluid go bad even if unused after 3.5 years?

Old 04-18-2019, 12:24 AM
sirrichi is an unknown quantity at this point
I would change it. It is such a small work to be done with around 100-150USD. It is not worth taking the risk that the fluid integrated some water over the years and then damage the brake system for just saving a few bucks. Plus: The car is really heavy so the last part that I personally wouold try to save money is on the braking

Old 04-18-2019, 03:06 AM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by sirrichi
I would change it. It is such a small work to be done with around 100-150USD. It is not worth taking the risk that the fluid integrated some water over the years and then damage the brake system for just saving a few bucks. Plus: The car is really heavy so the last part that I personally wouold try to save money is on the braking
Total agree.

Question this dealer foo. Hope he said to change oil and filter too.

Old 04-18-2019, 04:14 AM
Rico.Adams is an unknown quantity at this point
All depends on the mileage, have a look in the brake fluid reservoir if the fluid look dirty. brake fluid last many years but water contamination can accrue over time. As the guys have posted its best to be safe & flush it out, peace of mind ...

Old 04-18-2019, 04:53 AM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
Yes, I would flush it. Nothing to lose and a recommendation many manufacturers give. I do my cars approximately once every two years. In fact, just did my GT two weeks ago and mentioned in my rear brake pad change thread.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic and, in the old days, caused serious issues with braking integrity. These days, (for about 20 years now), water ingress is the lesser problem. Now the more important reason to flush with new fluid is the additive package in modern brake fluids become depleted. Once they're gone, the fluid becomes acidic and begins to leach copper out from brake lines and other components. Fluid too old can eventually breach a brake line. Rare, but can happen.

Old 04-18-2019, 04:59 AM
Originally Posted by BWings
Yes, I would flush it. Nothing to lose and a recommendation many manufacturers give. I do my cars approximately once every two years. In fact, just did my GT two weeks ago and mentioned in my rear brake pad change thread.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic and, in the old days, caused serious issues with braking integrity. These days, (for about 20 years now), water ingress is the lesser problem. Now the more important reason to flush with new fluid is the additive package in modern brake fluids become depleted. Once they're gone, the fluid becomes acidic and begins to leach copper out from brake lines and other components. Fluid too old can eventually breach a brake line. Rare, but can happen.
Hola BWings, off the subject of brake fluid, you going to laugh put I can't remove the rear courtesy light, any tips ...

Old 04-18-2019, 05:36 AM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Rico.Adams
Hola BWings, off the subject of brake fluid, you going to laugh put I can't remove the rear courtesy light, any tips ...
Hola Mr. Rico - Rear courtesy light as in rear seat courtesy light, rear center console? Not sure where you are in the car...LOL....

If it is the rear center console, I've not done one, and I'd suggest Mr. Johnny.....He DAMAN!

Old 04-18-2019, 05:45 AM
Originally Posted by BWings
Hola Mr. Rico - Rear courtesy light as in rear seat courtesy light, rear center console? Not sure where you are in the car...LOL....

If it is the rear center console, I've not done one, and I'd suggest Mr. Johnny.....He DAMAN!
Its the rear top on the headliner, boy its tuff don't want to break the lugs where ever they are ... Lol

Old 04-18-2019, 06:50 AM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
When in doubt flush it out and by the way only use Dot 4 brake fluid. Dot 4 has a higher boiling point then Dot 3. Dot 4 is required not recommended.

There is also a sequence of bleeding for the ABS. The procedure is performed through the Ross Tech vcds. There are a series of internal electronic pumps through the ABS that clear any residual old fluid in the system. Although the conventional brake bleeding is adequate it doesn't entirely clear the ABS. Perhaps someone who's familiar with this procedure could post a better explanation that I have?

Last edited by 1eapplebaum; 04-18-2019 at 07:01 AM.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:54 AM
Have you guys seen them YouTube videos Alpine Performance, Lol I thought that was Johnny, its not but boy he rips that Bentley to bits ...

Old 04-18-2019, 06:57 AM
Well Im wishing you all a Happy Easter enjoying eating all them eggs ... lol

Old 04-18-2019, 07:44 AM
MBi
MBi is an unknown quantity at this point
The car has less than 100 miles but has been sitting almost 3.5 years unused. The Dealer response was "What Service? The car has less than 100 miles" so I asked for service managers opinion to check the brake fluid.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:00 AM
How to do your own Brake Fluid Test ...

As with every other fluid in your car, brake fluid contains a main ingredient along with protective additives. The main ingredient in brake fluid doesn’t degrade, but the additives do. The most important additive is a corrosion inhibitor. The corrosion inhibitor prevents internal rusting of steel brake lines, calipers and ABS (antilock brake system) components. Once the inhibitors are exhausted, even minute amounts of moisture can cause dangerous and costly corrosion.

Most car manufacturers recommend a complete brake fluid flush every two years or 24,000 miles. Rather than rely on a general recommendation, you can test the actual condition of your brake fluid. To check your brake fluid, remove the cover of the master cylinder and dip a strip into the fluid. Shake off the excess fluid and wait 60 seconds before comparing the color of the strip with the guide on the brake fluid tester package.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:05 AM
Originally Posted by MBi
The car has less than 100 miles but has been sitting almost 3.5 years unused. The Dealer response was "What Service? The car has less than 100 miles" so I asked for service managers opinion to check the brake fluid.
In reply to the service manager - Factory recommended services have both mileage and time elements. And, of course, SOME service items (items that pertain to wear) stand still without mileage, and others do relate to the "clock". You don't mention the MY of your car...does it actually only have 100 miles, or only driven 100 miles in the last 3.5 years?

But, back to the brake fluid. Brake fluids, being hygroscopic, WILL absorb moisture EVEN standing still for 3.5 years. Here are the service requirements from the factory, along with the service type. It would appear the factory recommends a 2 year interval on brake fluid replacement given it is on the "B" list.

One caveat, these recommendation are for the first series Continentals, and if you car is more like a 2015/2016, they might have been updated.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:07 AM
Originally Posted by Rico.Adams
How to do your own Brake Fluid Test ...

As with every other fluid in your car, brake fluid contains a main ingredient along with protective additives. The main ingredient in brake fluid doesn’t degrade, but the additives do. The most important additive is a corrosion inhibitor. The corrosion inhibitor prevents internal rusting of steel brake lines, calipers and ABS (antilock brake system) components. Once the inhibitors are exhausted, even minute amounts of moisture can cause dangerous and costly corrosion.

Most car manufacturers recommend a complete brake fluid flush every two years or 24,000 miles. Rather than rely on a general recommendation, you can test the actual condition of your brake fluid. To check your brake fluid, remove the cover of the master cylinder and dip a strip into the fluid. Shake off the excess fluid and wait 60 seconds before comparing the color of the strip with the guide on the brake fluid tester package.
Here here......ON THE MONEY.......

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid go bad if a car has been sitting for 3.5 years?